“Great food, relaxed atmosphere”

The Ivy Cambridge Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy Cambridge Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 730 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$36 - US$215
Description: The Ivy Cambridge Brasserie is an ideal spot to enjoy an accessible all-encompassing menu, serving British classics from dawn until dusk, including breakfast, elevenses, weekend brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, light snacks, dinner and cocktails
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Thought we should give The Ivy a go as it's brand new in town, although cunningly designed to look like it's been there for a century or so already. As we stood outside contemplating the menu, a couple passing by recommended it. Seemed like a good omen.

At the reception desk, our coats were taken and hung up. Here we experienced the first of what I can only describe as "slightly uncoordinated staff" teething issues. As I was still holding my cloakroom ticket, another member of staff took it from me and tried to give me my coat back! I mean, 10/10 for keenness, but I'd like my dinner first, please...

The first thing I noticed in the restaurant itself is that the tables are set really close together. Squeezing my ample self between them to sit down was a bit hazardous and even the slenderest of guests risked knocking things off nearby tables in passing. No-one wants a strange bum brushing by their dinner. Also, do be prepared to get cosy with your neighbours as you won't be able to help overhearing their conversations.

It's a pretty big restaurant, too, as I only fully realised when taking the long walk to the toilets. Larger tables are towards the back and smaller parties at the front, by the windows. Careful thought has evidently been given to noise management, whilst also keeping the place looking full.

Generally, staff do still seem to be settling in (there was some rather tentative handing over of dishes to different tables as if the staff weren't entirely convinced they'd got the right one - and obviously better that they checked, if unsure) and a slight air of organised chaos, but everyone was absolutely lovely. I'm sure it's just a matter of time to let them get fully confident & relax into their roles.

Our waiter was charming, friendly and helpful.The lady at the next table wanted advice on gluten-free dishes (I did say you couldn't avoid other people's conversations!), so he brought a hand-written list of suitable dishes back from the kitchen for her.

And the food? Yes, it's really very good. Starters were generous - a deliciously creamy buffalo mozzarella, and asparagus with truffle hollandaise. Mains were venison stew (a special of the day) and chargrilled halloumi with padron peppers - both excellent. With a couple of vegetable sides, a bottle of mid-priced wine, one dessert and a fine cognac, the bill for two of us was about £130 (service is included). Not budget dining perhaps, but you can certainly eat very well here for quite a bit less than that. Light meal or blow-out treat, there's something for every occasion on the menu. Oh, and the breakfast menu looks fantastic, so I'm definitely coming back to try that soon!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have now been to the Ivy Twice, Once for dinner and again for afternoon tea.

Both were perfect, dinner was delicious and every single thing on the afternoon tea menu was superb and prices are great for the quality of the food. You are greeted kindly upon arrival and are well looked after. It's an experience not just dinner.

They do add the service charge on the end of the bill which makes you feel like you don't 'need' to tip, it would be nice to leave this up to the customer.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Ivy which is based on Trinity Street is simply beautiful inside. It has a colonial glory feel to it. The bar is stunning with its overhead glass holder and seating. We were quickly shown to our seats by the greeting staff who are all smartly dressed. For too long Cambridge has had a great level of middle restaurants like Chop House, Smokeworks and De Luca's but the top end has been sadly lacking. The Ivy finally does this with top level food and service but at a decent price, not the eye watering ones Cambridge seemed doomed to endure.
The signature Shepherd pie was everything we hoped, the steak was beautifully cooked and such good quality.
The desserts were on another level.
Cannot recommend highly enough - go for yourself and just see.

2  Thank Toby W
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Last minute drinks and desert. These guys are amazing fantastic,cocktails. Definitely would recommend.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Gorgeous stylish surroundings, nice music, comfortable seating and very good service. I’d recommend a visit. The only reason I’ve dropped a star is that, although the food was good, it’s difficult not to compare it unfavourably with the excellence of Trinity’s fabulous cuisine, as the restaurants are next-door neighbours on Trinity Street.

2  Thank Weeley1