All reviews pure enjoyment steak dinner wedding package ottawa area incomparable aylmer region
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Having grown up in Aylmer, the British has been a real pleasure to see transformed. They have a great atmosphere in the bar side and quite simple but nice on the dining room side. The food is.great and the service is wonderful. For everyone looking for a nice spot please check this quaint place and book a room if you so desire

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank joanne c
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Only went there once most of the people in our group enjoyed their meal but I wasn't impressed with mine. I don't know why someone would grill smoked meat it really should be steamed. That sandwich was so dry I wanted to dip it in my glass of water

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2018

A four day business trip to Ottawa allowed me to pick lodging of my choice. My wife is originally from the region and we had visited the British in Summer '17 and enjoyed the ambiance for dinner and drinks outside. I found the classy remodel much to my liking with a beautiful mix of stone, wood and the right amount of modern lighting. I booked a 3-night stay and was very pleased at the modern feel of my room...a deluxe king room named D'arcy McGee. The story that went along with the room (summarized on a plaque inside) was quite compelling and simply added to the appeal. I requested a room NOT over the bar area and my wish was confirmed via email. Very comfy king bed and streamlined modern decore made for a positive stay. Shower was great but it is fully exposed glass to the room so great for couples (perhaps not best for business partners or families)!! Dinners took me elsewhere earlier in the week but I saved my last night to enjoy a local meal in their cozy large bar room. Sampled a local ale on draft and had a delicious burger while watching some Olympics. I would easily come back here with my wife if/when that opportunity arises.

Room tip: Request a room to the West overlooking the Ottawa river and not over the bar area; especially true on weekends when they host live music.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank gstiel
Reviewed 30 January 2018

It has been beautifully refurbished. Very modern, Very Luxe. The band was fantastic. The room very nice. There was no table or extra seating in my room to have guests in. Somewhat uncomfortable to make people sit on your bed. Speaking of the bed,,,,,heaven. The food downstairs was average but beautifully presented. As a single woman, I really appreciated the small detail on the door to prevent someone from entering unannounced. Overall, a really nice surprise.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2018

This was a hotel in the 1800's that had seen better days. It has now been carefully restored to a much more modern style, while retaining a good sense of its history. The ground floor has a pub with an extensive selection of beer and a separate restaurant with music on the weekends. The 2nd and 3rd floors have several luxury hotel rooms. We rented 2 suites and were very impressed with their size, quality, and attention to detail.

I will certainly return when I'm in the area again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family