6,427 results
All reviews diamond room pier dinner blue hole mountain view jade samurai coral cafe entertainment staff jerk chicken ocho rios wraps the grill pizza place italian restaurant piano bar nature walk our honeymoon platinum restaurant
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We just returned from a stay at the Jewel from Jan. 9th to 16th, 2012. We were a group of eight..4 couples...with varying interests. The Jewel had enough to keep all of us entertained. I participated in the aqua-aerobics everyday...and they actually had brought in a guest instructor from the States who really worked us..which was great! It wasn't just playing in the water..and you needed that after the wonderful food that we ate!
A few others took part in the nature walk..and it was conducted by the head horticulturalist...he took them around the resort for 2 hours...there was so much to see. We also had one of the waterstaff take us on a hobie-cat ride to James Bond island...and all of the above activities were part of the all-inclusive experience!
We found all of the restaurants to be fabulous...the men especially enjoyed the Court Jester pizza restaurant...they frequented it every day....the service everywhere was outstanding!
Our room was in the Emerald Lanai part of the resort, and was probably in the lowest category of rooms..but we found it to be perfectly adequate. The only downside was the noise from the piano bar every evening. When I return..and I shall..I will probably pay the extra to upgrade to the Sapphire building.
The beach is immaculate...and the water is so clear. I wish that it was bigger..as I enjoy walking..but it is what it s. I love that you didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair in the shade on the beach!
But the most outstanding part of our trip were the employees of the Jewel..they make you feel like you are part of their family. They always engaged us...from the gardners, to the servers. to the entertainment staff. Whatever the Jewel is doing...they should keep on doing it! A special shout out to some great people that work there..Sasha and Shauna in entertainment...Servers Kevin and Oral...beach waiter Marlon...Shelly at the pizza restaurant...I could just go on and on...you made our trip amazing!

Room tip: I would pay for a room in the Sapphire or Diamond building..the Emerald Lanai is a little too close to the piano bar..where partying can go on late in the night..
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
9  Thank DebbieOttawaCanada
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Hi Debbie,
Thank you so much for staying with us and your kind words. The employees will be excited about being mentioned as they win and award if they get the most mentions for the month.
Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.
regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2012

We had originally planned on staying at the RIU but they were booked so we stayed at the jewel. We were very glad we stayed at the jewel. The service was great, the room was clean and our refrigerator was stocked daily. The weather was not the best but we enjoyed ourselves. We were able to go snorkeling and went with the facility that was at the jewel, and had a great time, Ashi went snorkeling with us and showed us things we never would have noticed without him. We are hoping to come back soon and would recommend to a friend.

Room tip: bring a sweater because it does get quite cool in the dining rooms
4  Thank WImacks

Dear guest,
We are very glad that they were full and you stayed with us. Now we look forward for your return.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

This was my sixth visit to an all inclusive, two times to Sandals in Bahamas, a visit to Breezes Bahamas, once to Iberostar Beach in Rose Hall Jamaica and once to Sandals in MoBay Jamaica.

Pros:
1. smaller hotel, about 250 rooms. Never really crowded or people on top of you.
2.bars were well stocked and bartenders were awesome. Special thanks to Cornell....I'm still laughing after talking with him! Never too long to get a drink. Brings some $1s and tip the hard working bartenders and they remember you and take care of you. Never felt pressured to tip but I felt that they deserved a lil extra and they appreciated it.
3. Food was very good. You only needed reservations for the hibachi, which we had no problem getting as opposed to other resorts where you need reservations every night. Platinum was awesome! I had the pumpkin soup....u have to try that and the streak and shrimp. The italian place was pretty good. Pizza and beach side grill were good.
4. Beach, somewhat small but very clean plenty of chairs. You do not need a towel card, so you could get more towels if needed.
5. Pool, 2 pools very big, clean and both6 have a swim up bar. 2 large hot tubs, temp was perfect.
6. They had pool side entertainment everyday with games. No pressure to play and it wasn't too loud so if you were on the beach or other pool u never heard them. Not obnixous like other resorts i've been too.
7. Night entertainment was pretty good, but the last night was the best. Sunday they had the steel drum band which totally rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They ended the show with a break dancing show, which was so cool
8. Very Safe--i never felt unsafe at all. There are security guards at both end of the beach and they kept a watchful eye on any of the locals if they were passing through on the beach. The locals will ask u if u want smoke, if you don't just so no thanks and they respond either "no problem" or "respect man". Just a few people a day passed by and only 1 or 2 asked me total but that is their culture. The securirty guards would walk beside each local to the other fence.
9. Service from the workers were the best i every experienced at any all inclusive i've been too
10. rooms were spacious and modern, very nice tile. we had a balcony overlooking the mountains

Cons:
1. at check in, we got there early 1130am and we knew check in was at 3pm but the person we were checking in with said that to eat lunch and come back after and hopefully we'll have a room ready. We came back at 1pm and they said a few more minutes. Came back at 2, again just a few more minutes. same at 230. Stopped back at 3, still wasnt ready until 315. Annoyed me a lil that reception was giving us false hope that we may get in early. If they just told us were't going to room till 3 then I would have stopped bothering them. Also, one of the times I checked back, I asked for a map of the property, to get our bearings and they said they don't have one but when i got my envelope with my keys, there was a map in it. Just a lil annoying.
2. Beach is small but they could remove the massage hut and a few of the sun huts to open some space. Once or twice it was a lil crowded and very close to other couples.
3. Utilize the golf course out front and build a new restaurant out there for more dining options.
4. Managers dinner---you sit with a group of 8 people, which could be a disaster but we ended up sitting with lovely people. The dinner portion was very, very small that we had to get pizzas afterwards

All in all a awesome hotel, just a few improvements that could be needed but well worth the trip and very comparable to Sandals without the cost. I would definitly go back.

Its about 10 minutes from dunns river falls and the dolphin encounter. You have to do the falls since u're so close. We paid $35 person including the entry fee and the bus. takes total of 2 hours.

7  Thank engine7

Dear guest,
thank you for staying with us as well as your feedback. Sorry about the check-in experience. It is not supposed to be like that at all and it will be addressed. Thanks for your feedback about the huts on the beach as well as the dinner.
We are so glad that you enjoyed everything else and so look forward to your return.
Regards

Reviewed 17 January 2012

My fiance and I, along with my friend and her husband, stayed at the Jewel the week of the 6th to the 13th of January. Overall, the experience was lovely!!!

The resort is much smaller than what I'm used to but this was definitely an advantage in many ways...
The beach is small yes, but this makes it possible for the AMAZING Chadwick and Marlon to get you your drinks to your beach chair in a short time. I've stayed at other 5 stars and I've never been served my drinks in my chair at either the pool or beach! Fantastic!! The cold towels in the afternoon and the spritz of rose water they spray you down with when you're hot... doesn't get better than that!

If you are travelling with other people the smaller scaled resort is ideal because it is practically impossible to loose your travelling companions! The resort is very well designed however and because of the spacing of the building, pools and landscaping its easy to find a more private area.

The rooms are really spacious and the decor is quite lovely with all the carved mahogany! The bathroom layout is fab because the shower/bath and toilet area are separate from the gorgeous vanity. I could do my makeup and hair without the humidity of my Fiance's shower.
The balcony is HUGE and we had an absolutely beautiful mountain view from our 2411 room.

Some of the staff go way above what I'd expect from a 5 star. Shout out to Duran who we ran into just after our arrival at the grill. Although he was "off duty" we chatted for over an hour and pummeled him with questions about Jamaican life to which he gladly answered and made us laugh more than once. Chadwick and Marlon were SUPER! Always singing and smiling and making sure you had a drink at all times! **I recommend bringing an insulated mug. The wait staff will bring it to the bar for you to get your drinks and your drinks stay real cold**
My fiance is a little more of a busy body and Shauna kept him busy with the beach volleyball and other activities. She is super friendly and helpful!
Jason was just downright hilarious! Great job at the Bling!

The property is absolutely lovely in most areas. The hot tub and decking near the piano bar need a little work but the rest of the property is lush and beautiful. The gym was way above what we expected. It blows away any other facility I've seen at a resort. A lot of very new equipment and the staff is very helpful.

The food.... most of the food was very good, better than my usual resort experience. Lunch buffet was a little repetitive but the Pizza, Jerk chicken wraps, and burgers were very good so we stuck with the grill and Pizza place.

A few things that were less fab.....
The bees are annoying, they swarm wherever there's sugar... keep your drink in an insulated cup to keep them our of your fruit drink. The piano bar and pool bar slush machines have bees around them. I never heard of them stinging anyone though.

We rented a cabana for my Birthday (breakfast package) and although it was a beautiful spot to park on the beach, the service without paying for the cabana was much better. My friends however did the whole day package and had the private dinner on the beach and said the service was unbelievable and it was so beautifully done up with flowers and candles... we almost crashed their romantic dinner.

A very nice resort! You won't be disappointed!

It was great to meet you Scott!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JOHN M, Hotel Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Good day,

Due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback.

Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us you your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product exceed your expectations.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

John M.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

My fiance and I decided we needed to get away from it all for her birthday this year. We had a budget of $2,600 and every resort in the world at our fingertips. After weeks of meticulous research, we selected the Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

In a word, WOW! This place was absolutely breathtaking from the minute we walked in. We had a late flight and arrived at the resort around midnight. The lobby was quiet, but we were still warmly welcomed and immediately each handed a "Jewel of the Day" (cocktails - exactly what we needed). I loved this place already. THEN we found out our room got upgraded. They told us that happens all the time in the slow season (September - November). Awesome.

The next day, our first order of business was to see the concierge, RICARDO, about reservations to the Jade Samurai. (Apparently it's just about the only Japanese restaurant on an all-inclusive resort in the whole Caribbean, and therefore one of the deciding factors in our selection of the Jewel.) RICARDO was fantastic. He set us up with those reservations no prob, and for the rest of the week he was an amazingly friendly, helpful, familiar host. We were celebrating both my fiance's birthday and the fourth anniversary of our engagement, so one night RICARDO hand delivered a beautiful dessert plate with two heart-shaped chocolate cakes and "Happy Anniversary" written in raspberry sauce. That was a really nice surprise.

The booze selection overall was impressive. I prefer Cointreau on the rocks, and I was incredibly skeptical that they would have it, since I frequently have trouble finding it at bars in Boston. Sure enough, I was sipping Cointreau all week. Couldn't have been happier. They truly have the top shelf stocked, pours are generous, and it's all included

The food overall was fantastic, much better than I expected from an all-inclusive resort. Indeed, the Jade Samurai was the best. It's a hibachi style atmosphere which gave us an opportunity to meet some of the other guests. In situations like that, things can either go hilariously or go down the awkward road pretty quickly. That all depends on the chef. Ours was BUBBA, and I cannot stress seriously enough that if you are going to the Jewel (and you're not a complete stick-in-the-mud), you MUST make reservations for the Jade Samurai through RICARDO, and you MUST request BUBBA. He's an absolute riot. Easily the greatest dinner experience available. I strongly recommend making multiple reservations to witness BUBBA in action.

The service overall was also of the highest imaginable quality. Every single person that works at Jewel struck me as being incredibly happy to be there serving us. We had read that the Jewell was originally a Sandals, but then it was bought by some local Jamaican businessmen who dumped $30 million into the facility. (Another major factor in our decision to stay at the Jewel - we'd much rather support local interests than multinational corporate ones.) I spoke to several of the staff about the transition, and my suspicions were confirmed. Working for the local Jamaican owners was a radically more enjoyable experience than working for the corporation, and it showed. The sense of family among the staff was really great to be around. The ultimate standouts in terms of supreme awesomeness (other than RICARDO and BUBBA) were bartenders like LASONYA and UTON, security guards like FRANCIS and WINSTON, groundskeepers like MAXWELL, guest services reps like FELICIA, and especially the bellmen, literally every single one of them. Those guys were the best.

The experience overall would have been incredible even if we hadn't left the resort, but there was one man that turned this trip from "an amazing vacation" to the "the most magically romantic and adventurous week of our lives". His name is COURTNEY "RUSTY" ROSE, a.k.a. THE MAYOR, and he's our new best friend for life. RUSTY took us off-site to see the real Jamaica. We visited local coffee and fruit plantations, including the Bob Marley Plantation & Foundation. He took us to local bars and restaurants. He introduced us to local artisans through which we were able to handle ALL of our holiday shopping. Our favorite excursion was definitely to the White River. We were taken via gondola-esque bamboo raft down this river into the Jamaican wilderness to a private swimming area. We didn't encounter a single other person the entire time. Talk about amazing.

And they certainly don't call RUSTY "THE MAYOR" for nothing. He really is known and loved by what seemed like every person in Jamaica. Every time we drove by a bunch of people sitting on a stoop and every time another mini-bus drove by us, it was like we were riding with the pope. Every time RUSTY walked us into an establishment, we were treated like royalty. Now I can't imagine traveling anywhere without a guy like RUSTY. He really made our whole trip, and, to top it off, a few days after we got back to Boston, he called me on my cell to make sure we made it home safely. What a guy.

If you're looking for an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica, stay at the Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa.

If you're adventurous enough to go off-site, book RUSTY as your guide. You can ask any of the bellmen or security guards for RUSTY. They all have him on speed dial. And make sure you tell him BOSTON GEORGE sent you!

Room tip: Plan your trip for the off-season (September, October, November) and you are incredibly likely to be upgraded to the next nicer room category (especially in the Saphire building).
Date of stay: November 2011
20  Thank George G
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us on your special vacation as well as your glowing review. Some of your information about the property is off a bit but as the property is owned by a Jamaican corporation as opposed to a singular millionaire and the management company is an American Hotel management company. All in all we are happy to hear that you loved the service and the staff as well as the property and of course Rusty. we look forward to your return.
regards,