“Absolute fav place ever! A real Gem!”
Review of roots restaurant

roots restaurant
Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in Krugersdorp
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Roots restaurant at Forum Homini Hotel is a destination for fine dining. Our creative team, produces delectable food from light and simple ingredients with exciting combinations in every dish. The daily degustation menus are individually paired with optional course matched wine teasers. Sharing delicious food and wine at your leisure with views over the lake and veld, is one of the most delightful things to do in Gauteng. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Monthly wine tastings are popular events. Luxury accommodation, meeting & special occasion facilities also available.
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

My partner and I have had the absolute pleasure to dine at Roots like 4 times already and it has been amazing every single time we have been there. The staff are fantastic and the attention to detail on the food is just amazing! Fine dining at its finest! I can’t wait to go back... we have been there on A Friday, Saturday & Sunday now... every single time was fabulous! highly recommended! Especially with the wine pairing, I just wish the portions were slightly bigger... but seriously a must try!

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

I would just like to say a massive thank you to Nicki (hotel manager).
I booked dinner with wine pairing and a room for the night. I had plans to propose to my lady and I needed some assistance with the last few details. I contacted him and he was beyond helpful. He helped with every small detail and made sure that my plans went off without a single hiccup! I gave him my ideas and plans and he executed them better than I could have ever imagined! He took care of every finer detail so that I could pop the big question. I would also like to say a huge thank you to Lucky, he was our waiter and unbeknown to me he knew exactly what my plans were and he made sure we were well and truly looked after. From dinner to breakfast he was nothing short of brilliant!

Both Nicki and Lucky made sure I could pop the big question with peace of mind knowing that everything was taken care of! Thanks again guys!!! True assets to this hotel and restaurant!

The pictures really don’t do the room justice. It looked amazing.

1  Thank Ross H
Reviewed 10 May 2018

My wife booked a dinner table for two to celebrate my birthday (7 May). I had heard how great this restaurant was but I am not one to go with the hype. Needless to say the restaurant is that and more. We opted for a 6 course set menu with wine pairing teasers. The food portions are designed to tantalize and satisfy.

Linda who was serving us for the evening was brilliant - always there but not intrusive. Zinhle our sommelier for the evening took us on an imaginary wine route and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Even though we were the only diners - which is probably understandable on a cold Monday evening, we actually never felt like it’s just us, Linda and Zinhle kept us company.

This was indeed one of our best fine dining experience.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

We were welcomed by friendly people and wine. The food was amazing. The staff were efficient. The restaurant is set in a beautiful place

Reviewed 2 May 2018

My husband and I had visisted Roots Restauarant a few years ago and it had been an exquisite fine dining experience. This led us to choose the same location to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday this past Sunday, but we found the overall experience tainted by the level of service.

We had to request the wine lists three times and the first course arrived before we had even been offered drinks. Someone tried to pour us pairing wine (without checking) when we had explicitly stated we would be choosing our own wine. When we ordered wine, we had to physically point it out on the menu, yet the waiter had to return twice because he couldn't remember the orders. When the wine eventually did arrive, the incorrect wine had been sourced by the sommelier. Yet again they attempted to serve us the first course when only half of the table had drinks.

The final straw was when a call interrupted our third course from Roots itself asking why we had not arrived to lunch and whether we were still intending to. After raising this lack of internal communication and general service as a major concern, we were allocated another waitress who was very sweet but repeatedly inserted herself into our personal conversation with questions and comments. Small comment: reading the food course details off of cue cards was not great either...

Apart from this, the food was good, plating was lovely, the wine list is commendable and reasonably priced. Apologies were made (and appreciated) and a special birthday dessert served. Despite this, the incidents above prevented it from being a seamless, special occasion for my mother, whom I only see occasionally as we live in Europe. My parting shot is that a fine dining restaurant is not merely about great food & setting (otherwise I would have rated the experience higher) - the service is a critical part of the experience and if Roots is able to increase the quality/training of staff in this area they could compete with some of the other top restaurants in the country.

1  Thank Tans_in_SA