Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mammee Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I are in our early thirties and have been to many 4 and 5 star resorts in Jamaica. This resort is by far the most beautiful. The beach is absolutely perfect (and I am picky). The pools are lovely, the food is very tasty (the pizzeria is phenomenal) and the staff are very friendly. We love the fact that there were no wrist bands or towel cards. I would absolutely recommend this resort.

We have only two complaints:

1. The basic room category boasts a view of a roof. Upon request, we were “upgraded” to the 5th floor which offered a beautiful view of the mountains, but also included loud whirring from the fans on the roof below (we look forward to the sounds of the night critters but they were completely drowned out). Also, the service elevator was close by and it really is loud! We had friends staying on another floor on the same side of the building (Saphire Premium) and they had the same complaint. I am sure that if we had asked we might have been relocated but unless you are moved to the front of the building (which is more costly), you cannot get away from the noise.

2. The nighttime entertainment begins far too late and is located in the disco. I have never seen this in any other resort that I have been to. We are by no means party animals but we love to listen to live reggae music after dinner and with the exception of two nights (beach party and bonfire party) all of the entertainment was held in the disco (which was set up theatre-style, rows of seats, no tables) and usually began around 11 pm! We tried to pass the time by sitting in the Tree Lounge but the only music played there is "elevator" instrumental. We heard several other guests commenting on what a disappointment this was and I urge the resort’s management team to bring in outdoor live entertainment, earlier in the evening. If this is an important factor to you and you have not yet booked your trip, I would suggest Breezes Runaway Bay where they host a live reggae band every single evening on an outdoor stage.

Overall this resort is wonderful. I only harp so much on the negatives because I know that the resort manager reviews these posts and I am hopeful that they will take these complaints into consideration. With the exception of the room noise and the lack of evening entertainment, this resort is Perfect and we would not hesitate to return.

7  Thank marleyandmags
rasbrat, Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Dear Guest,
thank you for your feedback. We are aware of these issues and are working dilligently to resolve them. Thanks again for caring.
regards,
Scott Robbins
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,888)

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I am finally getting around to writing a little review of my two week stay at JDR this past January.
We were greeted upon arrival by a concierge, and shortly thereafter by Scott Robbins, the manager. We were welcomed with a Jewel of the Day beverage, which added a pleasant touch after the bus ride in. Check in was a breeze - there was no wait, and we were almost immediately brought to our room with our luggage.

Brief and to the point, the management went out of their way in every way shape and form possible to ensure we were having the best possible time. We stayed in a suite overlooking the pool veranda. I would give the rooms 10/10. Be sure to take advantage of the room service! Lunch and champagne on the balcony was a daily occurrence for us. (when we weren't having cocktails and brick oven pizza brought to us on the beach!)

We were fortunate enough to spend New Years Eve with the staff at JRD, and their party left nothing to be desired. Amazing food and entertainment - I wouldn't have rather been anyplace else.

We loved the Tree bar, and the Piano bar especially, and all the restaurants were fantastic.Be sure to dine outside on the restaurant by the pier. And if at all possible I highly recommend the champagne dinner for two on the pier. We were fortunate enough to spoil ourselves during our stay. Our chef at the hibachi restaurant, Chris Rock, was quite the comedian.

The butler service for the suites was also a real treat. The butler would prepare reserved seating for you on the beach or by the pool, as well as make special preparations for you at your choice of restaurant. The turn down service was brilliant as well, and added to the romance factor.

We went on several excursions that we booked through the tour desk on site. This all went through very smoothly. We hiked the Dunn's River Falls, Swam in the Luminous Lagoon, and toured Ocho RIos and Fern Gully.

The couples massage was incredible, and left us feeling even more relaxed than we had ever thought to be possible.

Since having stayed there I have made countless recommendations to friends and colleagues for the Jewel Dunn's River.

I have to say hats off to Scott Robins and all the staff and team at JDR - You truly run an EXCEPTIONAL resort. You have clearly differentiated yourselves from all other resorts on the island. You are in a class of your own.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view suite! You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jadams01

Mr Adams!
Thank you finally for your reveiw. We were all wondering if you enjoyed yourself as we had not heard from you. I am so glad to hear that you did. Hopefully we will see you return someday and look forward to it.
All the best !
Scott Robbins
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I decided to spend this Thanksgiving (2011) outside of the USA for the first time. We chose the Jewel based on the many positive comments on Trip Advisor as well as the advice given to me by a travel agent. We are soooooo happy that we chose the Jewel because.....Indeed, it is a Jewel !!

TRAVEL FROM THE AIRPORT was comfortable but long. We were on a well-kept, modern bus. When you are in the airport, go to area 21 to check in to get on the bus. The trip from Montego Bay Airport to Ocho Rios was approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. The bus does stop once to allow riders to use the rest room, etc. for approximately 10 minutes. The driver also stops at approximately 3 different resorts to drop off travelers to their resorts. On the way back to Montego Bay Airport, the bus driver played the movie, "Cool Runnings". That kept my mind off the long journey.

THE GROUNDS are very manicured and they give off the essence of a tropical paradise. The pools are very nice and have bar seating in them. The hot tubs are a great touch as well as the golf course, the tennis court, the big chess pieces and the basketball court. And not to mention......The tropical breezes, graceful palm trees, sound of the waves, faint sounds of reggae rhythms and chirping black birds all played a part of the beautiful of resort.

THE BEACH has plenty of beach chairs and we never had to wait around for them. There are plenty of umbrellas and they even have canopy beds on the beach. There are activities that you can do on the beach as well. The beach area is not that large; however, it is just the right size for the resort. There is plenty of room for guests. There are some locals on the other side of the fence that will try selling you items if you get close enough but Security does their best to keep them away from guests. Overall, maybe 2 locals tried getting my attention but Security was always near. No problem, Mon!

THE ROOM we stayed in was in the Diamond building on the second floor. It was a nice sized room with attractive furniture. Although we did not have a view of the pool or grounds, it didn't matter because we spent a great majority of our time on the grounds and on excursions. The BED was very comfortable and roomy. The tub had jets in it and it was very deep, making for a great bath if you indulge in baths.

THE ACTIVITIES were well planned. They slide an acitivity sheet under your door everyday with a list of activities as well as the on-site restaurants that will be open for that day. And trust me......there is something to do on the resort at all times. Some of the activities that were happening when we were there (to name a few): Pool Volleyball, Dance-off at the pool side, Aquasize on the pool deck, tennis drills, reggae history at the pool side, reggae beach party, craft corner, ping pong competition, power up at the gym, cabaret showcase, latin/salsa lessons, and sing-a-long at the piano bar. And like I said.....that's just naming a few of the acitivites.

THE FOOD was awesome. There are casual places to eat if you just want to grab a burger and fries or pizza as well as elegant places to eat if you want great-tasting, upscale meals. I was able to eat in each of their eating establishments, except for Moonstone (Italian food) because of time. But I must say......breakfast, lunch and dinner was always very tasty and provided variety. I absolutely loved dinner at Platinum and the ambiance was beautiful. We also had a chance to eat on the pier at the Manager's cocktail party/dinner. That was soooo nice. Coral Cafe is the buffet where you can get breakfast or lunch. They always had a great choice of food. We ate there everyday.

THE STAFF is absolutely pleasant and works hard to keep you pleased. I have to say that I will miss their politeness and smiles. They made our stay, with a doubt, comfortable and very enjoyable. If you're on the grounds, there is always someone checking on you. So nice!

THE EXCURSIONS: Make sure that you go on the orientation. The orientation times will be listed on the acitivity sheet I menitioned earlier. During your orientation, you will be shown across the resort. One of the stops during the orientation will be the counter where you can book all of your outside excursions. The process is very easy and there are some great options for you. Unfortunately, we were only able to do two excursions......1. The Bob Marley Nine Mile Tour (not the Kingston tour) and 2. Shopping/Dunn's River. We absolutely loved the Bob Marley tour to Nine Mile! Climbing Dunn's River was also very nice. I'd love to do both excursions again.

So overall, we had a wonderful time and we're planning to come back next year because Jamaica will be celebrating 50 years of independence. And of course, we will be staying that The JEWEL Dunn's River Resort & Spa!

Room Tip: I think I want to stay in the garden style rooms next time. They have tropical views. If I don'...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
JOHN M, Hotel Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Good day,

Due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

John M.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

We were a little hesitant about visiting Jamaica because of security reasons but felt safe the entire time were were there, both inside and outside the resort! We were greeted with a cold drink and towel when we arrived, check in was fast and easy! We asked for an upgrade to our room but at the time, there was not one available but we were accomodated the 2nd day (NICE!!). Everyone was extremely nice and friendly, Richardo, Snoop, Whoopi to name a few! There are positives and drawbacks to a smaller resort - the positives were not crowded, staff could remember you, made friends with the other guests, service was great, didn't have to walk far to ANYTHING. Slight drawbacks were the beach was on the small side, the activities aren't as frequent, food was smaller scale. But overall, we can't say enough great things about the hotel and amenities!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Carol B, Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Good day, due to glitches in our computer system your comments were not seen or responded to previously. The team at The Jewel Dunn’s River wish to apologize for this and want to express our appreciation for your feedback. Please be assured that we have now corrected the computer glitch and thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate that you took the time to give us you your feedback as we continue to ensure our service delivery and product exceed your expectations. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

my husband and i went with my daughter and soninlaw on november 11-18 and let me tell you it was the best vacation we ever had.relaxing and having fun was our goal and with jewels thats what you get.the staff is so nice a hey out to floyd and cornel.the food was amazing,dinner on the pier was so outstanding.the entertainment was so plentyful that you never got bored.as for the drinks l still crave the dirty monkey.anyone know how to make them let me know.the rooms were kept very clean and the resort was beautiful.they had a anniversary cocktail party which was fun.l have no complaints at all.infact we are planning to go back next winter and brings some of our friends cause we know this is our vacation spot.why go somewhere else when you been to paradise cant get better than the jewels.thanyou to all the jewels staff.

Room Tip: we were in room 5227 no noise but didnt have a view of ocean but was good for us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mammee Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
8.6 km away
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Address: Mammee Bay, Jamaica
Region: Caribbean > Jamaica > Saint Ann Parish > Mammee Bay
Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mammee Bay
Price Range: €215 - €386 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton 4*
Introducing The Jewel Dunn’s River, a new Jamaican beach resort located mere moments from one of Jamaica’s top attractions – spectacular Dunn’s River Falls. The Caribbean’s most romantic, adults-only Jamaican resort is the perfect spot for couples, honeymooners and idyllic weddings. Plus, our all-inclusive resort features the unique ‘Jewel Only’ exclusives you can only discover here. Imagine watching a movie from the comfort of a pool raft and dining by candlelight on a pristine beach – that’s just the beginning. Now visualize your first breath in the morning being filled with fresh ocean air from your room’s private balcony. Picture yourself sipping handmade rum punch served by a pool concierge. Anything is possible at The Jewel. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel Ocho Rios