All reviews afternoon tea scones garden room station car park cream tea through secret escapes smashed avocado construction site beautiful hotel soap dish building work comfortable bed shower cap breakfast service white company cooked options front of house
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here with my wife for one night in November. The hotel is very modern and smart and located right next to the station. There is no on-site parking (which for such an expensive, modern hotel is odd) so you will need to either pre book with JustPark (there is place fairly local for about £16 for two days) or risk that you can find a space in the station car park (we didnt try) or park on the road in one of the few spaces there are (chargeable, max 8 hour stay except Sundays when it is free and no maximum stay). We were lucky in finding a spot on the street when we arrived at about 16:30 on a Saturday afternoon. The interior of the hotel is very nice and room is spacious, well equipped and has a huge and incredibly comfortable bed. We didnt eat at the hotel but we did have a few drinks in the bar. The drinks are pretty expensive but thats par for the course for up market hotels wherever you are. The service, also critised by others was actually perfectly acceptable for us. The only let down was that the site showed the 'garden room' which looks lovely and was frankly the reason I booked this hotel rather than one right in the city. However when we got there it was empty. I mean - completely empty of people and furniture so we couldnt use it. This room seems to be promoted as a feature room on their website so I felt a bit cheated by this. This alone has resulted in my average rating, otherwise it would have had a good.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Matthew B

Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay with us and I am delighted that overall everything was to your satisfaction.

The garden room has had a change of use over the past few months, and all references to the room have been removed as we now use the space as a meeting room.

We do hope that with the above in mind you will return to see us again the next time you are in Cambridge.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have been going here on and off since it
Opened. We were glad -at first - to have what we hoped was London style hotel bar near to home. Good cocktails and stylish bar - if a bit pricey and too bright lighting wise. Is rarely v busy, but staff seem to change quite regularly- and this has caused problems of v slow, if always v polite -service. The food on Friday night was good - but drinks forgotten, never in synch with food. When paying a lot you want them to get It right. It’s such a shame. It wouldn’t take much to get this place right, and staff are v sweet, but efficiency and general know how in service area is off. Ambience needs work too. Better lighting, music. ?

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Alex R

Thank you for taking the time to review our food and beverage offering and we are delighted that you have chosen to visit us many times since we opened last year.
We are trying to address the lighting issues within the bar and restaurant to make the ambiance a little better during the evening.
Our new Food and Beverage manger is working on a training plan to ensure the quality of our product and speed of service is improved and we do hope you will see the difference the next time you visit.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I've stayed at the Tamburlaine twice for business trips recently. It's very convenient for my office (less than a minute walk) but also two minutes from the train station. I've been impressed each time with the comfort of the room, but also the cosy and relaxing atmosphere.

There is a restaurant, and if you don't fancy anything on the menu, the centre of Cambridge is only a short walk away with plenty of eating options

The open areas are very clean and tidy, along with the bar and dining room. There is ample space to get together with colleagues, and the first floor mezzanine area has great working spaces in a library like setting.

I thought the bed was very comfortable.

Overall a good, comfortable hotel for business trips.

Dear HighExpectations

We were delighted to read your review following your recent stay with us, thank you so much for oyur feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Cambridge.

kind regards

Reviewed 6 November 2018

New, smart, modern, comfortable hotel.
Fab room - super comfortable beds and pillows, fab walk in shower, even had a socket next to the large mirror so I could dry my hair easily. Smart public areas, lots of comfortable nooks for conversations. Best breakfast scrambled egg I’ve had in a long time.
Great location, less than 2minutes walk from the station.

Room tip: All the rooms are good rooms

Dear Safari30835056069

Thank you so much for your excellent review of the hotel following your recent stay with us, we hope to see oyu again soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 31 October 2018

I've stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world and throughout the UK. I'm not a fussy individual who cares too much about service for its own sake, so please pay attention when I tell you that I only continue staying at this hotel for the rooms and the quality of the beds and the service standards are frankly appalling.

The management of owners of the hotel clearly have no idea how to run an establishment well. The reception, lobby and bar/restaurant all feel like a ghost town with minimal staff and no customers either. The website states that "Tamburlaine’s bustling Bar and Restaurant draws a crowd right through the day and evening until the early hours." This is absolute NONSENSE - it is flat out lying. Inexcusable. I have been in the hotel on many occasions over several different trips on Friday nights and on week days and it is never "bustling" and the "crowd" is usually 5-8 people looking around rather dismally at the empty restaurant.

When the website and the hotel was envisaged, they clearly thought that Cambridge customers would fall for the style points and ignore the appalling execution. It seems, thankfully, that isn't the case. Among the various flaws are:

1. Food takes ages to arrive even in a empty, dead feeling restaurant
2. The restaurant and bar is haphazardly laid out, with the bar floating in the center of the room, too bright lighting, and cold marble decor which adds to the feeling of completely soul-destroying emptiness.
3. Drinks are ludicrously expensive - London 5 star hotel prices (and I would know) and poorly served. The drinks menu tries to get away with quoting 25ml prices for spirits to make them seem cheaper - double that price and add tonic and you're talking nearly £20 for a simple double G&T. This is unacceptable. For reference, the 5 star £600/night Corinthia hotel in London charges £15 for the same drink, expertly served in a dark, wood pannelled bar with cosy seating.
4. I was over-charged by nearly double on the bar bill. Having suffered the fact the drinks were listed as 25ml, I duly ordered two gin and tonics, which arrived, as singles. Yet at the end, I was charged for doubles. When I protested, the barman quite rudely insisted that the standard measures were 50ml. I had to show him the menu to demonstrate they were quoted as 25ml, had only been served as 25ml and demand the bill be adjusted. To be fair to him, he agreed and apologised but at these prices and with so much false advertising on the website about how wonderful the bar is, it is completely unacceptable.
5. Despite the bar being empty, barmen seem more interested in polishing glasses than serving customers. I had to ask for drinks twice by standing up and walking to the bar in a fairly short evening - table service was incredibly slow.
6. Asked for slimline tonic. Got told "we don't stock slimline tonic". Express surprise. Barman has a rummage. Slimline tonic appears.
7. Check in and dealing with reception is just not welcoming. The check in area is small, poorly designed and staff are far too frequently to be found skulking in the rear offices. It is quite simply not a welcome which befits the grandiose aims of the establishment.
8. There is no parking provision. I don't personally mind this, as there are nearby options, but a hotel claiming to reach into the stratosphere and be the best hotel in Cambridge needs, in that case, to provide valet parking. It suits the stand-offish, low quality, minimal employee service offering that they do not do so. Incidentally, the Varsity - a hotel on the other side of town with no parking on site - does offer valet parking.

Despite all of this, I will occasionally use the hotel. The absolute saving grace is the rooms, which are spacious and comfortable and QUIET. But the overwhelming feeling is basically that you are renting a one-bedroom apartment. That suits me, often, as I just want to arrive and relax in the room and enjoy what Cambridge has to offer. I suspect others are the same. But this hotel appears to be making all the classic mistakes poorly run businesses make in the hospitality industry. It is trading on style, not substance. It has experienced some issues and is doing poorly compared to the business plan so appears to have cut back staff to a skeleton level. It hasn't invested in food and beverages to the degree remotely required - food was acceptable but the drinks mixing and general ambiance of the "bar" is appalling. The website is a complete misdescription of the hotel to the point of being worth a complaint in itself - whoever wrote it was aiming for a ludicrously trendy pitch that falls so flat when you face the reality.

The other problem the hotel has is that the fresher (basic) rooms are so comfortable and good that no one with any sense would want to pay for an upgrade. And I say that having stayed in some amazing places around the world.

If all you care about is comfortable rooms and you will eat and drink out in Cambridge and see friends, this is an acceptable pad close to the station. But if you want ANY hotel services or a feeling of luxuriously being looked after by warm, attentive staff with a trendy bar and the other things the website alleges this is, look elsewhere.

My expectation, having seen a lot of businesses over the years, is that this hotel is not getting the bookings it needs within its business plan and unless it changes drastically will fold within 18 months.

Room tip: Just go for the fresher rooms. They are extremely good quality. Higher floors are better.
Date of stay: September 2018
6  Thank Chris D

Dear Chris D,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and the services following your last few says. As you will have seen the hotel is going through a transformation following the bedding-in period following the opening last year. The hotel's large public areas which can be a blessing as well as being detrimental as the space allows our guests the freedom to sit in many relaxing nooks, but can also make the hotel feel quiet at times as our guests spread out, not to mention those who just want to stay in our wonderful beds for as long as possible.

Our food and beverage manager has built a strong team over the past few months and is now working on a detailed training plan to ensure that service and guest interaction improve and we hope that you will see the difference the next time you stay with us. The menu has been changed, allowing service times to improve and this has been well received by our other regulars.

Car parking is an issue and we are trying to look at various options to overcome this, but at this point we are not in a position to promise any resolution.

Please do feel free to ask for me upon your next stay as I would like to discuss your experience in more detail to help us improve in both service and offering further.