“It was a dark and stormy night ...”
Review of Riverside Inn

Riverside Inn
Reviewed 14 May 2017

I pulled into the Riverside Motel late one really awful night in late Oct. I was on a long drive and tired so I found this place. Unlike the other reviews, I hadn't prebooked through Expedia, or made any arrangements. I just came to the desk at about 10:30 or 11PM and asked to see a room. The owner was very accommodating. She gave me a key and I went and had a look. I immediately decided I would be happy to stay.
The room I had was on the ground level, down the end, near the river. If it was daytime I expect I would have had a fantastic view.
The room was quite large, and exceptionally clean. The bathroom was a 2part, with the toilet and tub in a small room, and the sink and large counter outside the bathroom. I like that because then if I'm making coffee the next morning, it's not right in the toilet, like so many places. But the best part was the bed. It was extremely comfortable, with good linens, and very nice pillows. Not those skinny, thin slabs of quilting that some places call a pillow.
It was very peaceful, quiet, zero traffic noise at all. A very very good experience for a budget motel. I feel I really lucked out, as some of the smaller, independent motels in Campbell River are on the seedy side.
This is a good place, very clean, fresh smelling. Large rooms, quiet and safe, and very good value.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

The view was nice of the river and we got to see salmon, huge salmon, jumping in the river with soaring eagles above. That was a highlight.

The bed was uncomfortable, the sheets were itchy and felt stiff with bleach.

The Inn keeper should take note to be inclusive to all, regardless of personal feelings on same sex couples. The disapproval was felt.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2016

We were in Campbell River on a road trip and after the hotel we wanted to stay at was booked we looked around and saw this hotel. It looks ok from the road so thought we would stop and have a look. That's where the good things end and I only give it a 1 because there isn't a way to give a 0. The owners seemed nice enough until we asked to have a look at a room. My daughter and I were travelling together so we needed a room with 2 beds so after the clerk finally agreed to let us see a room her husband grabbed his keys and walked off saying nothing but she said to go with him to see a room. He showed us a room with only 1 bed and grudgingly then took us to a room with 2 beds after I said again we needed 2 beds. So off we went to the second floor and saw another room. It looked reasonable for the price but I told him we wanted to have a look at another hotel and we would be back. He slammed the door and turned away, left us standing there and as he walked away he said "don't come back". As we started to leave I wasn't sure I had heard correctly so I asked him if he did not want us to come back and he said no do not return. So we left and found a much better hotel.
When we mentioned our experience to the second hotel clerk, she said had heard that this has happened quite a lot from the owners of Riverside. When in Campbell River, I suggest you avoid the Riverside Inn.

Room Tip: Don't go by looks alone and check reviews. If the hotel won't let you view the room before y...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Duane H
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

They wouldn't get my business if they begged! My dad and I were on our annual road trip and were looking for a place to spend our second night in Campbell River as the place we'd spent our first night was booked. We saw the pictures on Trip Advisor and they looked quaint and the price was right, so we went to have a look. Now, since I'm a bug-aphobe, we always check rooms really quickly before we decide to stay somewhere. This was apparently a HUGE inconvenience as the woman behind the desk (in very broken English) told us that the room was very nice and tried to book it, then made her husband show us the room after we asked twice. He first showed us a room with one bed (we had obviously asked for two) and was very put out when we asked to see a room with two beds. We had a look at the room which seemed clean-ish but we wanted to have a quick look at another hotel that was in a better area. We asked if we could come back and he said "no, don't come back" and walked away, leaving us on the second floor balcony. We then left and stopped at a motel that had a vacancy sign, and the girl working said we are the third customer this summer who has had this kind of experience, and that he has even told customers to "eff off" and get out of his hotel. Absolutely horrible service, they should be shut down.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate H
Reviewed 22 August 2016

This establishment is a motel, a current version of the historic Campbell River Lodge. The area surrounding it, Campbellon, has always been a nondescript area of Campbell River, and the roadside sign, "Riverside Inn", is the only way of knowing that this motel is the very same. The main building itself still has Campbell River Lodge signs on it, and the locals we spoke with all said that everyone knows this is still the Campbell River Lodge. The Campellton side of the motel fits in with its industrial surroundings, and you don't expect much.

However, we discovered another side of this motel: the side directly adjacent to the River. It is truly a fine location, with a large swath of grass right up to the low retaining wall, where you can sit and enjoy the Campbell River.

Our room, unit 21, was clean, smell-free, had WiFi and a small fridge. The double bed was comfortable. Best of all, the motel was very quiet and any traffic noise was distant. Part of the reason for the quiet was, we heard, that the hardworking owner/managers run a very tight ship and don't tolerate any disturbances, rowdyism or inappropriate behavior. The sign at the entrance of the pub/restaurant, Fusilli, warned of 24-hour surveillance which would be used in any prosecution of a crime committed on the premises. Be fairly warned.

Bottom line: don't let the plain facade dissuade you. If you want a basic, clean, quiet room, a nice chair beside the River, and a decent restaurant, then you might want to consider the Riverside Inn.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay up front, at check-in, for your stay. Choose a river view room.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple