All reviewsfree roundfree mini golfmini golf next doorbumper boatsfree gameparadise fun parksleeper roomlate arrivalcrazy golfpicnic tablesstayed here for one nightbbq areagrassy areanice clean roomswould definitely stay here againcomplimentary breakfastbed was comfortable
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This hotel is small but clean enough. In the small double bed rooms there is no amenities, just a coffee maker. So bring your cooler and microwave and hairdryer. No tubs just shower stalls also. The continental breakfast is very basic. couple of cereals. toast and muffins. 2 fruit, apples and bananas. I never got my free pass to the mini golf nextdoor. If you smoke you go to the garbage cans in the parking lot and stand (no seating or cover). If you stay for an over night trip it would be fine, but for vacation, get a bigger room with a fridge and microwave and space! Of course that will cost a lot more.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Clean rooms, close to the beach and free mini golf. Basic amenities include shampoo, conditioner and a bar of soap. Coffee is available in the room, as well.

This is a wood frame building, not your standard concrete structure, so if you have a room on the main floor, be prepared for the heavy footfalls of the occupants above.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

My teenagers and I spent a night here on our way to and from Tofino. For the price you get a breakfast and free round of mini golf which makes it a great deal. Walking distance to the beach, downtown and the round of golf gave the teenagers the right amount of activity for the evening. Beds are a bit soft so more nights would be tough for my middle aged back but for a night over this place is a gem.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2017

The facility is an older motel that was in decent condition and clean, no real complaints about the facility and the pricing was likely on par with what was offered for the area.

We had multiple interactions with the couple who manage the property during our stay and the female on her own was fairly pleasant to deal, with while the male generally made you feel like you were an inconvenience to his day. The two interactions I had with both of them I found the male unprofessional and his attitude made the interactions very awkward.

The young lady who checked us out at the end of our stay was a pleasure to deal with and was the only saving grace with staff interaction during our stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Anyone who travels extensively knows they should do some due diligence ahead of time in picking places to stay, and the same was true for us in preparing for our recent 6-day, 5-night loop trip from western Washington on up the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. The trip was to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary so we wanted everything to be as nice as possible, including places either on or close to the water and with ocean/water views and a nearby beach to walk on and perhaps collect shells or agates.

But alas, all of us at some time or another have been burned by advertising and promotional copy that says one thing, but is actually misleading, or embellished, or just not true. Such was the case of the Paradise Sea Shell Motel. This is an older two-story very standard motel with modest rooms located right next to the busy north-south highway, which means you get traffic noise, especially those peeling out from the stoplight right in front of the motel.

Our last night was going to be in either Parksville or Qualicum Beach and we spent a good deal of time looking at various lodgings. Several of the places we looked at were already booked so we finally settled on the Paradise, based on the description of the place and promotional copy we had from a 2017 Parksville/Qualicum Beach 72-page tourist catalog. BUT: Our mistake was NOT checking with Trip Advisor reviews before making the booking through a third party booking site. A photo in this site showed a view from what looked like a deck across to RVs and then the water in the background, so we knew we were close. And then there were photos of the mini-amusement park on the grounds; two 18-hole miniature golf courses and bumper boats. Another photo was under the heading of "Pool and beach" , with just one photo showing the water, but not the pool -- and that is because as it turned out there is no pool.

The catalog copy said in part, "Affordable acomodations right beside Parksville's safe, sandy beach and adjacent to Paradise Fun Park", and so on. Note the words "right beside Parksville’s safe, sandy beach". Not sure exactly what "right beside" means but it seems to connote that the beach is very close, as in right next door. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it? But this is just not the truth. They used the words "safe and sandy". But in reality, the beach that you walk to from your room goes across a portion of the parking lot, then south behind the mini golf setup, past the south end of the RV park, and then down a dirt path to the water., a distance of about 100 yards or so. And what we did find there is not "safe and sandy", The words starting with the letter s that best describe it are"slimy and scummy". it is a"beach" if you can even call it that, filled shoulder to shoulder with rocks and boulders, with pockets of green goo here and there. And by rocks I don't mean just gravel or pebbles -- I mean rocks. It would be difficult to even walk on it without the possibility of twisting your ankle, and was so uninviting we didn't bother to even step out onto it, just gazed in disbelief at it. Well, so much for "safe and sandy".

Our room on the upper floor was modest with two queen beds which were OK, and the room came with most of the usual trappings, except we noticed there was no ice bucket like we normally find -- no ice bucket at all. And no hair dryer. The whole room was "decorated" in basic boring blah beige, all the walls and ceiling the same monochromatic color. A trip to the office got us a hair dryer, which when tried, didn't work. I returned it, and to be fair, the manager replaced it with another which did work. And the ice machine was very low on ice, so much so that I had to scoop up individual pieces at the very bottom of the machine with the small ice container.. There was barely enough to fill the very small ice container they had next to the machine. When I returned the broken hair dryer, I had the audicity to voice my displeasure about the lack of amenities, no hair dryer in the room, an ice machine that was either broken or was not working properly, the misleading promotional copy, etc. At that point the manager became upset, saying that I had accepted the room there when I had the chance to leave if I was so unhappy, and in a direct quote, said, "what do you expect for just $131 a night? This is Parksville!". Well, OK then. I guess you shouldnt' expect much for "just" $131!s

Breakfast is basically continental average, with the usual toast, bagels, cold cereal, etc, but they did include croissants and hard boiled eggs, which was a plus. You either eat it in a small room next to the office or in chairs outside on the walkway.

The bottom line is that if you are a family traveling with say, one or two smaller children, perhaps maybe 5 or 6 on up to sub-teens or so, and need a simple place that is convenient to this attraction of bumper boats and mini-golf, then it would be acceptable for a family on a budget. But if you are willing and able to upgrade to a place with some modicum of class, panache or style, then do it -- because this place is kind of like the color in the rooms -- its so beige. Not really bad enough for just two stars, mind you, (although that did cross my mind because of the misrepresentation about the "safe and sandy" beach) , the motel is just very ordinary and kind of blah.

The manager may respond to this review which is certainly her right to do so, and it is true that there are two sides to each story, and I understand that. But that rocky, green goo scummy beach is what it is and you can call it anything you want, but it doesn 't change the facts, or the photos of it.

Room Tip: Best rooms are someplace else. Otherwise, get a room as far away from the noise of the highway as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple