“The hotel to stay in when visiting Bristol”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Holiday Inn has fantastic facilities including Academy conference rooms, bars and refreshment areas, ideal whether it’s for business or entertainment.
The breakfast has a excellent selection of food to choose from, either cooked to order or at the buffet - great food for superb prices!
The rooms are cosy and well-fitted out with tea, coffee making facilities and comfortable beds.
The hotel has a great location only a five minute walk away from the centre and Cabot Circus which includes a wide variety of shops and restaurants.
The staff are very welcoming and can’t do enough for you, particularly Cat. Hope to return in the near future.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Hi Sheona Jean M,

Thank you for the excellent 5* review!

I have shared your comments with our team and we're really pleased to hear about your great experience with us and that you really enjoyed all the facilites that our hotel has to offer. It's also great to hear that you really enjoyed the food we have to offer and felt it was great value.

We were humbled by your kind comments regarding our helpful you found our team and in particular your special mention of Cat. I shared your review with her and she was delighted to hear about your great stay and would like me to pass you her thanks.

Thank you again for the lovely feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

This place is a strange mixture of the quite good and very bad. The communal areas are cold, grubby and unappealing. The lifts are slow and the key cards typically took me 10-15 attempts before they worked. What’s more, the lift always stops on the second floor on the way up and way down. This is allegedly a “security precaution”, according to the sign, but since there is never anyone there to check who’s in the lift it isn’t clear how this helps.

On the plus side, the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

The biggest problem is the management and service culture. After being welcomed as an IHG loyalty member, I was then asked for a 50-pound deposit. This is despite the fact that IHG have my credit card details on file and I’ve stayed at their hotels all around the world. “Welcome Mr Brooker and thank you for your loyalty. Now please give us 50 pounds because we think you might be a thieving toerag.” I mean, really? Whose hare-brained idea was this insulting policy? It’s obviously not a central directive since I’ve never been asked for a deposit (as far as I can remember) at any other IHG hotel.

They then checked me in to a dirty, uncleared room. When I went back down to report this, I was told that “the computer said it was clean”. (Don’t blame us, we just work here - blame the computer!)

I booked two more rooms, for my 82-year-old mother and my brother. Since the IHG app wouldn’t allow me to change the name on the reservation, I spoke to the front desk staff to ensure that my relatives would be able to check in if I wasn’t there.

They did, but only after demanding to take 125 pounds off my brother’s credit card. This despite the fact that I *thought* I’d paid for both rooms in advance. The IHG app certainly gave me that impression.

I called the hotel, and what should have been a 2-minute conversation turned into a 30-minute rant as apparently it was all my fault because... I’m still not sure really. Or perhaps it was the computer’s fault. What’s certain is that it wasn’t the fault of anyone who actually works there.

To cap an eventful visit, my mother had a traumatic night after becoming locked in the toilet and having to call maintenance, who took a long time to free her.

There is one more plus: the food was surprisingly good. The fish and chips were excellent: batter fresh and the fish flaky and succulent - vastly better than the awful stuff I was served at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bristol last month.

But overall this hotel has some major problems.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank MatthewBrooker
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi MatthewBrooker,

Thank you for your stay and for sharing your experience with us. It is disheartening to know that your experience with our staff service and room accommodation was not as pleasant as it should have been. This is not the customer service we endeavor to deliver our guests and for that, we are truly sorry. Kindly note that we do not take your comments lightly. We will be sharing your feedback with our management to help us focus on improving the quality of our facilities and services. In line with this, I have sent you an email to discuss your review further.

We truly value you as an IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite member and hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.

Christian C.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 6 January 2018

We stayed here a couple of days. This place is centrally located and close to several restaurants and a popular movie theater and mall like shopping area. Parking is located close by and is at an additional cost. The rooms are well equipped and large, however here is no work out center or indoor pool. There is a concierge that can help with parking validation and general situational awareness, directions, recommendations.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Hi Peleliu08,

Thank you very much for the good 4* review.

I have shared your comments with our team and we were happy to hear you had a good stay with us and liked our very central location and what our hotel has to offer. Unfortunatly we do not have a pool to offer but we do have a well equiped gym on our 1st floor for all our guests at no extra cost.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Took our nieces to see we the curious and stayed in the holiday in for one night . Rooms spacious. But disappointed with the bathroom the shower instructions unclear and difficult to use.
The staff were helpful and pleasant especially Zaida and Lucy at breakfast.
It was my sisters birthday and they made it memorable with a cake and candle .
The children loved the fresh pancakes

Stayed: January 2018

Dear Joy T,

Thank you for taking the time you leave us your feedback and the lovely picture.

We're very pleased to hear you had a pleasent experience with us, it's especially great to hear a special mention for Zaida and Lucy who are also very proud of and deserve your praises. I have shared your comments with them and they were both overjoyed to see your kind comments and were thrilled that you had a memorable experience.

I also appreciate your feedback regarding the shower instructions, I have shared this with the relevant departments so we can aim to improve this and make it clearer.

Thank you again for the great review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Spent (another) couple of nights here for some post-Christmas shopping and fun.
When I booked an Executive Room I ticked the upgrade box and low and behold - we were upgraded to an Executive Suite. I don't want to stay in a normal room ever again!
Two big TVs, a baby one in the bathroom, lounge area, giant bathroom with a big bath, separate shower and twin sinks. A PS4 should you want to play games/watch films.....and two fake fires!
The room was clean, air-con did its job, a good bed and two happy customers.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Hi Grumbleweed4162,

Thank you for leaving us an excellent 5* review.

We're very pleased to hear that you opted in for an potential upgrade and were pleasantly surprised when you got our King Suite. It's great to hear that you really enjoyed the wonderful features that our King Suites have to offer.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope that you will come visit again soon.