3 people are viewing this hotel
SAVE US$18
eDreamsUS$119
Trip.comUS$119
getaroom.comUS$135
All reviews secret garden afternoon tea car park lovely hotel no lift main building perfect location top floor bar area bars and restaurants staff were lovely full english my partner stayed for one night comfy bed would stay again scones
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 October 2020 via mobile

A lovely hotel, ran by a friendly team, our room was very clean and spacious.
The Secret garden was very comfortable and a delight.Staff very attentive, lighting the log burner to keep us cozy.
Breakfast was very tasty. Social distancing adhered to at all times.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Team Savvy, Owner at The Townhouse Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2020

Thanks for the review, come back soon ;-)

Reviewed 6 October 2020 via mobile

Fabulous relaxing weekend away for our wedding anniversary.
The hotel and staff couldn’t do enough for us with a special mention for Craig and Nuno.
We were spoiled all weekend as one of the photos shows
Will definitely return to both the Townhouse and Chester very soon

1  Thank andygazey
Steven Hesketh, Owner at The Townhouse Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2020

Thanks for your lovely comments, the boys will be made up with a special mention too!
Hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 3 October 2020

My friend treated me as she had got a Groupon coupon. Wanted to visit since it opened as had heard positive things about afternoon tea and I go to the 'top rated' competitors annually. The 'meet & greet' was superb and the male waiter was extremely lovely. The sandwiches; I suspect were 'made in advance' and not fresh for our order. The bread was 'stale' on the sides of the sandwich; possibly where it had been left uncovered on on the edge of a bulk tray (like when at a buffet and the exterior sandwiches go dry/stale etc). The scone texture made it difficult to spread the butter and fell apart. We did not complain as was being polite so maybe they would have helped but now I have lost confident, I am sure it was not because we were 'coupon' guests and have pondered writing the review but on reflection the 'freshness' and lack of quality (sparkling drink/ingredients) mean I won't risk being a paying customer. The toilets were also a surprise as they appear to be from the legacy hotel and a distinct difference to the restaurant/bad quality surroundings. Overall - great staff effort though, Chefs let you down.

2  Thank MichelleEllams

Sorry to hear this, and we take on board your comments. In the current climate, the chef hasn't been in the kitchen all day, so it is disappointing this has been reflected in our quality and we will address this - we are due to implement a full all day menu and open for dinner - but are just sadly waiting for some government clarity on what is happening - sadly a tough balancing act - please give us a try again, the chef's will be disappointed but I know do a great job.
Thanks for reviewing

Reviewed 1 October 2020

My husband and I booked afternoon tea. Although the restaurant was empty, a table was set up next to the open door to the courtyard garden. It was late afternoon and chilly, with countless people walking past, which didn't feel safe, so we asked to sit elsewhere. This was done graciously and without fuss. The afternoon tea was, at best, average. Only one plate given for savoury and sweets, no cake fork, I ate mine with a tea spoon. We decided to stay on for another drink. I asked for an elderflower presse, this came with tonic, which I do not drink. The barman came and I felt as if I was being interrogated, not a pleasant experience. From that point on, we were completely ignored. We sat with dirty cups, plates and tea pots on our table, despite several members of staff walking past us constantly, no one cleared our plates. We asked the manager to clear our table, he took the cake stand and nothing else. He didn't come back to clear the rest, or ask another member of staff to clear. In the end we cleared our table ourselves, not what you expect from a 4* hotel. So disappointed. This venue came highly recommended. They need to work on their customer service skills.

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank lazy_days_jane

Sorry to hear this about your experience and in line with our other reviews it is far from the norm.
It is far from our standard and extremely hard to believe that several staff went by and not checked or assisted, it really does surprise me - never the less - we will take on board and readdress with the team

Reviewed 1 October 2020

We had a lovely afternoon tea here today. We were served by Anisha and she was so friendly and helpful. She checked in with us and ensured we had everything we needed. We had the loveliest time. Thankyou :)

1  Thank Drewfree96

Thanks for your lovely review - hope to welcome you back again soon