US$116
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$141/night.

US$98
US$77
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$96/night.

US$144
US$137
Homewood
US$137
  • Pool
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$164/night.

US$209
US$142
US$120
US$117
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$133/night.

HB Guest Home 4(Waterloo)
US$111
HB Guest Home(Waterloo)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$85
US$154
US$128
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 July 2016

I stayed in Bean's Retreat which was perfect. Huge room, comfy bed, vintage furnishings and all the comforts I needed including a comfy robe. I knew the area well so had very few questions and came and went as I pleased, without ever feeling I was intruding. Wendy and Stefan are excellent hosts and catered to my low-carb breakfast requests with very tasty meals - I never felt deprived! As I told them, I hope it takes a while for their business to sell so I can come again. I loved this place!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Brenda M
HillcrestHouse1882, Owner at Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2016

It was a pleasure having the family here and thanks so much for the kind review.
Wendy and Stef

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Hillcrest House is everything you want, you can walk to all the activities in Uptown Waterloo, your room is large and comfortably furnished the bed is beautifully done with nice linens. Breakfast cooked to order was delicious and Stef and Wendy are fun and welcoming - you will not want to leave!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Thanks very much, it was great having you in our home!
Wendy and Stef

Reviewed 4 January 2015

Huge example of under promise and over deliver :). Wendy and Stef were incredible hosts. I loved the relaxed and fun atmosphere. So relaxed, I felt at home with family.
We felt so welcome. Beautiful yard, Beautiful home. Great people.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MiriamDunne
Reviewed 21 September 2014 via mobile

Thank you soooo much ,Stefan and Wendy,while staying with you 2,we weren't guests ,but ,,,more family or Friends that we have known for a long time, but what is more inviting (if that is possible )is the house,it just wraps around you like a warm blanket on a chilly night . It felt like home,(as it should be) thank you again, hugs Andy&Carla

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'm not sure what I enjoyed most. The lovely old-suburban street, the closeness to the heart of downtown, the beautiful yard and landscaping that makes you feel like you're in a forest clearing, the old 1880s mansion and antiques, the huge bedroom, the unbelievable breakfasts by a cooking professional, or the professional massage by Stefan, the co-owner. Talk about perks of a place!

In my e-book, Food for City Building, I argue that local tourism and local food go together and the two groups should work together to enhance each other's offerings. This B&B has all the makings to make this work.
One owner is a formally-trained pastry chef and the other self-taught to a high degree. They also teach a course at community college on the business of B&Bs.
Steffan made the point to me that a B&B owner needs a second job, preferably using the building, to keep the owner and the investment in the building busy during the downtime between the end of serving breakfast and the return of guests after a day's meetings or travels. A second job also covers the off-season, such as December, which is always slow. Not a problem for Stefan, who preserves food and serves small family dinners and teas during the daily downtimes and the seasonal slows, thereby getting full value from the professional kitchen.
Anyone interested in running a B&B should take his course, and even try reading my book!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business