3 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$277
PricelineUS$277
TravelocityUS$277
Orbitz.comUS$277
Agoda.comUS$276
All reviews the main house stunning setting fresh milk tissington trail country house our tenth wedding anniversary stayed one night sitting room fillet steak great weekend fabulous place both mornings stayed longer mini break birthday treat underfloor heating night stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 June 2022

The hotel itself is lovely - the grounds, the treehouses, the restaurant and lounge areas. We had a small room which overlooked the rear and by the sounds of it was above the kitchens judging by the noise. The bed/shower itself was great, we really liked being able to chromecast to the tv, but the room was very warm - even with the window fully open.
In summary - the place itself is very nice, and the staff we spoke to were lovely, but they are too inexperienced and not going the extra mile that they need to.
Afternoon tea was lovely - but despite being plenty of tables, we got allocated one that was too small for all the plates/cups etc.
We booked a 2 night offer including bike hire, but the bikes were unavailable - disapointing that we had to go to the trouble of finding our own bike hire (which the hotel did refund once we had requested it) - the Tissington Trail is virtually on the doorstep.
We had a drink in the bar , waited 20 mins just for someone to even acknowledge we were there.
What was really really disapointing was that we went without a meal on the Sat night - there was no mention in the booking details of needing to book a table in advance, and then we found out too late that there was no reservation, and that all the tables had gone, Whilst the receptionist was very apologetic, there was no alternative or option offered. We walked into Ashbourne but were too late ...everything seemed to have shut up for the evening. To be blunt - no one even seemed to care that much and by this point we would have been grateful for just a plate of cheese/biscuits.
I would agree with the other reviews - that the hotel needs to shore up its customer service because just being a nice hotel at this price isnt going to cut it - it needs to think much more about the actual customers and their needs.

Room tip: Book everything in advance, dont get a room that faces the back/over the kitchens.
Date of stay: June 2022
1  Thank V6263BTcherylr
Jeremy Whitworth, General Manager at Wildhive Callow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay all Callow Hall Hotel. As a newly opened hotel, we always want to listen to our guest’s comments and take on board what is needed.

I sincerely apologise for the noise that came from the kitchen and we are investigating this and looking into solutions that can stop this from happening in the future.

As a new hotel, we do have new staff members and training is important. We can understand that new staff member might not always know everything but will always do their utmost to make sure they are able to resolve a situation. As a hotel, we always want to go over and beyond for our guests and pride ourselves on doing this. I believe as a hotel we do this but, on this occasion, it seems that we have fallen short on a few points.

I haven’t had an issue with the tables being too small in the past but will of course be looking into how we can resolve this for future afternoon teas.

Bike hire is offered in the room booking but we do always ask our guests to pre-book these in advance. We don’t keep a big stock at the hotel as they are not always used every day. I am sorry that this was not made clear at the time of booking and will be looking into our confirmation emails and making sure this is made clearer.

It really worried me you said that you waited 20 minutes in the bar. So much that I have since reviewed our CCTV and can see that you were seen by one of my colleagues after 10 minutes of being at the bar. My colleague was busy with other guests at that moment in time and after 10 minutes was greeted and seen by one of our managers. Saturday night was a fully booked night and very busy for us and do apologise that you had to wait to be acknowledged.

I am also sorry that we were not able to get you a table on Saturday night. With us being a very popular restaurant with the locals and the hotel guests we do always ask in our confirmation emails that guests should book for dinner before arriving. As stated in our email ‘Our Garden Room restaurant is very popular to hotel guests and residents. If you would like a table for dinner during your stay, and you haven't already booked, please let us know as soon as possible, to avoid disappointment. Please click here to see a copy of our sample menu.’

We will of course learn from your feedback and take it on board and always try to do our utmost to help our guests from the time they book their room until the day they check out.

I would be very willing to talk about this more and if you would like to please don't hesitate to email me.

Kind Regards
jeremy.whitworth@wildhive.uk

Reviewed 6 June 2022 via mobile

This is an upscale expensive hotel set in the countryside just outside Ashbourne. A lot of investment has gone into the hotel grounds and treehouses "hives" and it is very comfortable. There is a nice terrace outside with loungers and deck chairs overlooking a lovely wild flower meadow. Our compact room was small with a poor view, only 1 chair, but a lovely shower, internet radio, and complimentary snacks. The restaurant is fully glass sided on all 4 sides, so very light with great rural views, but gets noisy because of the hard surfaces. Service was poor, waiting on staff were young and new and needed better training My chips were poor with the large Barnsley chop and I guess had been cooked some time ago and kept heated The hotel has 3 comfy lounges, the library snug was my favourite Super to walk i the grounds round the hives, you are transported there by buggy. The Tissington trail on an old railway line is very close by with bike hire and pleasant walks, even through a disused railway tunnel into Ashbourne. With a bit more training, sorting the food, this will be a tip top hotel Pity it doesnt have a swimming pool, but there is a spa we didnt use.

Room tip: Parking is separate away from the hotel, but you can use drop off bays beside the entrance . You need to book the restaurant, it is popular Great place to chill.
Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2022 via mobile

I am very sorry to have to report i was served one of the worst meals I have eaten in any restaurant ever let alone the one that is attached to the Times Hotel of the year. The only time I have felt angry about spending a deal of money on such a poor meal. Sorry!!! I live in Ashbourne and wish I could send a good review. Sorry Callow Hall - you have a long way to go.

Date of stay: June 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jeremy Whitworth, General Manager at Wildhive Callow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2022

Dear S7183XCannew

Thank you for your recent review of Callow Hall Hotel. I would ask that you email me personally so I am able to understand more about why you felt the Dinner was so poor. As a newly opened hotel, we always strive for perfection and on this occasion, it seems we have fallen short. Talking to yourself will mean that I am able to go back to my team on what we have done wrong and means we can improve from your feedback.

If you could email me at Jeremy.whitworth@wildhive.uk that would be great.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2022 via mobile

We came for dinner to meet some other family members staying in the hotel.
Firstly, the building itself is just stunning! The interior design is so beautiful and there is a gorgeous smell when you walk in.
The restaurant in the evening was quite busy but due to the way the tables are arranged it felt very private.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
The menu was nice and small but varied. The food was lovely.

Date of stay: March 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2022

Stayed at this lovely hotel for two nights on Monday and Tuesday April 25th and 26th.
We arrived early as we wanted to walk around the grounds before having afternoon tea which was booked for 14.30 . Amy the receptionist informed us our room was all ready for us at 13.00 which was a nice surprise. After settling in , we had a very filling afternoon tea which was superb.
All the staff at this hotel from reception to dining room were fantastic, and the food is of an excellent standard, we ate for two nights in the dining area and we could not fault anything.
We stayed in room four which was spotlessly clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in . The only very small thing I would suggest to the Management team ,is to maybe have some small nibbles when served with pre dinner drinks , and maybe a chocolate truffle or mint with after dinner coffee.
This hotel was a lovely relaxing break for our 20th wedding anniversary. Thanks to all the staff at Callow Hall.

Room tip: I think all the rooms will be excellent
Date of stay: April 2022
Jeremy Whitworth, General Manager at Wildhive Callow Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2022

Dear patterdalesforus

Thank you for choosing Callow Hall as the place to stay for your 20th wedding anniversary. We are so pleased that you had a fantastic stay.

We are delighted that we were able to get you into the room earlier than expected, as you said it is always a 'nice surprise,' when we can do this.

I will of course be passing all your lovely comments on to the team at the hotel, they will be very happy to hear that 'you couldn't fault anything.'

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Regards