2,066 results
All reviews car park central location lovely hotel excellent location one way system cooked breakfast black pudding early hours reception staff city break evening meal breakfast was excellent hotel restaurant afternoon tea my birthday short break full english
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel was booked by me for my wife and I plus four friends as we had tickets for the Autumn race day event at the racecourse.

Admittedly we did leave it rather late to book for a race weekend and there was very little other hotel availability close to the racecourse but in the end we decided to go for the New Blossoms even though it was very expensive as it's right in the centre of town.

Had the hotel been up to scratch I wouldn't have been surprised by the price, after all it's all about location and this can't be beaten, but this does not represent good value for money.

The check in was painfully slow, in fact we waited at an empty reception desk for five minutes before anybody noticed there were guests waiting.

The room was nice enough even if it was a little too hot, and the bathroom was adequate. The modest tea making facilities were in the wardrobe for some reason and nowhere near an outlet !

Again because Chester was rammed that night after the races we took the decision to book the hotel Steakhouse for dinner. All seemed very nice, well appointed and not too hot but the service did leave a lot to be desired even though there were no more than ten diners in all.

Most of us ordered steaks with sauces of one type of another but these failed to materialise until the meal was well underway and so they were sent away.

The breakfast in the same restaurant was a joke, slow service, poor food, queuing guest to get in and waiters that obviously do not take a pride in their work. All for the princely sum of £12 each - ridiculous !

I love Chester and the race day was a great event but the whole trip was let down by this hotel I'm afraid.

Room Tip: This is like an old style English B & B but with high end prices !
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter J
GM_Blossoms, General Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Macdonald New Blossoms.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, and apologise for the slow check in process. If the receptionist had been called away from the desk this would be only down to her having to deal with another guest, as the desk is manned 24 hours a day.

Throughout Macdonald Hotels, you will find our coffee making facilities on a shelf in the wardrobe, this is to allow you more space throughout the room to ensure you are comfortable. I have however taken on board your comments and review this in our next board meeting.

The poor breakfast experience really is not justifiable and it would be wrong of me to try and justify what went wrong, this simply shouldn’t have happened. I will investigate this fully and will provide the relevant training to the team.

I can assure you all the Management and staff of the New Blossoms Hotel want nothing more than for all our guests to have a fantastic stay with us and on this occasion I am disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations.

Once again thank you for your feedback, I can assure you it will be used and the correct action taken.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

From check in to leaving was a farce. We paid £181 for the privelage of staying in this dated run down place. How on earth this was graded 4 star us beyond me.
The breakfast time was a shambles it took us an hour between entering the room to leaving and the service was appalling... well what service? Most of the time you had to ask for everything 2/3 times. No coffee wrong tables, no glasses for juice, no butter need i go on. When the breakfast arrived without hash browns or black pudding we had had enough and walked out. Avoid this place it was like faulty towers.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank juliehirst70
GM_Blossoms, General Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Delivering the highest standards of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values. As a Company, we always welcome feedback both positive and negative as this allows us to assess whether our guest’s expectations have been met, and would like to thank you for assisting.

I am extremely disappointed to read about the poor breakfast experience and sincerely apologise for this I will be investigated this personally as this is not our normal standard.

Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I'm unsure who has rated this a 4 star- I think they had rose tinted glasses when scoring. The "luxury" room was very dated and certainly not on par with other hotels rated also as 4 star. Rooms weren't particularly clean and upon check out when I informed the male manager about this he simply stated "Thanks for letting us know", so being honest if your looking for a nice hotel to treat your partner this isn't the place- with staff who are not interested and the decor that has barely evolved from the 50's.
Finally this advertised a guest bar- and when attempting to access this was told by the night porter that they were shirt staffed, yet the general manager had gone home. Total let down and wouldn't return

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kcringle
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at this hotel and safe to say we won't be returning. Staff when disinterested in us on arrival we had paid for a luxury room, when entering our room the phone was ringing it was the 1980's ringing asking for their decor back. After leaving and having meal we came back to the hotel to access the supposed 24 hour bar to be told by the night ported it was closed and that they where short staffed another selling point of the hotel proven wrong ... how this is rated a 4* is beyond me safe to say it was Mcawful Mcminty but most of all a Mcwaste of good money....

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nfergi

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and that we failed to meet your expectations. If we had been informed of your issues during your stay we may have been able to resolve them for you.

I can assure you we have an ongoing refurbishment plan in place at the hotel and have spent almost £400,000 over the last 18 months. We will continue to invest to ensure our guests expectations are not just met but exceeded. As you can imagine this is rather costly and timely and all works carried out must be prioritised.

I will be investigated as to why our late bar was closed early as this shouldn't be the case. If passed 1 am the lounge remains open for guests to purchase drinks until late. I am sorry if this was not communicated.

I really do hope you choose to stay with us again as I would love for you to see the improvements made.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I recently stayed at the McDonalda Blossom Hotel and experienced what was probably the worst breakfast in staying at hotels around the country. The fruit offer was largely juice of empty dishes, the orange juice container had to be tipped up to get dregs of juice, tables were not cleared and the two staff were simply overwhelmed. I complained but still had to pay. There was no response to my complaint so I wrote expressing concern at the lack of response but have received nothing back. This is very disappointing from a supposedly quality hotel.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Graham W

Dear Guest,

We are in the process of reviewing our breakfast operation and have made a number of improvements since your visit and also currently recruiting a new Breakfast Manager to ensure our guest experience is a good one.

I am sorry you have not received my initial email following your departure however can confirm that as soon as I received your feedback, communication was sent.

I really do hope this hasn't deterred you from returning in the future.