All reviews hosts bnb slippers breakfast bedroom ottawa
Reviewed 14 September 2017

The most unpleasant experience I have ever encountered in a bed & breakfast. I have done numerous B&B reviews with Trip Advisor, so I am not someone to post negatively unless warranted. Paul ended up literally throwing us out of the B&B, yelling at us to “get out”, called us garbage…it was scary to see the way he acted – he seemed out of control. I will explain now… I booked the room on Aug 13 & they put the charge through immediately. This surprised me because I have never been charged ahead of time at any establishment.
Our stay was Sept 10,11,12. I had an email conversation with Paul about the room in August – we wanted a separate ensuite bathroom, not a bathroom right in the room as some older B&Bs may have. He led me to believe it was what I was looking for. When we arrived, there was a very strong smell of cooking – like a restaurant it was so strong. Sunny took us to the room (2nd floor) & it was very hot, she turned on the ceiling fan which made a loud metallic rattling noise. The bathroom was basically in a closet with closet doors. That room would have been even hotter after a shower – the AC was not on & they had taken the handles off the windows, so they were inoperable, so no fresh air available. The closet for the room was outside in the hallway with a key.
We went back downstairs and told Sunny we were not happy. She went to get Paul who was dressed in a bathrobe. I reminded him about the email conversation….he shrugged, put his hands up & said it must be a language issue & he didn’t completely understand. I told him I was very upset about this but he just kept shrugging it off. The “host” made no attempt whatsoever to solve the issue. At this point, my husband told him he had poor customer service skills & that this was garbage. He yelled at my husband “You are garbage, get out! Get out!” He kept yelling and Sunny joined in, yelling the same thing. We were shaken up to say the least. I still cannot believe this happened.
He has our $500+ and we had to stay elsewhere. His policy is 50% refund if cancelled within 3 days and no refund if “no show”. We showed up, he threw us out. I don’t see a credit on our card, so he has not yet given us our money back.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carol B
Paul C, Owner at A La Villa Rivermead, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

We are very sorry; getting a rebate for when you were here was impossible. Screaming at customers would not be a very good practice and the B&B has been opened for 7 years and has only had 2 bad reviews, so I can imagine that if we would scream at customers that we would have had a lot more.
The smell of cooking in the house would be normal even if we are not a restaurant, we do have to cook.
We do have a very efficient AC, the best air exchanger on the market(air that comes from outside)and we have checked and could not hear the rattling sound of the ceiling fan.
The bathroom is an ensuite bathroom and has a very efficient fan, to keep the moisture and heat out of the room. Like we explained to you on the phone, the pictures of the room and the bathroom are on all our internet sites
We do not remember screaming with all the other customers in the house, but I did open the door for you the 3rd time you threatened to leave, and this was done not to inconvenience the other customers.
Here are the emails that you sent us before coming to our establishment

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Carol >‬ wrote:
Hi Paul:

I made a reservation last night and received confirmation.

Could you please let me know if the shower is in a separate room adjoined to the bedroom? We have noticed some rooms in other bed & breakfasts have the bath/shower actually in the same room as the bed which we do not want.

Carol

I'm not sure I understand, your room has a bathroom in it, but no one else can share it, it's within the bedroom. We can also rent you one that is with no bathroom, a shared bathroom in the hall. Let us know what you prefer. We will make the necessary changes.

Looking forward to meeting you

Paul & Sunny

Thank you - we definitely want a private bathroom but want a door to the bathroom that can be closed. Some older B&Bs have the actual shower or bathtub in the bedroom - no door or wall, so not a separate room - all one room with everything in it. Hopefully that is more clear...sorry about that! It is a bit hard to explain.

Carol

Hi Carol,
You do have a door for the bathroom, and it's very nice.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

We stayed at this B & B for one night for a quick stopover in Ottawa in August 2017. We had two rooms for our party of four: a double room and a room with two single beds. The B & B is in Gatineau on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River but it was straightforward to navigate to the property.

The bedrooms were fine, although neither had en suite facilities. We were asked to remove our shoes and wear slippers, which was unusual but not a problem for us. All the slippers were cleaned, we were assured. The bathroom was spacious with a jacuzzi but we couldn’t get it to work and there were no instructions. Nor was there a kettle in the room, although there were cups and saucers laid out. Again no instructions.

We ate out at a good family restaurant, Dinty’s, a few blocks away from the B & B, on the recommendation of our host.

Our hosts apparently run several B & Bs, and on this occasion in which they had a full house they seemed a little bit overstretched, with breakfast being prepared by only one person, so there was a little bit of a delay e.g. replenishing the cereal, but otherwise it was fine.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank stalbansroamer
Reviewed 28 August 2017

These people are on their way out of this business and it shows in maintenance and room readiness. For starters, instead of the B&B sign there is a "for sale" sign, which on this fast and busy road makes finding them more difficult; a mop and bucket were left in the front hall throughout our stay; we had to go hunting for TP because the owners were rarely around; not sure they are there overnight anymore. On the other hand the bed was comfortable. I hope they will enjoy their retirement.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank 8wellthen
Paul C, Owner at A La Villa Rivermead, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear Customer,
Yes we do have a sign for sale at the front of the property because we want to sell the bussiness. As far as the mop and bucket are concerned probably that when you came in we had just moped the floors and hadn't finished it completely. We are still living here and it's possible that if you did not knock loudly enough we did not ear you. We are very sorry that the sign and the bucket would be enough to merit a 2 star rating.

We do hope that you will come back when the bussiness is sold and that the for sale sign will be removed.

Yours

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Really nice house close to Ottawa and Gatineau attraction. Great room, comfortable, clean and quiet. The breakfast is the best one I have ever had in a B&B. The owner are really nice and make you feel comfortable. I will go back anytime.

Room tip: There are different room : one bed, two bed, with bathroom or share depending on your needs.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Chouine
Reviewed 14 November 2016

The room we stayed in was very clean and comfortable with a beautiful private bathroom. The breakfasts were delicious, very filling, and nicely presented. The hosts are extremely friendly and accommodating. The house is very tastefully finished with a very homey feel. Definitely recommend!

Date of stay: November 2016