“I liked it, but . . .”
Review of Mercato

Mercato
Ranked #392 of 586 Restaurants in Kitchener
Reviewed 8 July 2016

The interior is bright, uncluttered and nice and cool on a hot day. There are lots of flat screens to watch sports, mainly soccer. The menu is extensive and very, very reasonable. My veal parm with potatoes and pasta was really very good, as was the pizza.

Then I asked for a margarita . . . Well, they have a fully and I mean fully stocked bar, but the server/bartender, insanely hot, skin tight low cut shocking pink minidress and high heels, looked at me in shock. She was Canadian, and a bartender and had never heard of a margarita before. Her answer "Sorry, we don't make any mixed drinks" What? You have a huge bar right there??? So get this, I repeated "So you don't make mixed drinks?" She repeated "No, sorry". I said, "can I get a Vodka/Cranberry" She said "Sure!" What the heccccck is up with that?

They have a great patio, good prices, good, cheap food, miss universe as a server/bartender but they have no CLUE about bartending.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

We have been twice. Your food options will change depending on who is in the kitchen. We ordered the same thing both times and each time they were different with different ingredients. Both times, lunch took over an hour (with barely anyone there) and there is no consistent wine list or service. As someone who loves food, unpretentious service and worked in the industry for +10 years, I think these folks know little to nothing about running a dining establishment.

Reviewed 12 June 2016

Stumbled upon it and was pleasantly surprised. Friendly and prompt service. I had a panini and it was ok. Great place downtown with lots of tv's to catch a game with friends. Lots of sun on the patio!

Reviewed 26 May 2016

Nice concept, especially in the summer for the students and other youthful clientele, this place is brand spanking new. The bar is great, but the food is poor cafeteria style, almost inedible, unless sitting outside in the summer sun.

The positives are that the service tries hard, the veranda is flowery and the music hot. The bar, well, is well stocked. But come winter, the inside is simply a cafeteria style place with self serve or take out counters.

Prices are good though. And they have a 15% discount for the 'food'.

I wish them luck in chinatown.