“Friendly Pub”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2018

A warm welcome upon arrival. Amazing history attached to this pub. A great choice of beers and the food was very good too. A must visit on any trip to Cambridge. Will certainly return, recommended.

Molly B, Manager at The Eagle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Thanks for the review. We are glad you had a great experience here

Write a ReviewReviews (2,184)

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Typical English pub with crowded tables. Nothing special but no reason not to visit. Service fast and efficient.

Molly B, Manager at The Eagle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Reviewed 10 May 2018

I've been coming to The Eagle for many years, as it's one of the few pubs in Cambridge to serve food on certain bank holidays.
This weekend though (A hot May Bank Holiday) was sadly a low point for food. The Chicken Caesar salad consisted of a small piece of lettuce, maybe two tablespoons of chicken and half a slice of toast neatly and artistically arranged cut into two strips. Served on a plate hot from the dishwasher too, for added limpness of lettuce. All for the bargain price of just shy of £12 a head.
My guest looked a little perturbed, and I was quite frankly embarrassed, having recommended the place from long experience of the excellent fish and chips etc.
We ate our "meals" and then headed off to Subway in the market square for some sustenance.
I'll still be popping in for the usually excellent beers and the ambience, but I won't be ordering food from here any more, as the quality is far too variable depending on how busy the pub is.
My advice to The Eagle is not to ration and eke out the stock of food just to be able to serve everyone who comes in, but to serve the same standard of food until the stock runs out. I would much rather be told that food had sold out then be served something like I received last weekend. It's counter productive too, as people won't come back again. If it had been my first visit I would have bleft very disappointed and vowed never to set foot in the place again. As it is though, I know The Eagle well, and usually enjoy the fare on offer, but from now on I won't be eating there.
I would recommend it for a visit on a quiet day, but avoid if busy.

Molly B, Manager at The Eagle, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

Thank you for the review, I am sorry to hear about your experience with the meals that you received on the bank holiday weekend. I will talk to my kitchen and FOH team to ensure that this does not happen again to any of our guests.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We found the Eagle to be a lovely old pub with lots of memorabilia on the walls. The service was good only 4 stars as the tables were dirty.

Molly B, Manager at The Eagle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Thanks for the review, I will try my best with the team to make sure all tables are cleaned more regularly after usage

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

After a tour of Cambridge this place was pointed out and mentioned went in for a late lunch didn't realise how big the place actually has with loads of nooks and crannies plus a lot of outdoor seating, unfortunately we never got to see the mentioned RAF room ?

Molly B, Manager at The Eagle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Thank you for the review, if you are in Cambridge again please come visit our RAF bar where can see the signatures of the WWII airmen burnt into the ceiling and loads of RAF memorabilia, it’s certainly worth a look