“Great real surf and turf”
Review of Falmouth Shell bar - CLOSED

Falmouth Shell bar
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Cuisines: Cuban, Seafood, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Shell Bar serves fresh seafood and tiki cocktails, We have space for over 50 people seated ,you are also welcome To come in for just drinks too .
Reviewed 10 October 2016

We always choose very carefully where we eat as the menu tells you everything from the outset. So being a Saturday we knew that having not booked we would have to be pretty quick about selecting which restaurant to eat at. We had seen a very well balanced restaurant which had a great fish selection called Cubanas whilst shopping earlier in the day and had decided we would go there for their mixed seafood platter as it sounded great. We got there for about 7pm and were lucky enough to get the last table that hadn't been booked. We had already decided what we were going to have as mains but were then presented with a specials menu too. This changed the whole event as they had a true surf and turf on. An 8 oz steak with a quarter lobster, whole shell on king prawn and 2 peeled king prawns with chips and salad. So we both decided to have that and then chose our starters. My wife had chorizo with foccacia and I ordered the brie and serano ham with foccacia. The waiter cam back over an apologized that they did not have any brie left as they had been so busy so was there anything else I fancied. So I chose what I was going to have first of all, the grilled mussels in garlic butter with salad. Our starters turned up and they were both very good with the mussels not over cooked like so many places do. We had a bottle of Proseco to wash it all down with and then the surf and turf came out. This was great but being a quarter lobster makes you wonder what you will get. Well I was given a half tail and my wife had a full claw back to connection at the body. So we were both very impressed as there was king prawns with it to. The only change I would make if I was doing it was I think if I was serving this to a table of 2 I would have made sure their lobster quarter was the same as I felt I got the better end of the deal. We then decided rather than having another bottle of Proseco that we would have a cocktail as they had a good selection of those on offer, my wife had a deep sea diver and I had a Long Island iced tea. They were both very good. To finish up I had the cheese board and because they didn't have the brie they did it at half price, which I didn't expect but was very nice gesture. The staff were all pretty good although very hectic as they were so busy but this will be another place that we will return to if down in the Falmouth area again. Cant wait for our boat to be fixed so that next time we can stay on her and be in Falmouth for even longer.

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

This started out as a Cuban tapas bar and is now migrating to a seafood restaurant with a restricted tapas style starter menu. Seems to have lost its theme and doesn't quite know what it is.....but food good service with a smile, clean loos. Hygiene rating 3, fish tank could do with a clean.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

We looked for somewhere to eat for seafood in Falmouth and wasn't disappointed at Cubanas. They offer a seafood platter for two which is fresh, a great selection and really tasty. I'm not too keen on seafood so I had steak which was cooked to perfection. The restaurant itself is situated on the main street in Falmouth, it's very cosy and relaxed. The cocktails are amazing too and Cubanas is perfect if you're staying in Falmouth for a few days and want to try the local seafood - if definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

This is our third visit to cubanas this little gem of a restaurant has a wonderful ambiance and the food is excellent value for money. We would highly recommend it is our favourite restaurant in Falmouth by far. Not to be missed if ur visiting town.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

Based on reviews and looking at the Special's Board, we booked a table last week. We ordered a starter of olives and bread, to be followed by Sea Bass and Lemon Sole. My husband enjoyed the starter. Our main courses arrived, unfortunately, not at the same time. We asked for guidance with filleting, which was given in a helpful way. It was only halfway during our meal that we noticed that the additional sauce, as advertised was not brought to our table. We had to ask for that.
We got the impression that Cubanas could do with some more staff in the kitchen and in front of house. The customer toilets were not great.