“Incredible”

Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterloo
Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Waterloo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2015

Huge example of under promise and over deliver :). Wendy and Stef were incredible hosts. I loved the relaxed and fun atmosphere. So relaxed, I felt at home with family.
We felt so welcome. Beautiful yard, Beautiful home. Great people.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MiriamDunne

Reviewed 21 September 2014 via mobile

Thank you soooo much ,Stefan and Wendy,while staying with you 2,we weren't guests ,but ,,,more family or Friends that we have known for a long time, but what is more inviting (if that is possible )is the house,it just wraps around you like a warm blanket on a chilly night . It felt like home,(as it should be) thank you again, hugs Andy&Carla

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'm not sure what I enjoyed most. The lovely old-suburban street, the closeness to the heart of downtown, the beautiful yard and landscaping that makes you feel like you're in a forest clearing, the old 1880s mansion and antiques, the huge bedroom, the unbelievable breakfasts by a cooking professional, or the professional massage by Stefan, the co-owner. Talk about perks of a place!

In my e-book, Food for City Building, I argue that local tourism and local food go together and the two groups should work together to enhance each other's offerings. This B&B has all the makings to make this work.
One owner is a formally-trained pastry chef and the other self-taught to a high degree. They also teach a course at community college on the business of B&Bs.
Steffan made the point to me that a B&B owner needs a second job, preferably using the building, to keep the owner and the investment in the building busy during the downtime between the end of serving breakfast and the return of guests after a day's meetings or travels. A second job also covers the off-season, such as December, which is always slow. Not a problem for Stefan, who preserves food and serves small family dinners and teas during the daily downtimes and the seasonal slows, thereby getting full value from the professional kitchen.
Anyone interested in running a B&B should take his course, and even try reading my book!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank wayne300944
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hillcrest House is "the" quintessential B&B. From your first step on to the property, you feel like you're entering another era, especially first seeing the open, grand entrance hallway with the Victorian-styled rooms leading off of it. Tastefully decorated, yet suited practically to accommodate guests comfortably, this beauty is worth another visit.

My husband and I spent 3 nights here. The Bellinger Suite feels like a home-away-from-home. Stefan and Wendy are down-to-earth and practical, and extremely accommodating. We changed our plans closer to our arrival date, and they subsequently changed their plans to accommodate us.

The breakfast was delicious, even with our dietary limitations.

We hope to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kirst7575
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed two nights at beginning of September with my daughter who was moving into residence at St. Jerome's (U. of Waterloo), then one night on my own.
We had a large suite with separate sitting room and our own bathroom as well as queen bedroom. Entirely private. The house is a turn-of-the century gem, beautifully appointed with lush gardens featuring several seating areas. The breakfast room, like the house, is spacious and lovely. The multicourse breakfast I enjoyed stayed with me all day! Stefan and Wendy are thoughtful hosts, responsive to guest preferences and needs, just really pleasant folk to start your day with.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterloo
0.9 km away
Les Diplomates B&B
#1 of 6 in Waterloo
2.9 km away
Queens Landing Guest House B&B

Been to Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!