“Staff make the difference”

The Greenbank Hotel
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Falmouth
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We found the Greenbank through booking.com but booked direct with the hotel to take advantage of a special offer and glad to say we made the right decision! Our room was great – maybe not the Ritz but all decorated in neutral colours that suited the hotel very well. All the staff were brilliant, very welcoming and professional but gave a relaxed atmosphere which was how we found the whole of our stay. Waking up and smelling the ocean and eating some truly excellent food in the restaurant this hotel was all we could have asked for – and the small touches like cafetieres in the room instead of instant coffee and the free WIFI in the room and bar were very welcome. We could have done with a map to find our way around the hotel – but I guess that’s what comes with a hotel that has been built in to a harbor wall with the sea right outside! I am glad to see that the hotel is currently investing in some improvements and one of the corridors was blocked off as there are a number of rooms being refurbished - I can’t wait to see those. Looking forward to coming back later in the year to be able to sit outside on the terrace!

Room Tip: Harbour View room is a must
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edmund S
Paul G, General Manager at The Greenbank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Your review has been gratefully received, thank you. I understand your comment regarding the layout of the hotel; the original building dates back to the mid 1600's and the various additions over the years can mean it's tricky to navigate. I hasten to add that many of our guests see this as real character!
I am glad that this did not detract from the comfort of your stay, and it was a pleasure to read that you had such an enjoyable time. You will be most welcome when you return.

There are newer reviews for The Greenbank Hotel

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Hi
We stayed at the Greenbank hotel on a weekend in febuary 2012, on arrival at our room we were very impressed with it, everything was very clean and great veiws of the river. There was some work underway but this was in another part of the hotel and did not affect us in anyway. The room we stayed in had a small balcony overlooking the river, just like the one in the hotel pictures. Everything was fine until later on that evening, unknown to us the fire doors at the end of our corridor (about 20 foot away) led into a function room with dance floor and dj station, worse still the main enterance to the function room was the corridor outside our room, there was no music that night but the room was used, and at approx 10 30 -11 pm when the people came out they were only talking and laughing in the corridor but stopped as you would saying what a nice time they had. This continued for some time until everyone had left. Not an ideal main enterance to a function room!!!!. We complained in the morning about the noise and were moved to their master suit, this was SUPERB (see pics on hotel web site) and very quiet. Overall a very good weekend breakfast was very nice, did have a problem with the hot water or should I say lack of hotwater but this was fixed. I would stay there again but get a refurbished room and if you want the river veiw then ask them for one in a different corridor to the function room enterance, there are about 3 or 4 on a different landing and you should be fine. Hope this was helpfull.

Room Tip: pick a room on a different corridor to the function room enterance the are avalible
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart H

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you brought your concern to our attention at the time as we will endeavour to solve any issues as soon as they arise. We have a policy to communicate to our guests on booking if there is likely to be any disturbance and to allocate bedrooms away from our function suite if our guests are in not attending the function. I am truly sorry that this was not the case when you visited.
It was a pleasure to read the positive comments about your stay and hope that your opinion of us has not been marred by the incident you mentioned. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

The hotel is old and tired looking on the outside and inside as well and could do with some updating in the public areas like the bar and communal areas. The decor definitely needs updating as does the carpets in some areas. The trip to my room was a hike through narrow corridors, The room I had was ok but unless you book early and pay more you do not get the harbour view even though I paid £95 for 1 night B&B so I don't believe it was good value. The room was clean and function able but that was all I could say as it was tiny with a little window overlooking the road and a large hill in front of you very uninspiring. The food was uninspiring also but filled a hole. I would not stay here again as I believe it is overpriced for what you get in return. The views from the bar patio were very pleasant overlooking the harbour probably the hotels best feature! The staff were polite and courteous and helpful and probably were the best thing about an older building that needs to be restored to bring it back to former glory.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff G
Reviewed 28 February 2012

In February 2012 my wife and I again took advantage of the hotel's two nights for one winter offer. We have been coming here in February, sometimes March, for a few years now as we enjoy the hotel, love the views from the harbourside rooms, feel the level of service from the staff is very good and believe the offer is very good value for money.

Yes, the hotel has long winding corridors, two old small lifts, various different levels but that's all part of the charm of it !

The rooms we have stayed in, including the latest (a deluxe with harbour view), have all been fine. I think the room we stayed in last weekend had been updated in recent years and was fine. It had a small balcony with sufficient room for the two chairs sited there. The room itself was very clean as was the bathroom which had both a reasonable sized shower and a jacuzzi bath. The king sized bed, as usual was a true kingsize and nicely firm allowing a good night's sleep. There was plenty of wardrobe hanging space and drawer space. The coffee and tea making facility was fine.

This year we didn't take advantage of eating in the hotel except for breakfast which kept up the good quality tradition with plenty of choice for cereal, yoghurt, fresh fruit, fresh figs, grapefruit, apricots etc. with a cooked full english breakfast, kippers or haddock and poached egg to follow (there may have been further choices but I am sorry I can't remember !). My wife loved the fresh figs. The breakfast was very good and the service excellent.

I can only speak of the hotel when we come in the winter months. All the staff are very pleasant and they all say hello which is very welcoming and adds to the friendly atmosphere. The staff are all very helpful and cheerful and display excellent customer service. I have read a few of the negative reviews about the hotel and a number are from customers who have stayed there during the busier summer months. The hotel is fairly busy when we stay, albeit I don't think it's actually full, and the staff do seem to cope easily with the demands of the customers.

My wife and I are reasonable travellers and have stayed in a number of hotels, B & B's etc both in this country and abroad. When I was working (I am now retired) I did stay in a lot of hotels as I had to be away from home regularly ! So I think we can provide a reasonable and objective review of hotels and restaurants etc.

We are normal, average people in our early 60's who seek comfortable accommodation, good service, quality food and good customer service. We believe we get this at the Greenbank Hotel and this is our first choice hotel in Falmouth. Obviously the 2 nights for 1 offer (or the 3 nights for 2 offer) is, in our opinion, excellent. Whether we would be prepared to pay full price in the height of summer when the hotel was full is another question.

If we wanted to stay at a hotel in Falmouth in the summer I would certainly give it a try and see how it worked out. I'm pretty sure the staff would endeavour to make our stay as comfortable as it regularly is when we come in the winter.

Room Tip: Harbourside rooms are best as the view is wonderful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulW063
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed here twice in the past 7 years to attend birthday parties at the hotel. The first time I had a room with a harbour view and an extra night free. Had to book for 3 nights to get the free extra night and this was in March. Nice sized room, but felt that it good do with updating. The second time and more recently, I had the room right above the reception area facing out to the road. Again this room needs updating. The price was expensive both times and the rooms are certainly not worth the price due to the shabby state of them. Both rooms were clean but not up to standard. Don't expect to sleep well as you can constantly hear people walking past your room and banging doors late at night and at the crack of dawn. I will not stay there again as it was overpriced and the attitude of the staff was that they couldn't care less. Had to wait ages to be served breakfast. There are better places to stay in Falmouth for half the price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan2210
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
1.7 km away
30.8 km away
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Greenbank Hotel? Share your experiences!