“Food = 4 / Service = 1-1/2”

Old Surrey Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Surrey Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 857 Restaurants in Surrey
Price range: US$23 - US$54
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Newton
Cross street: 134th street
Description: Nestled in the heart of Surrey, Old Surrey Restaurant is the culinary life force of fine dining this side of the Fraser. Founded in 1975, the Old Surrey serves up fresh, inspired dishes with local ingredients including lamb and veal from the family’s Chilliwack farm.
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Lovely dinner for 4 to celebrate our daughter's 25th birthday. Three of us enjoyed the Fall menu which was a 4 course meal (best Caesar salad ever!) and all 3 chose Beef Wellington as our main. Food was all exceptional (except for a tough fibrous portion of my Wellington). The evening to me was marred from several points to keep it from being great. I am aware that these are all small points - except for the last - however this place does market itself as higher-end so these are flaws for an establishment of this kind. Drink orders taken at the beginning and 1-1/2 hours later we were asked if we would like another; meanwhile our glasses were empty until the last few bites of dinner. There was butter and bread knives on the table yet no bread given? Water glasses left half filled until the end of our meals and with no other beverages this is sad. Keep in mind we would have flagged over someone had there been more than the whisking of plates on and off our table. Now I get to the worst server experience ever. I had planned 2 hours for dinner which to me did not seem unreasonable and only because my husband had a hockey game. So with 15 minutes left to our window of opportunity, and with the server finally within reach, I say to him "excuse me we have another engagement to be at so I'm wondering when the dessert may be". The response was emphatically replied for the entire room to hear should there have been interest. "Oh you have somewhere else to be? Well I have this table and this table and this table, and this table will also have dessert and you DID order the 4 course meal". Completely undeserved this response and sadly it will be a story I will tell over and over again. You can forget what someone said, and you can forget what someone did, but you can never forget how someone made you feel.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

OMG...this place continues to excite and enthrall my taste buds. An exquisite experience that must be enjoyed. I love how each dish is expertly prepared in front of your eyes. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

This was the first time we visited. It reminded me of restaurant visits in my youth. The average age of the patrons seemed to be 50 and up so maybe I wasn't the only one to feel that way. It all seemed a bit dated to me - the menu, the service, the ambiance.
There was some cool air coming from under the table, but it was very hot inside and the windows did not open.
The beef was delicious and I would recommend coming here for steak, but I wasn't temped by anything else on the menu - not even dessert! The service was uneven, with long periods without a server and we had to refill our own wine glasses. I had expected better service as the restaurant is a bit pricey.
This is not the place to go to if you prefer light and airy spaces and/or modern cuisine.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

An excellent meal that feels as if it is served in a friend's home. The restaurant is located in a very old building which lends itself to a very unpretentious atmosphere. Quality, old style service from very experienced and professional servers. The food is of excellent quality. This was our anniversary dinner and I will find many more excuses to dine here. Their Chateaubriand for two is truly a dining experience you must try..

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Can't believe I went twice to Old Surrey restaurant exactly one month apart for their "prix-fixe Chateaubriand" special held only from early July to early September this year. This time it was three of us, including a friend who has never been there despite living in Surrey for three decades.

The food is served "old school" meaning food is prepared in front of the patrons, from the Caesar salad to entree to dessert.

Our first time was "WOW". This time only a couple of small complaints. There was a bit too much dressing on the Caesar salad but still delicious, and one of us wanted their Chateaubriand a bit more rare even though I personally thought it was cooked med-rare as requested. Next time we have to remember to just ask for "rare" as the meat is still cooking when plated.

It was a very enjoyable evening had by all and a head's up, I booked online for a Tues night and the 6:30 pm sittings were already taken. Had to settle for a 7 pm sitting.

The kitchen itself closes at 9 pm but the restaurant closes when the last table leaves.

Our friend absolutely enjoyed every minute of the dining experience and all of us would not hesitate to return again.

Btw, we were so full by the time the entree was served, and just like last time, we all ended up taking the rest of the Chateaubriand (& plentiful amount of vegetables) home.

We had just enough room to enjoy the Cherries Jubilee dessert, made right in front us. It's quite a show! What a perfect ending to the night.