“Brilliant!”

Ranked #33 of 233 Restaurants in Falmouth
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Gem Fish Bar is a traditional, family run fish and chip shop. Serving good quality food with our fish coming from a fully sustainable source. We are fully licensed, with a varied menu including: vegetarian, children’s, senior citizen’s meals (available all day) and desserts. There is a restaurant that can seat 45 welcoming reservations and a takeaway which food can be preordered for pick up. Opening Times:Tuesday: 4.30pm-9pmWednesday-Saturday: 11.30am-2pm & 4.30pm-9pm
Reviewed 26 September 2016

This is a great place to go for fish n chips! Whether you have take away or eat in, the service and food are so good. I treat myself to eating in and regularly have the 'OAP Special' and it is consistently good in fact I have never had a bad meal! The staff are always efficient, friendly and remember the regulars but they equally treat new customers and holiday makers in the same manner. This really is a 'gem' of a place to go!

1  Thank AnnPCornwall

Reviewed 17 September 2016

Some really good reviews on here for the ‘Gem fish bar’ and rightfully so!

So we ate their tonight (a party of five) I was not really sure what to expect as the last time I entered these premises (probably 15 years ago, or more) I was not very impressed. However, tonight’s meal I couldn’t not really fault it. So from the off the waitress was prompt and attentive she took our order and after confirming exactly what our order was, she was off and a few minutes later our drinks turned up. Great!

The food came out around 10-12 minutes later looking as per the photos posted on their website and was nice and hot and the portions were spot on!!. I had the poached cod (personally I’d have preferred it grilled but what I received was more than satisfactory). The other party members ordered traditional battered cod, chips peas etc.. with one having a pie and chips. All reported that they were more than happy with their meals.

A point of note, I’ve been a chef for more than a decade and as you can guess I am a bit of a food critic! Even if something comes out PERFECT I still look at ways that it could be improved, so read into that what you will. Some of you will just call me fussy!!

However I do have a couple points for Helen and her husband although far from major. I’m a huge sauce fan, so is my sister and we were slightly put off by the condiment sashet’s not being a well known brand. Also I felt that the plates could have been hotter?? As being in a party a lot more conversation ensues and eating times are of course extended and I found that when I was getting to the end of my meal It was beginning to become quite cool, (on my own I’m a fast eater). Lastly I feel as though the meal could do with an injection of greenery? Be it a sprig of parsley or something similar as I feel as though this would add that final touch to the well cooked meal that I have eaten this evening.

These few points suggested above are just me being ULTRA critical and does not take anything away from the 5 stars I have given The Gem Fish Bar. I would return there again, just please don’t shout at me if I turn up with my own sauce bottle!! :-)

To conclude food was great, service was what I hoped for. Helen was a very welcoming host and I can see that she cares about achieving a good level of customer satisfaction. Well done to the whole team!!

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

What a "must do" while in Falmouth". Not your normal fish and chips place. Choice of fish..yummy prawns....mushrooms....and the desserts....deep fried pineapple and scrumptious apple pie with ice cream or custard. The owners are just delightful.

1  Thank whitneyhutton
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

Visited here today with my parents who had the "oap special" of fish, chips, peas, bread/butter and tea....great value for them and my cod and chips was too. Lovely food and even better service, greeted in a friendly way from when we sat down to when we paid...even asked if parents wanted their tea pot topping up. The lady was friendly to all, appearing to recognise the regulars too. Thanks again, we will be back next year.

1  Thank Alison190776
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Amazing fish and chips, just visited tonight and will return before the end of our stay. Friendly staff too.

1  Thank Iwd77