“Delicious Surprise outside of Owen Sound worth the drive”

Kettles Back Home Cookin'
Ranked #3 of 78 Restaurants in Owen Sound
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Small, family owned business. Back-home style cooking. Featuring fresh baking, homemade soup and burgers, famous fish and chips. Eat, Take Out, or Patio Service. Open Daily.
Reviewed 23 November 2020

Excellent food, staff and safety measures during COVID. I had the fish and chips and my husband had one of their specialty burgers. The coleslaw was delicious and home made, fish was crunchy and hot and perfectly cooked on the inside. The burger disappeared quickly too :) Buns were home made! Hard to find that level of goodness these days. We took two slices of pie home with us and were not disappointed. Judging by the number of types of pie they offer we're not the only ones to do this. They sell whole pies as well. I'll do that next time for sure.

Date of visit: November 2020
Write a reviewReviews (374)

Reviewed 25 October 2020

If you like good home-cooked meals, you'll like Kettles restaurant. I like the fish meal, but burgers, and other meals are also great. Lots of pie and desert choices. It does get really busy, so I usually meet up with friends outside meal times: 11 am or 1-2 pm. Also wheelchair accessible, which makes it great for families who need accommodation.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 14 October 2020 via mobile

My wife and I visited Kettles after camping in Owen Sound for the weekend. We arrived around 11 am on a Tuesday. It wasn't very busy but got busier near noon. We ordered a reuben sandwich, a club sandwich, and fries to share. The reuben was really good! The club sandwich was pretty good but not on the level of the reuben. We didn't specify a large or small fries and were pretty sure we had been given a large order until we checked the bill. We noticed other customers getting generous quantities of food as well. We were able to est inside. All the tables were separated by plexiglas partitions.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 2 September 2020 via mobile

Delighted to visit Kettles again on our annual trip to Meaford. We ALWAYS head here our first night. With COVID restrictions being adhered to, including greatly reduced seating, we were surprised to easily get a table indoors at 6:30 on a Tuesday night. I had delicious baked potatoe and bacon soup and a chicken club wrap. My husband had tender liver, onions and bacon with their homemade bean salad to start. We shared an awesome bread pudding which is definitely big enough for two. Very generous portions, reasonable prices, friendly service. So glad they have found a way to carry on during the pandemic.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 1 September 2020

Quite a number of restaurants in Owen Sound are either closed temporary or permanently. However, this one is still open.

It is located around 10 km south of Owen Sound.

Sitting is on the covered patio around the restaurant, totally about 10 tables. There are additional picnic tables with umbrellas in the car park for takeout. There is no sitting inside.

The food is reasonable priced and big portion, crowded on the dish. Chicken was tender and juicy, sweet potato fries were very good. My wife liked the bean salad. Food was good. It is also famous for its home made cakes. Service was generally good.

Flies were many and landed on the table and food. There were flies hovering over the tables even before food arrived. I think the tables were not cleaned thoroughly between different guests.

Date of visit: August 2020