See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2017

a minor placing on the bucket list brought us to Cambridge so found Fenners as a good base. sadly it failed to live up to expectations. The Car park seems unofficial, find a space around the back, the service was welcoming, my wife and I were travelling from different ends of the country so arrived 30mins apart, I sat in reception, asked and got a cup of tea, this was not not normal practice, and as we were still ahead of room availability time had time to kill when my wife arrived.
The decor is interesting., ours was alarge room, and mock gothic, or black and black and white and black, and sadly straight out of a home furnishing catalogue. A Job lot, but it was new and clean. The en-suite appeared to have started life as a wardrobe, it was that small.
We had a front room, wow, how can a back street be so busy, taxis running up and down all night but more infruriating was the number of individuals pulling wheeled suit cases, an instantly recognisable sound, at 1:00am, 2:00am and every other am until time to get up.
Breakfast was interesting, guests book a time for breakfast, staggered as the the restaurant and staff struggle to accommodate a rush, or multiple parties of 2, but hrn served the order came quickly, unremarkable but edible, so served a purpose.
All in all a massive disappointment, I expected better quality for the price and better quality for the location. Shame

Date of stay: March 2017
1  Thank AndyJBall
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with some friends when visiting Cambridge. 20 minute walk to centre of town. Parking on site is a bonus. Comfortable beds, All in all good value for money. Public areas could do with a bit of an upgrade.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I booked here last minute on a work trip because my usual hotel was full and I was pleasantly surprised.
The rooms are a lovely size, very well decorated in a boutique, feminine style so perfect for female or couples stays. The bathroom was clean and well set up if a little small.
There was WiFi For work and a nice desk dressing table area so it was ideal for my needs.
I was able to leave my car at a reduced parking rate in their parking area on the day I was due to leave while I was still working which was helpful.
The continental breakfast was set out in a cupboards area and had the usual fayre with yoghurt, toast ,fresh fruit and but the pastries available were limited and a cooked option was extra, which I chose on the second day was o.k but the was not really worth the extra cost.
The general and communal areas of this b and b style hotel have not yet been updated to the high standards in their bedrooms but I am sure when this is done they will be impressive but at the time of my visit they were tired and one of the Bannister's on the stairs was broken and not addressed during my stay.
The hotel is set between two houses and there is some meandering on various staircases to get to certain rooms from reception so this should be considered before a booking a stay if you have mobility issues or a disability.
Fenners was good value for money and scores high for me on budget accommodation and I may choose it again instead of my usual hotel in future.

Room tip: Chose lower floors or proximity to reception if you have mobility issues
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel is very clean and well decorated. The continental breakfast is great: cereal, toast, fresh fruit salad (and I mean fresh), yoghurt and a choice of tea or coffee.

However breakfast serving stops on the dot of 9am Monday to Friday, with absolutely no exceptions made.

The hotel car park is expensive. I didn't realise that it wasn't complimentary and paid £15 for one day. Street parking would have cost me £8.00 for the day. Had I known that I would end up paying so much extra then I may not have stayed at Fenners I was visiting Cambridge on a budget and this was an unexpected extra expense.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank AnneFrannie
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Myself and my sister in law came to Cambridge for a girly weekend away. Hotel is not as appears on website stuck in the attic which was boiling and the size of a postage stamp. Bathroom not clean ... loo brush completely dirty and sink had stains on. Can't fill kettle in sink so had to use shower, and can barely swing a cat in the bathroom. Not a tranquil sanctuary as it says on website. No batteries in remote for tv and wardrobe is so dangerous as floor is uneven so pull door and is falls towards you. Communal stair the step was held together but duck tape. 15 quid for parking each car and no space absolute rip off and paid 100 quid without breakfast which was way overpriced. Pictures on website do not reflect the actual rooms ... but location is good and beds were comfy. Generally a rip off!

Trip type: Travelled with friends