“Great ribs and fries”
Review of Big Racks Barbecue

Big Racks Barbecue
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Iqaluit
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Description: We provide good eats and portions at good prices especially here in Iqaluit. Most everything is made here in house from raw ingredients. we are quite new still and have been having great success and very positive feed back on product and service!! Thanks for checking us out and hope to see you during you travels!!
Reviewed 9 April 2016 via mobile

I had expected a pub environment. It's more like takeout with 4 tables. But the ribs were excellent and a decent choice of sides. I had fries and cornbread. Yummy. And huge portion. I'll definitely go again next time I'm in town.

Date of visit: April 2016

Reviewed 4 April 2016

We ate there twice and each time I seen something else I wanted to try. The guys that work there are a great bunch to chat with.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 15 March 2016

This is a new place and have really carved out a place for themselves. The ribs and pulled pork are great, serving sizes are generous and the mini corn breads are awesome. The eat-in area is a bit small but clean and bright.

Reviewed 25 February 2016

I ordered a pizza here (large $40 with a few toppings), I called before hand to place an order.
When I went inside to pick it up, the cooks were all busy and the cashier was as well. There were no customers, but they all appeared busy. I happened to see my pizza in the oven, and I waited politely so the cashier would acknowledge me.

She didn't even look up at me, and then she disappeared in the back. So I decided to have a seat and wait. Shortly after new customers came in and the cashier came out and was super chatty with the new customers that she happened to know. She took their orders and continued conversing with them.

Now I am a little fed up, so I stood up and looked at one of the cooks and said I'm waiting for a pizza. He says "oh ya its been done for a while now!"

Great food, but the cashiers need to a few lessons on customer service.

1  Thank Rufio_G
Reviewed 20 February 2016

This is a great addition to the restaurant scene in Iqaluit. The portions are huge and the prices are very reasonable for the north. The menu is quite large, including barbecue items such as ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork as well as burgers and pizza. Breakfast menu items are being added for some time in the spring of 2016. They have a small sit down area of three tables as well as an open kitchen, but most of the action is take out, with a reasonable six dollar delivery fee. I simply walked one minute from my hotel, Capital Suites, ordered my meal and took it back to my room.

A BBQ joint will be judged on it's ribs, so let's start there. Everything is prepared on site and the ribs were taken from a holding area, sauce was placed on top and they ware heated in an oven. The ribs were a spare rib cut, not baby back, so they were not as lean, but quite meaty. The end portion of the spare rib was left on, called the brisket, and it mostly contains fat and cartilege. I would prefer that portion removed as is done in most other places. Secondly, the sauce should be brushed all over the ribs before reheating, not just ladled on top. I prefer a tangier sauce with a bit of heat and this was a sweeter variety, but that is personal preference. I also suggest the ribs spend extra time in the oven as they were served warm, not hot. The 1/3 rack was a generous portion for one diner.

I also chose a 1/4 chicken as the second meat. It was a substantial white breast and wing but could also benefit from more generous coverage of sauce and serving hotter. A chicken breast takes longer to warm up than the much thinner ribs.

My two sides included cole slaw and fries. The slaw was fresh and crisp, with a rich mayo dressing that had a hint of sweetness. The fries were fresh cut each day and the 50 pound bags of potatoes were clearly seen in the restaurant. Congratulations. They were quite good. Each small batch was fresh cooked and lightly seasoned before serving. They were pretty hot when I got them home but put them in the oven at 350 with the other meats until everything was at the right serving temperature. The take out included ketchup but I would suggest salt and vinegar be another option, as we are still in Canada.

Overall, this is a great place. It has only been open two months and I'm sure it will improve. Service was efficient. The kitchen, open for all to see, is very clean and modern. The prices are great and portions are generous. I wish these young northern business people every success. Recent press coverage in the local paper mentioned they may add caribou and some other local foods in the future and there may also be a liquor licence at a later time. I encurage you to support this business.