“Beautiful but maintenance seems to be declining”

Blueberry Lake Resort
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Friends and I stayed at the Blueberry Lake Resort for three nights in October 2017. This was our second weekend getaway there; the last one being three years ago. The cottages are a beautiful log design with cathedral ceilings and windows and patios that wrap around the cottage. They have a mix of single and queen-sized beds so we had comfortable sleeping arrangements. During our last visit I don't remember any issues, but this time we had a few:
-The bathrooms weren't stocked with enough toilet paper for our weekend. The staff happily supplied more when we asked, but I thought it odd that we'd have to ask for something so basic when they knew 7 women would be there for three days
-Firewood for the fireplace was the compressed sawdust logs, which we discovered are impossible to light without a fire starter. There was a small one-inch squared fire starter, which we used on our first night. The second night we were unable to start the fire even with tremendous effort on our part because of the lack of fire starter. We were told they were supplied in the new boxes of wood, but they weren't.
-It was a bit cool in the cottage. The air coming out the vents wasn't warm and we weren't successful adjusting it with the very complicated thermostat
-We arrived Thursday evening and on Saturday noticed water backing up into the basement (into the downstairs bathtub and through the walls onto the carpet). We complained and were moved but it was disruptive to our stay
-In the second cottage we moved to there were no screens on the ground floor windows so we could not open them for the night for fear of critters coming in. The patio door screen also was torn. I was happy it was fall and not spring, when mosquitoes and blackflies are abundant.
-Also at the second cottage, the seal on the propane bbq must have been broken because propane was leaking even though the valves were closed. We had one of the staff remove them.
-The hot tub at the second cottage was set so high (water was over 105 degrees F) that we had to throw cold water in it and wait to be able to use it.
-Staff were responsive, for sure, but my overall impression was that the resort is aging and the management is cutting back supplies and maintenance to save money.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Suzanne K

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Had an unpleasant stay with family and friends for 2 nights. Paid $850 / night, and stayed in a dirty and messy cottage.

Tried contacting the management via phone, I was advised to use email, so I emailed. Gave them a month to respond. They have not shown decency to even offer a fake apology. So I think it's just fair to share few examples of why we had an unpleasant stay:

1- The dishwasher was old and in a terrible shape. It barely washed any dishes and every plate or cup smelled terrible. We opted to use disposable utensils and plates the second day of our stay.

2- The furniture in the basement had a smell of urine. We had to cover the furniture to sit on them when we had to.

3- It was rainy the whole time we stayed there, so our activities were mostly limited to indoors. There was no WIFI. We did contact the reception and we were told it's being looked at and will be fixed. But it didn't get fixed. The Chalet had no cell reception either, so we couldn't even use our phone or cell internet.

4- The bedroom in the basement was built with no noise insulation. Every flush of the toilet, shower, and any water going through any sink made lot of noise in that bedroom (especially the toilet flush). This resulted in sleep deprivation for people sleeping in that room.

5- The bathroom in the basement did not have a mirror. Yes, it is kind of important to have a mirror in the bathroom.
The coffee machine was not working so I had to make coffee runs every morning.

6- The stay was definitely overpriced for the experience it offered and I really feel ripped off.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank salimtab
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Nice and big place. We had a good time me and my friends.. except for:
1. There was no water pressure in one of the shower bathroom.
2. In order to take the garbage in the proper designate place we had to walk about 200 meters across a busy traffic road.
3 .kathleen longpré the owner kept my 400$ deposit even though before leaving we left the place clean and in good condition. She claim a kayak broken paddle and paid for extra cleaning.. which she never show proof of that, By the way She cashed my deposit check before she notifying me of the problem.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lily Y
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Great locations close to the hill and all amenities.Would have really exceeded our wildest dreams if the buildings had been supplied by 1867 confederation log homes in Bobcaygeon Ontario..they are considered the best log homes in the world..!!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

I left a shirt there and I called when I got home and realized 2 hours after checking out. They said they would go look for it. I told them exactly where I had left it and asked them to call me back to let me know when they found it. After a few hours without a call back I called them but no answer so I left a message. Never got a call back. Next day I call them again finally spoke to someone who said someone from my party came to pick up a wallet and a shirt that was forgotten.Turns out it wasn't my shirt! Now it's probably lost for good. Very poor customer service. Not impressed. Giving it a 3 star cus the chalet was nice still.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends