1,351 results
All reviews main building dining room eastern townships beautiful setting fine dining lake massawippi meal plan wine list the pub the wait staff luxury room paddle boards get away out of this world worth every penny five star special occasion
Reviewed 17 September 2017

We stayed at the Manor for 4 nights with another couple. This is a stunning property. There are 50 rooms spread across the property. All are unique. It is not a cheap place to stay but if you want to feel fully pampered this is the place to do it. Service is amazing and the staff attentive to every detail. It has to be one of the few facilities where there is still turn down service. There is s restaurant on the property as well as a pub. We were on a meal plan so ate in the restaurant every night. My only issue with the menu is that while the food was delicious we were presented with the same menu each night so suffered a bit from menu fatigue. We did ask and the chef prepared a special meal for us one night and I had one of the best steaks that I have ever had. Unfortunately the pub was closed at night during our stay (we were off season) so that was not an option to give us a bit of change in food options. I would highly recommend this place.

Room tip: The tree top rooms are a real hike up a long flight of stairs. If you ask the hotel staff will take you up to your room on a golf cart.
Reviewed 13 September 2017

This is a lovely old estate, converted into a magnificent hotel. The rooms are spacious and each access a stunning view of Lake Massawippi.

We lucked into beautiful weather for our one night stay so really wanted to take advantage of the outdoors. Lots of private spaces, even outside, with hammocks and adirondack chairs abounding. A small beach is available with a fire pit ready to start.

The bathroom is beyond words..double sinks, massive jet tub, and separate shower with rain and hand held shower heads.

The bed was a little too firm for us, so we did not sleep well, sorry to say...but we forgave considering the otherwise very comfortable room.

Now...Le Hatley. This is a beautiful dining room, used for formal dinners and breakfast. The food was great...but while they said the hotel was full, the dining room was only half full. What does this say? Service impeccable...food very creative and beautiful as well as flavourful. (I had lichen with my beets..lichen...and it tasted amazing!) The chef is truly talented. But there was something just so "high end" about it all, that it came off as "stuffy" and stilted. We felt like we were at high tea at the palace, rather than eating a comfortable meal in a country inn. Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider opening those beautiful windows and letting some air in...or relax the menu a little to introduce a little "comfort" food. There are not many options without having to drive 30 min...so lightening up a little would make people feel so much more comfortable.

Otherwise thanks for a very relaxing and beautiful stay!

Room tip: Room 28 too close to the "pub".
Reviewed 13 September 2017

My husband and I stayed here for one night in August for our wedding anniversary. We spent a small fortune and don’t regret a single cent we spent.
Leave your cares in the car as you arrive in a bucolic setting that feels like you’ve stepped back into a more genteel time. Upon arrival, we were assigned a valet who not only took our luggage but also took us on a guided tour of the property. Wow!
The inn was built by an American Confederate from Atlanta who wanted to escape the summer heat of the South. He built a white plantation-style manse on the shore of Lake Massawippi. Some of the furniture in the library is original to the home’s construction. The private home was turned into a sprawling inn sometime in the 70s. There are rooms in the main house and cottages here and there on the property.
Our tiny, traditionally-furnished room faced the lake and though small, had every comfort we could desire. Our room, #1, had a semi-private furnished wood patio facing the lake that was shared with room #2. We never saw the guests from that room during our stay. We couldn’t get to the patio from our room and had to use the main back-door. However, room #2 did have direct access. Note to self, book room #2 next time.
My only negative comment is that some of the area rugs and an upholstered bench in our room were slightly stained. To make up for that, the pillows were pure heaven.
The vast grounds have a tennis court, English gardens, herb gardens and a teepee. Not sure what the teepee was for but it made for an unexpected discovery. The benches and floor are lined with animal pelts and logs are ready in the centre for a fire. Story-time maybe? I learned about globe basil (think, peppery basil) in one of the gardens. In another, I spotted the potted kale that was soon going to become a part of my dinner.
Speaking of food, the dinner and breakfast were out-of-this-world mouth-watering. For dinner, I had the bison (or was it buffalo) steak from a Quebec producer. The food is all about local Quebec cuisine. My fresh kale salad arrived in a pot and I was handed garden shears to trim the leaves. Now that’s what I call fresh produce!
The staff surprised us with a complimentary mini dessert of tarts and chocolate coulis to celebrate our milestone anniversary. Our package included a table d’hôte breakfast selection on top of the breakfast buffet! Gourmet all the way. The main restaurant is very formal. For less formal eating, try the Tap Room pub.
We spent the last minutes of our romantic getaway out on the lake. Complimentary bikes, kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards are available to overnight guests! Paddle boarding is a relaxing and fun lake escape and I suggest you try it.
We hope to one-day return. Day trippers are welcome too. FYI, we were here days before Bill and Hilary Clinton vacationed in the cottages and the staff was discretely hard at work pruning the garden and scrubbing the sides of the pool. Yet, their work was never intrusive. Manoir Hovey is a Relais & Chateaux establishment and discretion was paramount. We felt privileged to stay here.

Room tip: rooms # 1 and # 2 have either direct or indirect access to a shared private patio overlooking the gardens and lake.
Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Hovey Manor is a beautiful, old-world, French experience. The service was great, the food was exceptional, and the grounds overlooking the lake were beautiful. There were canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards to borrow, plus a tennis court and a nice heated pool. We took a side trip to the Abbey at Saint Benoit du Lac where the Benedictine monks make cheese, chocolate, cider, and condiments. Next time, we will go for more than one night and will take advantage of their spa. *****
Overall, an exceptional place.

Room tip: We stayed in a small room but to make up for the size, we had a wonderful private balcony looking out at the lake. We loved it!
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
Reviewed 8 September 2017

My husband and I had driven past the Manoir Hovey many years ago. It looked so beautiful--for years I mentioned that I wanted to visit. Flash forward to this September when 8 years later we finally arrived for a three day visit. And it was worth the wait... The setting was magnificent! I spent my days moving from the pool to the dock to the garden so that I could take in the many views of the lake. Honestly I couldn't get enough of it, it is a really really beautiful setting. The staff were all wonderful--warm and welcoming. And our room ( a lake view room with a fire place) was lovely. We typically stay at modern boutique hotels but this was a bit of old world elegance and a nice change from our normal hotel stays. Loved it. The food for breakfast was great--lots of choices. And dinners at both the main restaurant and the pub were delicious. Already planning our next trip--this should be a yearly event. The perfect place to unwind.

Room tip: Get a lake view room.