“High quality sushi and sashimi etc”

Kiriri Japanese Cuisine & Sushi Bar
Ranked #120 of 996 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 July 2016

Authentic and tasteful. This is not a "fushioned" Japanese restaurant catering to west coast taste. Much of the food is genuine and well prepared, the specials are usually very good and worth the price you pay. There are some unique items (appetizers) and plenty basics (noodles, tempura, etc.) but the nigiri sushi is their star. Located in a strip mall that has one other very busy Chinese restaurant,there's very little parking you're better off looking for a space on the street.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

I was debating whether or not to write this review but I have shared it with a few people and they all encouraged me to let the public knows. Kiriri is one of my favorite Japanese Restaurants. I have told many of my friends to try them and their foods usually are great. However, last week two of us went there for a small celebration. We ordered a nice bottle of Sake, their assorted Sushi Set, the Rainbow Tower and some premium sashimi. The chef, who I have met for over 30 times, did not even put a smile on his face when we had eye contacts, which I was not surprised because he seldom does. We were happy with our meal until I put the piece of Uni Sushi in my mouth. I almost wanted to scream because it tasted like "sh.t". It was too late when I realized that and I had to forced myself to swallow it down into my throat. I had to suck sake and other foods in my mouth in order to stop the stinky horrible taste. Honestly, it was just horrible. I then very quietly told the waitress that the Uni has gone bad. I told her I am not asking for any compensation but I just wanted to let them know in case they are serving them to other customers. She did not come back to explain why. The chef came out of the kitchen, sat back facing us and spoke Japanese to the waitress asking her to tell us it was their last call and if we wanted to leave. It was about 9:15 pm and there were still people in the restaurant. So when the waitress asked us to pay the bill, I asked her what the chef said about the stinky Uni. She said the chef advised her that those are Uni from Boston and we probably had never had them. They are normal to be stinky. Come on!!!... I have had so many Uni in my life and I know what's good and what's not. Not apologizing is one thing, insulting customers is another. We paid our bill of $140 with additional 15% tips because it was not the fault of the waitress. Their foods are expensive. The next few days my stomach has had major problem and I am sure that the bad Uni caused my discomfort because something smells the same. We understand foods do get bad and it's ok if appropriate apology is given. I am sad that I won't go back to this place but I think the Chef should really think about how to treat people right. I am done with Uni from now on... thanks to them.

Reviewed 27 April 2016

Hard to find Japanese restaurant run by Japanese chefs these days. This is one of those. Great selection of fresh fish and grill items. Very friendly and attentive service. Price is towards the high side. Will certainly visit again.

Reviewed 19 December 2015 via mobile

Me and my wife came here and the thing that stuck out in my mind was how fresh everything was. We got the salmon tartare, spicy salmon roll, spider roll. Everything was excellent and the service was phenomenal. The prices weren't too expensive either, I'll be back.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

Be away to S.Africa for all most two months ,girlfriend # 5 pick me up from the airport ,and she know in Africa ,there is no good sushi place ,so ,she so thoughtful ,she know I miss Sushi so much , so ,we went to Kiriri restaurant for dinner in Richmond ,the place is very small and clean ,but the portions are very very very small , I personally not recominended for people used to All You Can Eat Susi !,not for the kids too !it is for " Sushi Connoisseur " the price is not cheap ,but it worth every penny ,the quality of the food is fresh and excellent , ,try the Stone grill beef tongue ,,and Monk fish liver ,we have a great time ,reservation must ! service is fine , I think this is top Ten sushi Restaurant in west Cost ! if you like Authentic Japanese Sushi ,this is the place ! remember I all way say You Pay What You Get !

2  Thank TONY L