“Great Food-Great Hostess”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2018

We were a group of about 30 visiting Ely for the week (visiting/week replacement choir at Ely Cathedral) who always enjoy eating out together 1 night. One of our group was able to arrange with this restaurant to accommodate our large group. What a quaint restaurant, gallery, garden and display of flowers - all on top of the excellent meal that we were served. The owner and her helpers served us in a very short order of time (we pre-arranged what we were going to eat) and all with smiles. I had the lemon dessert which was very yummy. This place is very easy to find - basically one block over from the Cathedral, so great for all our group who were all walking. Everyone had a great time - and dinner!

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Visited Saturday evening with friends 2 of whom had never been to Ely before let alone the Old Fire Engine.
They loved the place food was as brilliant as ever, great to be offered a 2nd helping of the main course ( I had to say yes please )
If you visit Ely you really should try to visit the Old Fire Engine you will not regret it

Reviewed 9 August 2018

I hadn't been here for years, since I used to come for afternoon tea after visiting the cathedral, but I had fond memories of the place and was keen to see if my good memories were still justified. I think they were. The atmosphere of the place is rather like visiting a private home and there was a small team in the kitchen and, I think, two waitresses, and we found service to be charming, friendly and attentive. There is a small bar area at the front where we were greeted and where we gave our orders and when they were ready for us, we were taken through the kitchen to a dining room at the back to eat. The house is also an art gallery so there are interesting things to look at in all the rooms, and there is another display space at the front. The food is what I would describe as traditional British, straightforward but delicious; my husband enjoyed his pigeon casserole from the a la carte menu and I chose 2 courses from the set menu, hake in a cream and dill sauce and then an apricot and almond crumble. I think the place is distinctive and delightful - I find an earlier reviewer's comment of 'like we were in a canteen' hard to understand.The Fire Engine House is open for morning coffees and teas as well as lunch and dinner and is located very close to the cathedral. I will certainly come again if in Ely.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

We were fortunate enough to be taken for Sunday Lunch at this delightful restaurant recently.
The menu has some interesting items, I have pigeon and bacon casserole along with some more traditional options. The service given by the small team of waitresses was exceptional and the whole experience memorable. I would highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

Very friendly service. Good choice of food, i choose the Locally Smoked Eel followed by the Sea Bass in a prawn and dill sauce.
Was pleasantly surprised to be asked if i would like a second helping.

I lovely location next to the Cathedral