“Lovely meal”

The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 114 Restaurants in Ely
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Hotel restaurants are not always that good, Poets House is an exception. Good menu and wine list, attentive staff and fabulous food.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

The place itself is lovely, with a nice courtyard for summer evening pre dinner drinks and the dining room is very pleasant, as are the staff. The food is also of a decent standard, but my concern is portion size, with very little of substance. As anyone who reads my reviews will now I eat out a lot and have no issue with "cheffy" food, but I actually came away feeling hungry after a three course meal.
Of course, its not all about having a big plateful to be satisfied, but there is a need for richness to substitute for bulk that I didn't find here. For instance the roast cod was described as coming with garlic mash, which sounds great, but was, in fact, a thin smear of fairly tasteless goo. More spice or body is needed if the "less is more" principle is to work. Its a shame because this could be a very good restaurant in a relative foody oasis.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Both the previous times I’ve been here, I’ve been really impressed, the food quality has been 5*, the service even better and I’ve rated this place to friends and family.

This evening, I’ve taken clients here, expecting the usual high level of service and quality, however what we got was woefully short of expectation and left me embarrassed too have talked up the experience to my clients.

I’m not complaining about being moved into the back room due to the main room being redecorated, however I did have a peak in on the way out and I must say that the ‘fine dining’ experience is not being taken forward with bare faced, pub style tables being offered.

Previously I’ve felt like we’ve been looked after by our waiter at a personal level, the attention to detail has been impressive and the service of a very high quality but this evening the waiter service was nothing short of woeful.

What’s going on???
Don’t lose the uniqueness of high quality service and food, I’m sure you pride yourself on not being just like everyone else...

PoetsHouse, Front Office Manager at The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience at Poets House Hotel. We are sorry to hear that you felt your evening with your clients was not to our normal standards, we have taken on board your comments and reviewed the evening’s service with our team.

Currently we are working through the hotel to keep the décor fresh and glad you had a peek into the restaurant, although not the finished product at that time I’m sure if you were to pop back you would see there are a few subtle changes.

We do hope you will return on another occasion and experience the level of customer service we would expect ourselves to provide and you would enjoy

With warm regards
The Poets House Team

Reviewed 10 April 2018

We visited in August last year and were disappointed with the service and were late being seated.
What a difference this time. Speedy, polite service in the bar. Excellent service in the restaurant, attentive but not too much.
The food was excellent, well presented and reasonable portions. There was lots of menu choices for veggie and fish eaters like me. I didn't notice the meat dishes. The food was really tasty.
It was quite quiet and not many people eating

PoetsHouse, Front Office Manager at The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear Ann

Thank you for your 5 star review of your dining experience at Poets House Hotel. We very much appreciate your comments and they will be communicated back to the team who enjoy reading such feedback.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.

With warm regards
The Poets House Team

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Nice welcoming environment drink in bar followed by good meal everyone enjoyed the food although on of the lemon sole was a “a bit fishy” compared with the other one but both were eaten

Poets H, Front Office Manager at The Dining Room at Poets House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Simon

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit to the Poets House, Ely. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed pre- dinner drinks in our lovely relaxing Study Lounge and also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal too.

We very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Poets House in the not too distant future.

Kind regards