All reviewsferry terminalbreakfast was includedlovely old hotelold world charmmusselsauckland cityopen fireshort visitharbour view roomquick drinkelegant hotelsun roombreakfast menuvictoria suitesconesnew zealandlounge area
Reviewed 17 February 2018

We had done the bus tours around Auckland and got the ferry return thrown in so went thinking we would pass a couple of hours in devonport. We got off the boat and fancied and bite to eat and a drink so being Brits we went into the first pub we see. Got a table on the pavement outside ordered drinks and sat and people watched. Great food God pints,you can't go wrong with pints of peroni,and sat there for four hours I the sunshine. Service was fast and efficient . Historical gents toilet . A great afternoon had by all.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Front Office M, Manager at The Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Many thanks for your kind review. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

Straight off the ferry, great location to watch the world go by. Great welcome the waiter was very friendly and helpful. Had the chefs platter, just what we needed, great selection of cheeses, cold meats, fries and fish goujons. lovely food! Yum!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind review. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

We spent a week staying in the Espladade Hotel and although the hotel is not in perfect condition, it didn't matter at all. It was very comfortable, clean and the staff were absolutely marvellous. The meals were great too. A home away from home.
The only problem was the hotel did not have their own car park and we had to try to find a a park in the tightly contested council car parking system, as most of the parks were taken in the early morning by ferry passengers traveling to Auckland. But we got buy.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your kind review. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. Yes this is a Category A heritage building and over 115 years old, before cars. But even the stables have been removed in the 1990s.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

After a wonderfull wander through the streets of Devonport, full of quaint shops and eating places, with stunning properties, mainly wooden built with iron filigree features, in the residential areas, we stopped off at the Esplanade for afternoon tea. We chose to sit al fresco on the pavement, warmed by the late afternoon sun, and took tea and muffins, gently served warm with butter. Lush! The hotel's interior is fascinating, with many original features still evident. The staff, mainly overseas students on their gap year, are perfectly charming and speak beautifully accented English, sometimes not always understanding the local accented speech.You must go and enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jollyrobert

Reviewed 2 February 2018

I stayed at the Esplanade mid January for 4 nights. I had a lovely room (Victoria Rm) with a balcony overlooking the ferry terminal and the Auckland skyline. The convenience of this hotel to the town of Devonport and the ferry to Auckland was perfect for me. I enjoyed my free breakfast every morning. There is quite a selection for breakfast although I chose the 'Big E' each morning. The staff was so helpful with info for the town and always asking if all was good in my room. I slept well in my bed, it was very comfy. Beautiful shower. This is definitely not a 5 star hotel but the quaintness of it was worth the stay. Yes it was a bit noisy early evening from the downstairs bar but noise seemed to subside by 9ish. I slept well and was not disturbed by outside noise.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank luvtravlyn333

Many thanks for your kind review. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. Yes this is a Category A heritage building and over 115 years old. We also have a music programme but we ensure it ceases by abot 9pm each night it is on.