All reviewswhite horsethe pubnoisy fanspecials boardlovely villagepretty villagewarm welcomethe north yorkshire moorsopen firecleveland waykippersevening mealpienight stayfish and chipswell worth a visitcooked to perfection
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Basil Fawlty is alive and well and living in Kilburn.
The Forrester's Arms is very old fashioned, in a sometimes good and sometimes not so good way. The building is gorgeous, the village is pretty, the landlady is friendly, the beer is decent and the bar is cosy in an old-fashioned carpeted pub kind of a way. But .....
The landlord .... not exactly friendly it's fair to say. When I went to check in I felt as though I'd walked into the chap's living room unannounced and stood in front of the telly as he was watching his favourite TV show.
Opening hours .... the pub closes its doors at 11.30 (or 12 depending on whether you believe the information in the room or the landlord (yes him again). In 2017 that seems like quite bad customer service. Just give me a key so I can come and go at any time .... I felt like I was staying in a Christian youth hostel.
The breakfasts ... are a bit sad. There's no fresh fruit, just the usual full English, plastic pots of yoghurt and some dry looking muesli. Considering the hotel is slap bang in the middle of some of the finest agricultural produce in Britain, it all feels a bit tragic and unimaginative.
The room .... too much furniture in too small a room with a telly balanced precariously on the window sill. A very old-fashioned bathroom with a shower that dribbled water onto your head without actually washing you. To add insult to injury you could hear the kitchen ventilation start up at 7.30 in the morning and keep going until 11.30 at night (of course you heard it because you were safely shut in your room by that time to avoid the risk of being shut out of the hotel).
The supper .... to be fair the food was delicious but the portion of bakewell tart was insultingly small - about the size of my little finger. I would have been embarrassed to serve it. It was a mean portion and it offered a small insight into how the proprietors see their guests (or at least the non-local ones).
I think overall this hotel is run to be a warm and friendly local pub but one with a hotel that's run in a basic, penny pinching and uniimaginative way with far too little attention paid to those that come from further afield.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hotelreviewer125
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Hi we recently had dinner in the Forrester arms the service was at best pretty poor. My wife decided to have one of the specials the sea bass with linguine. She was served a plate full of linguine with the smallest peace of fish I have ever seen in a restaurant or pub my stake and ale pie basically meat with a very small peace of pastrie on top very disappointing .The Forrester has a good bar serving real ales and the restaurant has sum character when we were served I noticed the bar man pulled the real ales as fast as he could hoping to complete the order before the beer had settled every drink he pulled was short a top up was never offerd we had to ask so even though it is a pub with sum character I found it disappointing.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamesv6051ay
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

The rooms are average size for pub/hotels, but clean. The owners and staff are helpful. However, if you are walking the Cleveland Way, be aware that the hotel is over 2 miles from the trail and it requires around 300 feet steep descend ( and then climb the next day). It adds about 1.5 hours to the walk each way. A better alternative is to continue on the CE and about 2 miles there is a facility right on the CW.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Fantastic couple of nights at the Forresters Arms. Comfy bed, good facilities and a cracking selection of local ales in the bar!

We were visiting for a wedding in the area and were made to feel thoroughly welcome.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 June 2017

I recently stayed at Forresters Arms and dined here, it's a very welcoming country inn. The rooms are basic (What you would expect from a B&B). We were originally put in to a room that wasn't ready but then moved to another room.

The staff were really friendly and welcoming, we felt they were approachable. The locals in the pub area were very friendly and would take the time to chat to you about the area which was very nice.

Food in the pub area was very nice, homemade, hearty food. I had the pie on the 2nd night which was great. The sticky toffee pudding was fantastic as well!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple