“Martins Delight”

Appetit Food for Thought
Ranked #8 of 48 Restaurants in Ladysmith
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Was doing some last minute banking and as it was close to lunchtime decided to, once again, check out Appetit on First Avenue, have visited a number of times before, but mostly for breakfast. What a treat, the owner/chef preps/cooks/presents and is obviously enthusiastic about food, all fresh ingredients and watching him is part of the treat that one has in visiting this small establishment. I had the Thai chicken with coconut cream sauce that was to die for, and my wife opted for an excellent Vietnamese style soup, which she couldn't finish, both reasonably priced and very well presented.The movie crews currently in town for a Jim Carrey movie are going to have a great gastronomic experience if they venture into this restaurant, and hopefully they can get a table, I would go before 1130 am in order to eat there without waiting, although it is worth the wait.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

We found Appetit by accident as we stopped off in Ladysmith for a break. I really recommend this place. Its worth taking a wee detour. There is a huge menu either for breakfast or a large lunch. I had the seafood chowder which was absolutely scrummy. My husband had the chicken curry which I tasted and it was also delicious. It is a small place and the owner prepares the dishes just behind the counter. I don't know how he produces such lovely tasty, fresh food. I note they are closed by 2:30 in the afternoon and not open on weekends. Great service as well.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Appetit is a one man show, with the owner cooking, greeting and serving. The shop only has 6 small tables and a few seats at the counter.

All food is prepared after you order it. How do I know? Because there is no wall between the eating area and the kitchen. It is fun to watch the ballet as the owner gathers his ingredients, pots and pans and then puts your meal together. Entertainment as part of the experience.

The food is excellent, with large portions. Interesting choices from the menu, with dishes you will not necessarily find in most restaurants.

We would go back again without question.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

Had to be in Ladysmith for a short time so decided to have lunch. Checked a few sites for reviews and this one had consistently good reviews so decided to give it a go. Found a parking spot right outside so bonus but Ladysmith is not huge, so parking anywhere in town would be fine. The restaurant is not large at all. There was one table left in the middle which we took. It looked like a lot of the customers were regulars as we heard the staff chatting with them and using names. The waiter came over and gave us info on the food and menu choices. Everything is written on boards posted on the walls. Lots of choices! He explained that everything comes with house home made ceasar salad or soup of the day. Hubby had the Thai chicken stir fry from the specials menu and I had the beef wonton soup. So the salad arrived and believe me, I am a ceasar salad snob. I make a great dressing myself and can be a bit "judgy" - hey at least I admit it ;-) I was not expecting a great dressing but on my word it was amazing. It is a lighter style dressing but just pops with flavour. Then came our main course and again, we were just wowed. Hubbys stirfry was flavourful, fresh and delicious. My soup was really good and to be honest, I am not even a huge soup fan so for me to even order soup and then to like it!! That tells you something. Everything is presented so nicely.
So while our meals were amazing, there is more. Another family arrived with two younger children. Both the waiter and the cook came over to chat with the family and the kids and assured the parents that they would adjust what ever they needed to make things kid friendly. I just loved watching this interaction. Such care for their customers! Oh and the prices are great.
Will I go back? Most certainly! Will I make a special trip into this cute little town just to have lunch? You betcha. Mind you I hear breakfast is amazing as well !

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise! We were the first ones in the door that morning and were greeted by the friendly owner who immediately struck up a conversation with my husband about sailboat racing. His energy and friendliness were infectious and we felt right at home. Breakfast was big and homemade with love...you’ll get salad and baked beans on the side. Just go with it! Will totally be back.