“Great - don't miss”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2017

Great restaurant located at St Michael's

Fab seafood restaurant that shouldn't be missed

Staff were ultra friendly as well

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Menu look so interesting it was difficult to chose.
I plumped for beer battered fish and chips. Goose fat fried chips,pea puree and fresh made sauce accompanied a tasty piece of fish.
My wife had poussin chicken which although looked good actually strangely had no taste, so left her a little disappointed.
We didn't stay for desserts so a limited and mixed experience.
Having aperitifs against the view was fantastic though.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

We live in Falmouth. Dined here on Saturday night. 2 of us ordered Skate Wing and side orders of skinny fries and beetroot salad. Skate wing turned out to be skate middle in both cases. Skinny fries were leathery skin on and looked like oven chips. Beetroot salad was chunks of dried up beets but the star of the show was the skate. It was dark undercooked and stank of ammonia and was completely inedible. The smell was so strong I can't understand how it wasn't detected by the chef. It was so disgusting and the rest of the food on the plate so unappealing that we decided to forego dinner and just finished our drinks paid for them and left disappointed and hungry. Holly the waitress handled the situation with professionalism and respect so thank you Holly.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

This review isn't to put people off going, it's to give feedback to the restaurant in the hope they can change people experience at the flying fish. On arrival at the bar I had asked for a San Miguel... I was served a carlsberg. I asked if it was the right beer and immediately the bar staff went to throw it away, which I stopped her doing as it would of been a waste. Usually a mistake is a free drink and you don't get charged. Especially the same price as a San Miguel. My friend had a San Miguel but served in a 1970's classic pint glass, where the beer doesn't perform or hold it's taste. You can't serve premium lagers at £5 a pint and say sorry we have ran out of glasses. That really is not good enough at all. When the starters arrived there was a little mix up on the order but was dealt with quickly. I had ordered calamari with sweet chilli sauce.... now I don't know about you but when I hear sweet chilli sauce I don't want a 1/4 of a teaspoons worth dotted on the plate. The dish was crying out for some sauce!! I would of asked for some but nobody came over to check if everything was ok. Drinks down, 12 people sat empty glassed and not a sign of anyone thinking oh maybe we should see if they need anything else?!? So we had to ask a waitress if we order at the bar or what? It's not as if they were under staffed either. Most of the main courses were good but a couple were overcooked, like the turbot. I had ordered a gurnard madras.... which to me would of been a curry?!? Don't get me wrong the flavours of the dish worked well and were great tasting.... but I have never seen such a small plate of food. Hardly any fish on the plate at all and it took literally around 90 seconds to finish. Not my idea of a main meal. Again I had to leave the table to go and ask for some mayonnaise for a friend as she couldn't get anyones attention. Again nobody asked if everything was ok?!? Eventually the mayonnaise arrived.... when we had pretty much finished. As it was a birthday party we had brought a cake down. I had mentioned cream a few times and shared a joke with one of the waiters making sure we could please get some cream out with the cake..... it did finally arrive on my last mouthful. Little things like that had just accumulated over the course of the evening and were starting to really get to people. I have to class it as the worst service I have ever received in Falmouth, which I don't like to say but last nights meal wasn't a pleasant experience at all. At the end of the evening again I had to get up and chase the bill up as nobody was there, they were just chatting at the bar. The bill wasn't even typed into the till! It was a pre order!! Why is this not sorted out already I thought. 10-15 minutes later we got the bill. Then the fun started.... paying for our meals was a absolute shambles and took the best part of 15 minutes! Took up most of my patience too! We were told we had to pay at reception if we wanted to pay separately, but pay for the drinks at the bar? Mine and my girlfriends meals and drinks were £46 which I had in cash so I paid and left to wait outside. The confusion and unorganised mess that followed was unbelievable. I don't know the exact conversations that went on but not being able to put a total on the table and then subtract each persons payments?!? Well I have never seen anything like it. Was a complete embarrassment for the st michaels hotel. They may serve some nice food at the flying fish and have beautiful views, but yesterday was shocking. Give the calamari some sauce, get some sort of structure with the staff, maybe a calculator too. This had scored 1/5 but in truth and sorry to say my experience was 1/10.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

Spent 40 minutes waiting for a table - although they did apologise for this. The food was ok but you would never get fat on it and the deserts were just ridiculously expensive - £7.50 for a scoop of ice cream!