“Excellent.......”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Our group of 12 (in town volunteering for Habitat for Humanity) visited with a reservation, and no one in the group found anything to complain about. Service was quick and very friendly, and water glasses refilled often (one of our measures of good service). Between us we had the char, the char burger, the frob burger, seafood mac and cheese, braised beef rib, lamb shank, french onion soup, watermelon salad, the prime rib dip, and duck flatbread. The presentation was excellent and everybody raved about everything. Yes, the prices were higher, but finding this kind of quality in Iqaluit was a surprise! The group is already taking about a possible return visit.......

Reviewed 19 April 2017

While it was quite convenient to be able access a restaurant in my hotel, I found that the service staff were run off their feet. The restaurant gets quite busy, but the staff is minimal. The meal was good for the value.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

Really nice decor and atmosphere. Great menu and really good prices given its location. Service is really good as well. A bonus is that local artists are likely to come around to your table with very beautiful pieces of art for sale.

Reviewed 19 February 2017

Ate here with our friends , food was good and the place was very appealing . Bought a soapstone polar bear Mage by local artist for much better price then a souvenir shop ... They will negotiate as well .

Reviewed 19 September 2016

This restaurant has now been renamed "The Frob" and it is part of the Frobisher Inn hotel complex. It is quite pricey and it should be noted that there are other lower priced food options in Iqaluit. What sets this restaurant apart is that it is decidedly more upscale.

While staying at the Frobisher Inn, I ate on two occasions at this restaurant. Once for dinner and once for brunch. Dinner was just OK. I ordered the cod croquettes (cod cakes) with basil risotto as a side dish. After finishing my meal, I was quite upset to learn that lobster risotto was a special for that evening. My server did not even mention this to me, but the table next to me had a different server and she was diligent enough to tell them all the specials that evening. I noticed this was consistent fault of this restaurant: when I returned on another evening I asked about the specials and the staff were not well informed and had to check with one another. Better training and coordination is one recommendation for The Frob that comes to my mind. Overall, my dinner meal that evening was just OK, with overall experience ruined by my server's oversight.

Sunday brunch, on the other hand, was fantastic. There was plenty of different dishes to chose from: seafood dishes, pasta, a nice cooked ham, a crepe station, various cold cuts and cheeses, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict and a huge assortment of desserts. There was endless tea, apple and orange juice. At $40 per person I found this to be a great deal considering these a la carte items on a normal night at the Frob would have been incredibly expensive. I was also told by the locals that oftentimes they have local cuisine like wild game stews and arctic char. Honestly, the brunch really redeemed this restaurant. It's a great spread and great value. If only the staff could be more informed about what's on the menu...