“cozy, clean and close to Victoria”

Malahat Bungalows Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malahat
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed in the cabin a couple of nights while visiting Victoria. It was only a short trip into Victoria (aprx 15 minutes to Douglas st) hitting the traffic right, and the cabin served as a nice forest grove getaway for the evening. I wasn't feeling that great and the cabin was nice to return to: comfortable, especially the soft bedding and mattress. Good cable tv and wifi. The cabin certainly had a new feel to it and the grounds were very pleasant and well-maintained ... a lot of pride has gone into renewal here. Nestled into the forest, highway noise was buffered enough at my cabin to not be a factor at all and the price was very fair!

Room Tip: I'd stay closer to the office
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank fisher_eye_lens

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I took my dad on one of our little getaways and I was trying to find somewhere different to stay as we like to surprise him. Our options are limited as dad is elderly and tires easily, so we try to stay close to his home. While googling I saw the Malahat Bungalows and decided to view their web page.

It had been years since we stayed there, and when we last stayed the place was run down and not very clean. The old shower stall scared me, as it brought to mind the old Bates Motel. However, I was impressed with their website, and there were a couple reviews that looked good, so I decided lets give it a try.

When we arrived we were very impressed with the landscaping. Obviously the new owners were taking pride in their motel, which was a good sign. We entered our cabin and were very pleased, not only with the layout but also the immediate feel of comfort and cleanliness. We set dad up in the bedroom across from the bathroom, so he had easy access to it during the night if he needed, and the room was far enough away that we did not keep him awake with the TV and our chatter. The beds were double beds, which was nice because I hate when cabins have queen size beds and you can not walk in the room as it takes up the whole space. The mattresses were nice and firm, and I slept 7 hours straight with only stirring briefly.

The cabin was spacious and quite bright, despite the fact that we were nestled in amongst some rather tall trees. The cabins have either all been renovated or in the midst of renovations and all this since the new owners purchased the motel grounds 3 1/2 years ago. My father was very pleased with everything and tickled pink to stay there as him and my mother had stayed there many many years ago when they had to go into Victoria for a few days.

The trip to Victoria is a short one, as is the trip up-island to Duncan if you have family and friends in that direction. It was a relaxing and fun time for us.

The only thing I would add to the cabin we stayed in is hooks, hooks, and more hooks. There was no where to hang our bath towels to dry, and or the dish towels and cloth. Also, I would leave a broom and dust pan in each cabin so that the tenants can sweep the floors if need be. The owners generously provided us with a broom and dust pan, which was good, as we travel with the dog and she is shedding. I would also have more dish clothes/towels in each cabin so that we have the option of complete privacy. The owners did offer to change our towels when we checked, but I declined, not realizing there was only one dish towel and cloth, but as we were only having breakfasts in it was not so much of a problem.

All in all, I would recommend this beautiful gem to any one who prefers cabins to stuffy hotel rooms and likes some privacy and the great outdoors. We will definitely return here again as it was such a lovely relaxing stay. Thank you to the lovely and very gracious owners for all the work they have done to turn a little eye sore into the beautiful little place it now is.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank maitiemouse
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband, myself, our three older kids and large dog stayed in a two bed bungalow for a week and had a great family holiday. The bungalow was spacious and clean and we found the beds to be comfortable (less so the sofa bed). The bunglows are spaced well apart giving each one it's own outdoor area, plus there was a large grassy area for games.
The owners were very pleasant, helpful and accomodating. They provided extra corckery etc as requested. The bungalows are generally only kitted out for four, including four chairs at the table.
Athough it is by the side of the highway, we didn't find the traffic noise to be a problem.
The kitchen had a large cooker/fridge freezer/microwave etc but was somewhat lacking in cooking utensils. We were cooking full meals each evening.
The wifi didn't work on our bungalow (towards the edge of the property) which wasn't a big problem but would have been nice.
Overall it was perfect for us to be able to relax together at the bungalow and go out and explore the lovely surrounding areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie E
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for one night as we were passing through.
The location is a lovely place, a little clearing in the woods with a lovely feel to the place.
They booked us in last minute which was very nice of them.
The couple are very nice and generous people, we were hungry and was trying to call for a pizza delivery but unfortunately they were closed, so the lady made us some toast and coffees, to keep us going till morning.

The room was basic but cosy, we had a double bed and a bathroom. The bed was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom looked new, and was clean and tidy.
Television worked excellently and the room was clean.

:-)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jasmine C
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My family and I recently took a trip to Vancouver Island and we are very happy we found this place. We stayed in an independent bungalow with two rooms, which felt like home with plenty of space. I found the place to be very tranquil and relaxing.

Upon arrival, the bungalow was already heated up and there were firewoods for us to use for the fireplace. It was cozy and wonderful altogether. I loved the place during the Winter time, so my family and I will definitely plan to come stay here again in Summer. Highly recommended for family holidays!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahat
Quality Inn Waddling Dog
Villa Eyrie Resort
#1 of 2 in Malahat
Moon Water Lodge
#1 of 4 in Malahat

Been to Malahat Bungalows Motel? Share your experiences!