Villa Eyrie Resort(Malahat)(Great Value!)
US$209
Orbitz.com
US$82
All reviewsduplexvictoriahighwaycabinwifitreestv
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My sis and brother-in-law came up to Victoria for a one-week holiday and I picked the lodging. Trip Advisor suggested that the Malahat Bungalow Motel would be a comfortable and inexpensive place. We got a 2BR cabin with kitchen, fireplace, etc and really have enjoyed our stay. The grounds and room are very clean, the decor rustic, the surrounding forest masks much of the highway noise. It's just a 5-minute drive to a wonderful park (Goldstream) with great hiking. The only thing I'd change is the highway, a dangerous stretch of road in the best of conditions.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chip S
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Looked nice when passing. Heard that renos had brought the property up. Room was overpriced for what it offered. Paid extra $10 for damp firewood. Fireplace long overdue for cleaning. ...smoke backed up easily and was permeated into all furniture and fabrics. Kitchen not cleaned..Smelled and found old food. Bathroom amenities sparse. Room freezing cold when we arrived. Took long time to warm. Lessons learned I suppose...Look closer before trying out ..perhaps you will have a better experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrJ682
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed in the cabin a couple of nights while visiting Victoria. It was only a short trip into Victoria (aprx 15 minutes to Douglas st) hitting the traffic right, and the cabin served as a nice forest grove getaway for the evening. I wasn't feeling that great and the cabin was nice to return to: comfortable, especially the soft bedding and mattress. Good cable tv and wifi. The cabin certainly had a new feel to it and the grounds were very pleasant and well-maintained ... a lot of pride has gone into renewal here. Nestled into the forest, highway noise was buffered enough at my cabin to not be a factor at all and the price was very fair!

Room Tip: I'd stay closer to the office
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank fisher_eye_lens
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I took my dad on one of our little getaways and I was trying to find somewhere different to stay as we like to surprise him. Our options are limited as dad is elderly and tires easily, so we try to stay close to his home. While googling I saw the Malahat Bungalows and decided to view their web page.

It had been years since we stayed there, and when we last stayed the place was run down and not very clean. The old shower stall scared me, as it brought to mind the old Bates Motel. However, I was impressed with their website, and there were a couple reviews that looked good, so I decided lets give it a try.

When we arrived we were very impressed with the landscaping. Obviously the new owners were taking pride in their motel, which was a good sign. We entered our cabin and were very pleased, not only with the layout but also the immediate feel of comfort and cleanliness. We set dad up in the bedroom across from the bathroom, so he had easy access to it during the night if he needed, and the room was far enough away that we did not keep him awake with the TV and our chatter. The beds were double beds, which was nice because I hate when cabins have queen size beds and you can not walk in the room as it takes up the whole space. The mattresses were nice and firm, and I slept 7 hours straight with only stirring briefly.

The cabin was spacious and quite bright, despite the fact that we were nestled in amongst some rather tall trees. The cabins have either all been renovated or in the midst of renovations and all this since the new owners purchased the motel grounds 3 1/2 years ago. My father was very pleased with everything and tickled pink to stay there as him and my mother had stayed there many many years ago when they had to go into Victoria for a few days.

The trip to Victoria is a short one, as is the trip up-island to Duncan if you have family and friends in that direction. It was a relaxing and fun time for us.

The only thing I would add to the cabin we stayed in is hooks, hooks, and more hooks. There was no where to hang our bath towels to dry, and or the dish towels and cloth. Also, I would leave a broom and dust pan in each cabin so that the tenants can sweep the floors if need be. The owners generously provided us with a broom and dust pan, which was good, as we travel with the dog and she is shedding. I would also have more dish clothes/towels in each cabin so that we have the option of complete privacy. The owners did offer to change our towels when we checked, but I declined, not realizing there was only one dish towel and cloth, but as we were only having breakfasts in it was not so much of a problem.

All in all, I would recommend this beautiful gem to any one who prefers cabins to stuffy hotel rooms and likes some privacy and the great outdoors. We will definitely return here again as it was such a lovely relaxing stay. Thank you to the lovely and very gracious owners for all the work they have done to turn a little eye sore into the beautiful little place it now is.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank maitiemouse
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband, myself, our three older kids and large dog stayed in a two bed bungalow for a week and had a great family holiday. The bungalow was spacious and clean and we found the beds to be comfortable (less so the sofa bed). The bunglows are spaced well apart giving each one it's own outdoor area, plus there was a large grassy area for games.
The owners were very pleasant, helpful and accomodating. They provided extra corckery etc as requested. The bungalows are generally only kitted out for four, including four chairs at the table.
Athough it is by the side of the highway, we didn't find the traffic noise to be a problem.
The kitchen had a large cooker/fridge freezer/microwave etc but was somewhat lacking in cooking utensils. We were cooking full meals each evening.
The wifi didn't work on our bungalow (towards the edge of the property) which wasn't a big problem but would have been nice.
Overall it was perfect for us to be able to relax together at the bungalow and go out and explore the lovely surrounding areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family