Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$98
Hotels.comUS$98
Expedia.comUS$98
eDreamsUS$98
FindHotelUS$98
StayForLongUS$122
All reviews front desk spacious room pool area yogurt mini fridge short drive cleanliness penetanguishene ontario
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 August 2020

I was in Midland on business on Aug 06, 2020 and decided to spend the night for a follow up meeting the following morning. I did not have a reservation. I looked for hotels on Expedia and found a decent hotel called Super 8 by Wyndham that had availability. I drove to the hotel. It was 3:30 pm. I walked in and asked the young agent at the counter if they had availability for the night. Without batting an eyelid she said "no, we are fully booked". I said "thank you" and walked out. I got in my car and booked a room on Expedia. I went back in and asked her if she can see my reservation through Expedia. She said it will take 15 minutes or so. I asked her how Expedia had rooms while she did not. She said she had no idea how these things worked.

I went back to my car and walked back in at 4:00 pm. There were two other people in the line up then. The lady in front of me in the line up was Caucasian with a child and she walked up to the reception (now there were two agents at the reception) and said she did not have a booking, but wondered if a room was available. She was offered a room without any hesitation. I checked into the hotel and asked the agent who had told me they were fully booked how come there is a room available now. The young agent said "she had a reservation". I said "no, I heard the entire conversation". Then the agent who checked in the lady in the line in front of me heard the question and came over. She said "I will investigate". The hotel phone rang at the same time and that agent took the call. Now I am back with the agent who had checked me in. She said "we are backed up with house keeping and there were no rooms available when you came in". I do not believe that because she did not check the system when I walked in. There is CCTV footage of the interaction at the times listed above which I hope Wyndham HQ will review and see how the interaction went. If there are no rooms, but there are room to be cleaned, the normal response would have been "we are still busy cleaning rooms and can offer you a room in 20 minutes or half an hour". Normally they would offer a complimentary drink while the customer waited. I have been traveling the world for 30+ years and have never experienced anything this humiliating ever before, and that too in my own country!

The other agent realized that they had messed up and offered me an upgrade which I am grateful for, but that does not change the fact that I was clearly discriminated against because of my color. It made me feel inferior and like an out cast. There is no place for this treatment in a country as multi-cultural as Canada. Almost two hours later when I walked by the reception, they were still accepting people who had no reservations.

I have formally filed a complaint with the Wyndham group and Human Rights Tribunal in Ontario and am waiting to hear back.

I must add that the room had a facial remover on the floor behind the trash can under the sink. The cleaning staff obviously did not do a very good job.

Please avoid this hotel if you are a person of color. I don't know if this is systemic or just in Midland.

Room tip: Rooms are good, but your luck lies in not having a family with kids right above you!!!
Date of stay: August 2020
Reviewed 9 February 2020

We had a wonderful experience at the super 8 with our hockey team. Yvonne ar the front desk was so helpful and accomodating to not only the kids but also the parents. It was so handy to have the breakfast available as the kids had an early morning hockey game

Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed 20 January 2020

WHen I am on business travel I am just looking for a convienient place to stay that is inexpensive and clean and in good shape. This Super 8 fits the bill perfectly. My scores are based on the fact that this was around $100 per night. If I was expecting 5 star then my scores would be lower, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed 19 January 2020

Great service, staff friendly and well informed, rooms clean and neat, breakfast very good. not sure what else you want me to say to get up to the 200 characters for your review. So, here's a suggestion - take the 200 character minimum off the review or make the review optional.

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2019

My stay was extended by two days. The staff and owners are treating this place like it was your home. They told me that they will be upgrading the wifi and pool area and are looking fir feedback on how they can make our experience more enjoyable. We had a great time.

Date of stay: December 2019