2,315 results
All reviews free parking parker's piece wet room city centre lovely hotel car park excellent location walk in shower on site parking superior room within easy walking distance visit cambridge room was large enjoyable stay one night stay breakfast was excellent cooked breakfast
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Cambridge is a popular destination so the city's hotels don't find it hard to fill their rooms. The Gonville does not suffer from complacency, however (as some of the city's hotels do) and staff find ways to make their guests feel comfortable and welcome. I have been staying in Cambridge annually for more than 20 years and have stayed in many of the city's hotels, along with a group of colleagues. We have settled on the Gonville for the past few years and will continue to stay there whilst their standards remain as high as they currently are. The hotel is well positioned and nicely kept. Its facilities are clean and stylish and its staff are quietly helpful. We have found that anything wrong has been quickly fixed. Although my purpose of stay is for business, I would certainly choose this hotel for a personal stay also.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2016

This is a real gem of a hotel. Very centrally located. The service from start to finish was impeccable. The food and drinks were excellent and the well presented. The rooms were modern, clean and spacious. All the amenities were provided. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a fantastic stay in Cambridge.

Room Tip: rooms at the rear of the hotel are great.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2016

We have stayed before to visit family in Cambridge and will quite happily stay again.. The hotel is very well placed, suitable for short stays etc and popular with tourists. The staff were exceptionally helpful and welcoming. We turned up early in the morning, well before check in was feasible, to see if we could park the car there to go to a graduation and were very generously and pleasantly received.
Breakfast was good and provided for gluten free requests. The room was well equipped with kettle, iPad, TV etc but was not particularly large. I suspect the cost is what you would expect to pay in Cambridge, I.e. not particularly cheap but within the appropriate range.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Dear IKJ

Thank you so much for your lovely review, its always a pleasure to welcome back regular guests and do what we can to make your stay that bit extra special.

We are glad that you got on well at the graduation, please know that I will be passing on your comments to the rest of the team who will be delighted.

We hope that it’s not long before we welcome you back again.

Thank you for taking the time.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

There is nothing special about this hotel and being in Cambridge it is expensive for what you get.

There is no residents' lounge so you either sit in small area by the check in desk or the bar. The bedroom was comfortable albeit a bit dark, did not have a fridge, and overlooked an unattractive flat roof.

The evening meal had several choices but the food we had was nothing special. Breakfast was good but the cooked meals had to be ordered and took a while to arrive. Breakfast and bar staff very friendly.

After checking out I realised I left an expensive shirt and Tiffany cufflinks in the room. Despite three phone calls and an email to the hotel nobody bothered to contact me. I reported the loss to the local police and mentioned the lack of interest showed by the hotel.

I would not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James3Teddington
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2016

Dear James3Teddington,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent visit.

I have spoken to Housekeeping and they have no knowledge of your request to search for your shirt or cuff links.

Perhaps you could email me at Christopher@gonvillehotel.co.uk with who you called and when and I will investigate.

As you can see from our other feedback we do care so I do find your comments surprising.

I have also searched for “James Teddington” in case that is your name but have no record of you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 July 2016

Three of us on business/teaching project. All booked in separately and we all had good, large, quiet and comfortable rooms. Excellent large buffet breakfast. Good variety on evening menu but being a Sunday probably not the best. For the same meeting I will intend to stay there for the next few years.

Room Tip: Had front room which was very comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Dear asquill

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us, we were pleased to see that you and your business colleagues had a great stay and found the breakfast buffet to be excellent.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Gonville again soon and very pleased that we will be your choice for the next few years.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Kind regards,