“So much noise from stairs and upstairs I couldn't sleep”

Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed 8 October 2017

I absolutely hate writing one star reviews. However, I think it is warranted in this case. If you want a place to sleep, this might not be the place for you. The rooms upstairs have no cushion/insulation so you hear every step above. Even worse, if your room is up against the wooden staircase you will hear feet pounding right against your headboard ALL NIGHT as people go up and down the stairs. I am not picky at all when it comes to hotels. I don't need a TV, or fluffy bed, or fancy breakfast. All I need is a decently quiet place to sleep at night, nothing more. I did not receive this during my stay. The first night, I tried to sleep after a long day of hiking, but I kept hearing a very loud pounding noise from what I thought was above. This went on all night. I'm talking it was so loud even my earphones on blast couldn't drown it out. Eventually I called to ask for another room, because of the noise, but I was told the place was booked. I eventually fell asleep for a few hours, and was up early to hike again. That night I came back super tired and the noise started again. I asked the front desk again if I could move because of the noise above, and he told me it was because I was up against the stair case, but he didn't have another room. I was so upset, why would they put a room up against a wooden loud staircase? I'm not sure why the hotel has missed such an important aspect. I have no other complaints about the hotel. It was clean, well maintained, but if I can't sleep, whats the point of a hotel? I could have camped outside and had better sleep. I ended up sleeping in my car for part of the time because I desperately needed some sleep. All the hotel needs to do is put some simple low cost padding in the rooms above, and either get rid of the staircase, or remove the room that is right against it. I would have paid more for a room away from the staircase if I knew I was going to be placed there. If they want to rent that room out, they need to clarify that it is against a staircase. I was so tired from lack of sleep it almost ruined my whole vacation. Again, the hotel would have been a five star if someone at the front desk had helped me switch rooms at least, but honestly the room should have never been rented out like that. I love the town of Canmore, and I suggest staying here if your going to Banff. However, unless they can fix the noise issue, I cannot recommend this place (unless your guaranteed a second floor room away from the stairs).

Room Tip: Ask for a second story room AWAY from the staircase
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 October 2017

There wasn't anything too extraordinary with this place, but we were off to a bad start when we had a mediocre check-in experience. Our judgment may have been clouded based on that. I did really like the in-room gas fireplace that was so effective that my boyfriend had to escape outside on the balcony (also nice) until the room cooled back down to a reasonable level.

Room Tip: Turn the fireplace off after only a few minutes!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Rose C, Director of Sales at Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay.

Our apologies for your check in experience. Usually our staff are very friendly and accommodating during check in, so I am not sure what had occurred.
We are glad that you enjoyed your room with the fireplace and balcony

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Great welcome with complimentary wine reception each afternoon, log cabin feel in the loby, nice enough bedroom, good breakfast. Nice view of the mountains. Fast access to most services in Camore, even walking distance to walking path along the river. I loved the city and believe this is a perfect hotel to enjoy it.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geebe
Rose C, Director of Sales at Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to enjoy our town as well as our hotel. We are glad that you had the opportunity to join us in our lobby for our complimentary wine reception, and that you enjoyed your room and stay with us. We hope you come back for another visit.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay. Breakfast was included and has a good variety. Walking distance to a few restaurants and a short drive to the downtown core. Complimentary wine tasting in the evenings...make sure you check in early enough to take advantage.

Room Tip: good mountain views are on the front of the building
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Your comments on your recent stay are appreciated, Thank you.

We are glad that you found our staff friendly and helpful, we are also pleased you were able to join us for our Complimentary breakfast and evening wine reception.
We agree the hotel is in a great location to restaurants and downtown shopping. We hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

We stayed here for a couple of nights as a cheaper alternative to Banff and its was really nice. The hotel is right in the middle of the town and has everything you need.
Ok so it isn't top of the range and could do with some TLC but it's clean, well priced and the breakfast is pretty good.
We had a nice room facing the mountains at the front of the hotel, the beds we're comfortable and it was cleaned both nights we stayed. There's plenty of parking and plenty to do in terms of eating and drinking in the town itself all within walking distance.
The staff we're lovely and there's free wine and nibbles everyday between 5 and 6 which we found to be a really nice touch.
If we ever go back this way we'll be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your comments on your stay with us.
We are glad that you found the hotel clean and comfortable and enjoyed all the amenities, including our wine reception. Yes that hotel is in a great location to dining and shopping, all in walking distance.
Thank you for your recommendation of you returning for another stay with us.