“Overpriced average food ”

Sergio's Restaurant
Ranked #563 of 1,795 Restaurants in Bristol
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

The food was ok but nothing special. I found the pizza too salty for my liking and the calamari was really spicy, I didn’t enjoy our meal and it was expensive for what we got. It is a shame as I was expecting so much more. Unfortunately, we will not be returning.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

We had our Christmas meal at Sergio’s this year. I have been there many time and therefore it was my suggestion, so you are always a bit nervous. Not to worry though. The staff were very helpful as we got there 45 mins early. Food was great as was the service.
Thoroughly commended

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Christmas party booked. Deposit paid 2 months ahead. 1 month ahead I asked to pay off the remainder along with giving the menu orders. I was told the final payment would be taken on the night. When we arrived @ 7.15 for our 7.30 booking, we were asked to wait outside as the table wasn’t ready. This was on a cold December Saturday evening!! We waited for 5 mins, but had to go in as we were getting very cold.

We waited for the table and I again asked to pay the remainder of the bill before any drinks or corkage were added. I was told I could not pay until the end of the meal. I said that as I had collected the payments from everyone in the party I wanted to pay and make sure nothing else got added. Again it was refused as I was told it was ‘company policy’. Surprising, as I’ve always believed this was a family run restaurant?

Some of the party had brought their own Wine, but some wanted to order drinks. They did this with 1 Waitress and also made her aware that 2 of the party would not be joining us. After 30 mins another Waitress came to the table and was asked about the drinks order. She went off to get them which took another 10 mins. She then delivered 3 garlic breads which we did not order. Again we explained that 2 of the party would not be attending but would expect the food to come out. More drinks were ordered, but after another wait of 10 mins, 1 of the party went to a bar across the road and returned with a couple of beers. (The drinks never arrived).

An hour and 20 mins after sitting down, the Starters arrived. Very nice. Table cleared and another 30 mins passed before the Main course. Again, great food. And eventually Dessert was served.

Then the Waitress brought the bill. She had a separate bill for the few drinks served, but the food bill had deducted £20 from the deposit paid. When I asked her to correct this, she refused and said it was because ‘2 people didn’t turn up’?! I explained that it didn’t make sense. We were paying for the whole party and I had paid the full 10 x 16 =£160 which should be deducted from the final bill, not £140, so could I speak with the Manager. The Waitress went off and came back saying that I needed to pay the bill as it was. I said that I wouldn’t and that we would now leave and I would call tomorrow. The Waitress said that we could not leave without paying, but I said that we could and would if the bill was not corrected. At this point I asked the rest of my party to leave. They got up and prepared to leave. The Waitress again went away and returned shortly after and said I just needed to pay the amount I believed it should be. I did that, which also removed the 10% service charge that had been applied.

What a shame this happened, leaving a very sour taste in our mouths, over-shadowing the good food and leading the restaurant to losing out on the service charge; corkage and drinks that we couldn’t get ordered which were bought from the bar across the road and brought into the restaurant.

Overstretched, under-planned, disorganised, manic, poorly managed. All of these words describe the chaotic nature of the evening across the whole restaurant.

The story of our evening has been shared extensively already, so already a large number of people will never try to visit and those of us who have used it before will not be returning.

What a shame to see the demise of an establishment through such poor service which totally overshadowed the lovely food. And it really wouldn’t be difficult to get it right!!

1  Thank Angi2305
Reviewed 27 November 2017

A really warm welcome on a cold, dark afternoon! We had a late lunch here and really enjoyed it. The restaurant is in a very old historic building and has a nice "nooks and corners" feel. the staff were lovely and really looked after us. The set lunch was excellent value: I had the sardines (fresh and tasty) and the linguine with pancetta and mushrooms (filling and perfectly blended) with a carafe of white house wine. Three of use shared a chocolate torte pudding which I would also recommend. My biggest memory of this restaurant is of smiles and laughter. I will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed 14 November 2017

not anything like I was told it would be - was expecting so much more

- no service upon entry
- had to get our own menus
- received dirty glasses
- dirty cutlery
- dirty table
- general hostility

eventually the owner came to our table to take our order after 15/20mins of waiting. we didn't even mind that...but the restaurant wasn't even that busy. We finally received a jug of water and were given filthy glasses. Also ordered a soft drink for 2.70 in a half pint glass. the glass we received looked like someone had already drank half of it! it was dirty and had lip marks on it. The waiter who came to serve us did not speak or understand any english, which made it difficult to inform him of what we wanted. he disappeared off with my dirty glass and returned with an even dirtier glass with even less drink in it. By this point I was fed up.

Ordered the Calamari, scallops (£10 for 2 scallops! and they were cold when they arrived) the only thing that was nice was the asparagus wrapped in parma ham :(

When the mains arrived, I was even more disappointed. The spaghetti marinara was made in the exact same stew that the calamari came in...blue cheese linguine was not anything special either. when spoken to, the owner responded with hostility when asked not to charge service charge.

We had no service, dirty crockery. By this point we just wanted to leave after seeing other customers very angrily complain about the lack of service and state of cutlery received. The meal still came to just over 100 pounds after discussing taking off service charge with owner. (!) this was a starter and a main each and we brought our own wine...adding to that, the bill was wrong by a few pounds!

This isn't a problem, but you would expect the owner to know his own price list...

Somewhere, the love for hospitality has gone. Won't be returning any time soon.

2  Thank Didi D