TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe pubchristmas lightscatch of the dayfish pielovely old puboverlooking the harbourfishing villagest austell brewerykippersspecials boardbay windowgreat roomlovely foodlovely locationcooked to perfectionan evening mealcar park
Reviewed 6 February 2018

This was a nice hotel directly overlooking the picturesque harbour of Mousehole. It might not be top end but for the price we paid is worth a top rating. We had room three which has a direct view of the harbour. A very comfortable room with all you would need. The staff could not do enough for you and the beer is good as well. Parking for us was fine but I could see it might be a problem in the height of the season.

Room Tip: Room three has fabulous views.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bobbelar
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Thank you for leaving this review. I'll have to agree with you and say the view is outstanding. We hope you will return very soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2018

We didn’t stay at The Ship. We just went here for dinner and we had a very enjoyable evening.The food was excellent, especially the fish & chips. The staff & locals were very friendly. Made us feel very welcome. Great location right on the harbour. Would recommend a visit if you are in the area.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Thank you for leaving us this great review. We hope to see you back again in the near future,

Reviewed 18 January 2018

A great value winter break! Mousehole, as you might guess from it's name, is a place where most things are small and cosy. My room lived up to that and was very comfortable. The service and welcome at The Ship was as good as ever and Kate and her patient staff couldn't do enough to help me despite my habit of losing my room key!. The locals in the bar always welcome those who take the trouble to socialise and are always ready to suggest interesting things for visitors to do during their stay. The food is excellent and I enjoyed many great evening meals and breakfasts. I'd recommend the beef casserole. My retired Royal Navy chef friend and his wife (Helston residents) both enjoyed their meals in the restaurant as my guest and have vowed to return with other friends in the future. To quote Douglas MacArthur; "I shall return" (as I have done some 8 or so times)!

Room Tip: They're all good actually but not all have a sea view.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Thank you for your lovely review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and all our staff made you feel comfortable and at ease, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

We popped in to catch up with a few friends and left feeling merry and with twenty more!
All of the staff were delightful, insightful, knowledgeable and we were welcomed from the outset. Knowing a few of the locals always helps but on this occasion we were adopted by all in minutes, laughing joking sharing a tail or two we were sad to have to leave. Prices at the bar aren’t the cheapest but the food is excellent and the service excellent, for any of you from the Home Counties you will probably think the bar is cheap. My advice to all is if you are passing or stopping and able to partake in a drink or food it’s worth a visit you are most likely to not want to leave.
Well done all.

Room Tip: Many have views across the bay!
Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Thank you for sharing your recent visit with us. We are really pleased you liked all the aspects of the visit. We hope to see you back again very soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Was looking forward to visiting The Ship again having last eaten here just over a year ago when we found the food to be of a very high standard. In fact, their Fish Pie was the best we'd ever tasted!! Unfortunately, our experience this week bears no comparison whatsoever! We found the Sunday lunch to be very 'tired' and less than freshly prepared but were very much hoping that this would be a 'one off' and visited later in the week determined to sample that fish pie! Bad decision....fish pie recipe was nothing special and the crab and pasta dish which my wife had was a bland, congealed plate of pasta with very little crab meat, lot of cress! and an unseasoned sauce. Visiting Mousehole again later this year and very much hope that things have improved, as we find The Ship overall to be a lovely place to have a drink - lovely atmosphere and friendly, obliging staff ( apart from the chef!!)

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple