“Tasting Menu”

Ranked #13 of 592 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Had a fantastic evening from the attentive staff and superb attention to even the smallest of details make this a pleasurable way to spend an evening the food is superb even to the point of eating something you never thought you would but realise how fantastic it tastes

Would love to return soon

Had the eight course taster menu with the wine flight

2  Thank Susan M

Reviewed 1 June 2018

Visited with my wife for dinner, had the full tasting menu plus wine flight, food was of a good standard (as expected) with a couple of top class dishes in there. Service was very accomplished throughout also.

One niggle for me, I really feel like a restaurant of this standard and with this emphasis on service should be pouring the wine flight at the table (from the bottle), just adds so much more to the experience. I appreciate that makes it a lot harder to give every customer exactly the same amount of wine, but does that really matter? Just found it a bit jarring to have the wine pre-measured and brought over in a carafe before being poured rather than being poured directly from the bottle at the table (plus I'm pretty sure everyone who takes a wine flight likes to see the label which I didn't get to see for any of the wines).

Overall though, we enjoyed our evening, would have no problem going back.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

The experience both service and food was superb from beginning to end. Although we went to the a la carte rather than the tasting with all the extras it was more like a 7 course meal. I thought it was excellent value. The staff were the best, their love of food came across, the description of the bread table and the cheese table. They have the balance right of ensuring everyone feels special without being pretentious. The food was also excellent, a taste sensation. I will definitely be visiting again.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is slightly tucked away in the Grosvenor hotel, but it is worth the effort to find. The Michelin star is well deserved, with three or perhaps four entremets. More importantly my duck ragout with Pedro Jimenez brioche was outstanding, my turbot good and the strawberry and sweet pea pudding inspired. Add to this unstuffy but fulsome service (they let me watch champions league final on my phone) and you have a winning combination. I think the restaurant works very well for its main local constituency, but it also fits the Michelin definition - worthy of a detour. Enjoy.

1  Thank trufflehound81
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Having taken my partner out for a meal as a birthday treat, resulting in a bill amounting to over £300 I was extremely disappointed to be treated in such a discriminatory way. The waiter preferentially offered the wine tasting to my partner without even acknowledging my presence. To me, this was extremely presumptuous and indicated that he assumed that my partner was more knowledgeable about the wine and was probably footing the bill, which was not the case. This set a bad tone for our experience over all. By offering the wine tasting explicitly to the male at the table and not ackownledging me nor offering it to me to taste, and then following up with serving him before me was sexist, to be direct.
Old fashioned customs such as these have no place in a restraurant today and does not demonstrate equality. Based on this I would not unfortunately visit again - despite the wonderful food - nor recommend a visit to a female friend.

8  Thank Leila A