Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
SAVE US$12
Hotels.comUS$63
Expedia.comUS$63
getaroom.comUS$65
All reviews temple meads station train station city centre beans busy road car park minute walk convenient location breakfast was included budget hotel double room yogurt short stay parking roadworks bath dispenser
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the HIEx Bristol on a business trip in July 18. It is ideal for the main Temple Meads Rail Station, being at the end of the station driveway (though across a busy road). The airport bus departs from the station too. However it is not ideal for the city centre as many of the sights are a good 20 minutes walk away. Other than the station, there is very little in the immediate vicinity.

The reception, bar & restaurant are all in the same area on the ground floor. Breakfast is served in this area but it can get busy at certain times. Notices are posted in the lift about this. Bar type meals are also served here in the evening. Food is ok but not fantastic (though the complimentary breakfast is good) being pizza, burgers or microwave type meals. As you’d expect it has the atmosphere of a hotel reception not a restaurant. For ambiance & more verity head in to the city.

There is only one lift, which can take forever to reach you during busy times (morning check-out/breakfast time) so leave plenty of time for your train.

The rooms are the what you’d expect from Holiday Inn Express rooms. Adequate. My room was comfortable, clean & the air con worked but space is at a premium. There was a desk to work from and tea & coffee facilities but not much else. The tv showed many ‘Freeview’ channels but no premium ones so forget about SKY. Bathroom prefabricated & small. But it did the job. My room was above the main road and was noisy at night as roadworks were being carried out. Hopefully these will be finished soon.

Overall I’d stay again if I had a late/early flight or train, but if I stay in Bristol for more than a night a hotel nearer the city centre would be my choice.

Trip type: Travelled on business
ExpressBristolCity, Guest Service Asisstant at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear dresinternational,
thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us recently. I'm glad to see you chose us for your stay and our location was conveniently placed in regards to local transport. It's good to see our rooms were up to standard in terms of cleanliness and it's what you had expected upon arrival to the hotel.

Your feedback as a whole is appreciated whether it be positive or negative and your comments will be taken on board.

Thank you again for staying with us and hopefully we can welcome you back again.

Daniel N, Guest Service Asisstant

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

We missed the hotel at first and had to go round again so need better signage. The car parking is really confusing, we parked and went to a door where we had to basically be buzzed it. Didn’t look like a great entrance way to be honest. Looked like the back of a chip shop.

When we got in we asked about car parking and the lad on the desk Faheem (apologies if incorrect) informed us about the parking but seem to be more confused the more he explained where/how to park. He then gave us a key for our room but then scribbled our the number and said “sorry this room is occupied”.

The rooms were actually ok besides the cracked/broken skirting, cracked bathroom tiles. The windows to be honest we’re great a lot of sirens outside I thought we won’t sleep but triple glazing spot on.

The nights sleep was pretty good to be honest there was a few kids banging and running at night and in the morning business men banging their doors etc. But was fine.

The breakfast was fairly bizarre;
- the sausages are advertised as Cumberland but definitely weren’t
- the coffee machine needed emptying off the wasted grounds and we had to wait around for someone to ask to empty which was done and then the milk ran out so had to wait again
- highchairs are dirty
- the duty manager (Krystina - again apologies if incorrect) wiped her nose with her hand never washed and then started walking around with a plate of toast for a guest
- the duty manager again and one of the breakfast waiters were smoking in the car parking gated area not really a pretty site (also wearing the breakfast aprons which I’m sure shouldn’t be allowed for hygiene reasons surely)

After breakfast there seemed to be no one around to assist at the desk and that in turn meant we had to wait with others to be served. Seemed like a gent in a white shirt (sorry no name badge) had been interrupted eating his breakfast.

To be fair this employee was the only one who was polite and seemed to work in all areas. I get the feeling he’s usually back of the hotel worker possibly GM or DGM and others should follow him.

*also the housekeeping team were polite and said good morning and told us to enjoy our day when we were leaving which is rare.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
ExpressBristolCity, Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Dear Paddington89,
thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay.

I am very sorry and disappointed to hear about your experience with us on this occasion. We try to make each guests stay enjoyable at every opportunity throughout their stay and I am very sorry to hear that that we did not achieve this on this occasion.

Your feedback regarding your room are appreciated, I am glad to see you could sleep well and the windows were effective in keeping noise out.

Your comments about your breakfast experience are very concerning and disappointing to read, this is definitely not the way we want our guests to start our day off, I can assure you hygiene is very important to us so I am sorry you witnessed this. This is not the usual behavior from our staff and I will pass on your feedback in order for this to not happen again.

Again I am sorry your stay was not the best, if you would like to contact us further regarding this you can always send us an email at info@expressbristolcity.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 2 August 2018

Smokers are pariahs we know but whilst sitting on the back steps quietly drinking a glass of red and smoking we were approached by the manager and told that we couldn’t sit there to smoke and that we had to go and stand by the waste bins !!!! That was the designated smoking area and there was no obligation for the hotel to provide any sort of seating. Otherwise, yes the hotel is ok, breakfast is ok, people are ok, (especially the very helpful Faheem) and the beds are far too small. Certainly not 5*

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
ExpressBristolCity, Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2018

Dear Ann H,
thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent trip to our hotel. Your feedback is appreciated both positive sides and negative sides. Firstly I am glad to see great feedback about one of our staff Members, Faheem. It's always lovely to see our staff are helpful towards our guests and can make a great impact. I am sorry to see that you did not have a great experience with one of our other staff members, as the steps are located below guests rooms, we do try to encourage people to smoke away from this area to help ensure other guests are not bothered by the smell of smoke which could linger into their room, but again I do apologize about this encounter and I will be sure to pass this feedback on to the team.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for our sons graduation end of July, my 1st impression after a long drive (M4 exit to M32 closed )was that our bed was a little small (an old fashioned double in our standard room rather than a king size) This was the only negative in an otherwise positive 2 nights stay. Great to have a QUIET and effective air con unit in our bedroom, which was clean and comfy. We arrived rather later than expected but the pizza I ordered after 11pm was not the “ cardboard tasteless” one that I have had in other hotels but really very tasty!
The staff were all very helpful & friendly, special mention to Daria on reception who went that extra mile to help make our stay extra special.
It’s well placed for an easy walk to the M2 museum and Princes quayside, (try the olive shed for a lovely lunch and views) Also try the Orchard Inn behind the SS Great Britain museum, for great selection of ciders. (Follow the harbour walk)

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Li1ibet,
thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express to stay with during your time in Bristol for your sons graduation. I'm glad to see your overall stay was positive. the air con is a great addition to the rooms especially during this hot weather we've been having recently. It's great to see also you enjoyed the food at the hotel from our mini cafe. Thank you for your kind comments regarding one of our staff, Daria in paticular. It's great she could go the extra mile for you during your time with us.

I hope we can welcome you back again if you visit Bristol in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here recently whilst attending Bristol's Harbour Festival weekend. Very good accommodation, clean & modern. Staff very helpful. Room price includes a comprehensive breakfast. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ExpressBristolCity, Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Dear Ann C,
thank you for writing a review following your stay with us to attend the Bristol Harbour Festival recently. It's great to see you were happy with your choice in choosing us for your accommodation and I am happy to see our staf were helpful also during your time with us.

Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future.