All reviews packed lunch before dinner the main house complimentary pimms a nice touch sandwiches dining room crisps mulled wine fresh milk peak district both nights afternoon tea excellent food plenty of choice porridge full english
Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a quiet hotel for a night away for my 30th and to do some cycling. Having looked at the mixed reviews on here we needn't have worried. This beautiful hotel is hidden away in the gorgeous peak district countryside. We were welcomed by the manager who showed us to bedroom 7, which had a lovely half four poster bed and brand new huge bath. Complimentary fizz/beer in the room was a very nice touch.
We decided to dine here too in the evening and I'm glad we did. Food was beautiful, presented immaculately and tasted heavenly. I could easily have had the lemon posset several times over. Lovely relaxed atmosphere during the evening, everyone sat down chatting with a coffee.
After a very restful night we had a fantastic breakfast, lots of local produce.

We will without a doubt be coming here again. We live relatively locally (40 miles away) but we will definitely return for a night away again. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2018

Despite some mixed reviews, the wife and I decided to try Biggin Hall as it seemed as though some reviews were a little harsh - especially leaving a bad review for a place you never stayed at.......

Regardless, we had a warm greeting on arrival and were shown to the room, which was excellent - but mind your head on the beams! (I didn't despite the warnings!). Loads of room and a huge bathroom, so big ticks there. We decided to have a snack and drink in the lounge, enjoying the open fire. We had figured out that this place is popular with people who want the walks and good food & drink, but chatting with other guests we quickly discovered that people return year on year and that was very reassuring. One group had been coming for over 10 years!

Onto dinner and the feel in the restaurant was quite cosy. Service was prompt and polite, food was excellent. We tried duck and lamb respectively and the wines were good too (we tried the champagne, merlot, and the Italian red).

Post dinner, we retired to the lounge again and joined in the banter with the other guests - more folks who were repeat visitors. The staff sign off at 10-10.30pm, but wasn't an issue for us as we'd had great evening.

Breakfast next morning was decent, and once again service was good. All in all a great break and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. My only small suggestion would be that they would benefit form a good local cask ale - however I do recognise that this requires a good volume of folks drinking it to make it viable. That was the only (Small) thing missing in an otherwise excellent stay.

In short, as fairly seasoned travellers with a sense of perspective, Biggin Hall is good value and the service and food were great. We'll be back

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul O
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

Spent a couple of days here to celebrate a friends Golden Wedding Can not speak too highly of our welcome & care Thank you.
A small suggestion ... can you please provide cafetieres at breakfast so that one does not have to walk about with a cup of coffee to your own table
We will be back

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

This was booked as a suprise by my husband to celebrate 30 yrs of our marriage. ...we had room 8 perfect so clean n comphy
We had a beautiful meal in restaurant with lovely staff ...the end to a lovely day
Next morning no one was in the restaurant so we sat at nearest table to us ....waited a while then realised the table was laid for dinner I'd already opened napkin so I got up n got cups n sugar n jams off another table. ....a member of staff stood by me n growled ...Tea or coffee. ..we asked for tea n she put tea down walked back to the kitchen. ...no good morning or please help your self. ..nothing
We don't eat meat so I got up to ask if it was possible to have vegetarian sausages yes ..we then got given two vegetable sticks shaped like a sausage. ..horrible for breakfast (peas sweetcorn onion ) we didn't eat that ....cheap n not what I expected.
We didn't enjoy breakfast at all the service was ...none ... we had toast and left ...we didn't know the packed lunches were set up next door ....either !!!!!!
We had a great day out n returned to the pub next door the staff there was very welcoming n nice pub grub
Next morning. ....was like we went to a different hotel ...staff showed us to a table gave us a menu ...n we had a completely different experience. ...although I'd have loved a non meat protein sausage. ..the breakfast was lovely. ..check out took a while ..(20 mins) lady struggled to find us ...but we had a lovely time. ..beautiful room fantastic evening meal ...n I felt sad to leave ....we will be back

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank berthaUk
Reviewed 17 October 2018

Contacted this hotel yesterday (16-10 2018) to book a double room of one night in November.
I was told by the receptionist that I could "only book for TWO nights this far in advance".
Why?
"You will have to wait and ring back in November, which gives us chance to take "Two night Bookings" prior to you".
"What?"
Top line repeated! followed by:-
"We don't want the hotel to be full of "One Nighters" before taking bookings for "Two Nighters"
Please draw your own conclusions as to what happened next?

4  Thank Roger W