1,215 results
All reviews free mini bar coffee machine compact room small bottle of wine car park four poster city centre lovely little hotel fresh milk dressing gowns would stay again free parking ironing board street parking little extras lovely touch one night stay
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Brilliant little find. 15 minute stroll from the town centre. Carpark and on street parking. Clean hotel and comfortable rooms. All the staff were friendly and approachable. Ben on reception was a great host. Ask him about his Hugh Grant and Simon Cowell story .
Had a few drinks at the hotel bar which was reasonably priced. Also had an evening meal and breakfast. Everything is cooked to order but didn't take an unusually long time to come like other reviews have stated, food was piping hot and cooked to perfection. Decent home cooked breakfast in the morning with unlimited drinks, cereal and toast. Just what was needed after a night around the pubs. Will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
reception H, Reception at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

Dear Jason G,

Many thanks for this fantastic review of our hotel!
High quality food and great customer service are just two of the things we pride ourselves on here at Hotel Noir, so its great to see you enjoyed both. I am sure Ben will be delighted to hear you found him to be a great host, he is very popular with our guests, I'll be sure to pass on your comments to him.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel next time you visit York. Be sure to check out our Friends of Noir scheme which offers exclusive discounts to member!

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for five nights but would not return. Great location to get into town and great bus service just round the corner if your feet are sore with all the walking.
The staff were very welcoming and helpful if we needed anything but...
The bed sheet was torn and didn't fit the bed - although this was changed the same day when we told them
The towels were not changed once during our stay
The bathroom floor wasn't cleaned during our stay - found a random toothbrush on our floor on our last day - receptionist said she had no idea how it got there as it wasn't one of theirs
Our mini bar wasn't restocked on our last day - reason given at book out was there had been a power cut the previous day - work that one out!
Bulb blew at desk and when checking the hairdryer was connected inside a drawer but one of the wires wasn't connected - reported both and was given another hairdryer - loose wire inside drawer wasn't fixed and no new bulb offered
WiFi signal was poor
Massimo machine had water in it when we arrived - how long had that been there?
The food was good although I was told if I wanted porridge and boiled eggs there would be a twenty minute wait - boiled eggs were not cooked and didn't want another twenty minutes wait for more
Restaurant only served two tables every half hour, although there were lots of empty tables

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
reception H, Reception Supervisor at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2018

Mungo4,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to send in a review we always appreciate a guest feedback, this helps us to improve the service we offer. I am glad you found our staff to be helpful and welcoming we always try our best to make all our guests feel welcome.

I have investigated the issue with your bedsheet, unfortunately as I’m sure you can appreciate when laundry is sent to be cleaned this sometimes causes damage without realising, however as you mentioned when this was brought to our attention this was quickly rectified.

With regard to towels in your room not being changed however, we clearly display in the rooms that should our guests require fresh towels, we ask them to be left in the bathtub/shower cubicle to make it clear to our housekeeping team to replace them. If this was missed during your stay I apologise, however had you made our reception team aware of this we would have rectified the problem for you immediately.

After speaking with the housekeeping manager, I can assure you all bathroom floors are cleaned thoroughly and daily, should you have found a toothbrush in your room I apologise as this is not up to our usual standards and I’m sure you can appreciate sometimes these small things can easily be missed but also rectified very quickly.

As I am sure you understand having a power cut due to very bad weather is something that is out of our control, however, we tried to do everything we could to make all our guests feel comfortable during the stormy weather we felt here in York! Due to there being a power cut the last thing we would want to do is fill up a mini bar and leave milk in a warm fridge for our guests as this would have very quickly spoiled.

I feel there was some misunderstanding with your breakfast order. As you ordered from the continental menu our waitress explained that there is a 20 minute wait for pastries as we bake them fresh to order to make sure the reach your table fresh and delicious! Porridge and boiled eggs would never take this long to reach your table and are something you could enjoy whilst waiting for you pastries.

Overall, I do hope you come back to us in the future. We offer a great discount for friends you can join this on our direct website this allows you to get 10% off your stay and food/drink.

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night mid-week. Arrived at lunch time and, although check in wasn’t until 2pm, as our room was ready they allowed us to check in. Lady on reception was lovely, friendly and very welcoming. Hotel was a 10-15 min walk into York. We were out all afternoon and returned to the hotel at 8pm. We went to the bar to order two cocktails only to be told by the lady behind the bar there would be a 20 minute wait for cocktails as she was on her own running the bar and serving meals in the restaurant. People were coming down to ask for a table in the restaurant only to be told there was a 15 min wait, not because it was full and no tables available but because the poor lady was ran off her feet serving the people already in the restaurant and serving people at the bar. We got parked in the car park and the gates were locked on a night which was good. Room was clean and well presented. The complimentary mini bar consisted of two bottles of mineral water, a can of coke, a can of lemonade and a bottle of lager. There was a safe, ironing board, kettle and iron inside the wardrobe and a Tassimo machine in the room. The bed wasn’t the comfiest and we didn’t sleep well at all. We could hear the man in the next room when he talked, it felt like he was in the room with us. Overall nice, clean hotel but probably wouldn’t stay there again, would rather try elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
reception H, Reception supervisor at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2018

Madlis90, Thank you for your feedback in regard to your recent stay with us here at Hotel Noir. I am glad you felt very welcomed by the team, we always do our best to make sure our guests feel special when they come to stay with us.

During your stay I believe we were a staff member down and unfortunately our receptionist was covering both reception and our bar and restaurant which meant she was very busy that evening, I have however spoken to her and she has informed me you did not infact wait for your cocktails and chose to drink wine instead.

We are a small team here at the hotel and cook all of our meals from fresh, this means that during busy periods we sometimes have to stagger tables in the restaurant so as not to overwhelm the chef. We find this is beneficial to the quality of our food and the vast majority of our guest appreciate this, as I am sure you can tell from reading all of our positive reviews regarding the restaurant.

I do hope you decide to come back in the future we offer an amazing 10% discount to our friends you can join the scheme by simply going to our direct website.

Overall, I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Kind regards

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

The hotel was nice, the male receptionist was so welcoming and he helped us to our room as we got lost finding it.

The room was clean and basic but nice the bed however wasn’t comfy at all, it was so hard that I had the worst sleep. The shower wasn’t powerful at all but it did work and the Wifi was really disappointing as it wouldn’t connect to any of our devices or even pick up the Hotel as an option to connect too.

The breakfast was amazing and the service was great too.

We did have a good time here just a-shame the bed was so hard.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
reception H, Reception Supervisor at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Katie L, firstly I would like to say I appreciate you taking the time to send in a review about your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that our reception team assisted you with finding your room as I am aware sometimes it can be a little confusing when you first arrive in a hotel to find your way around.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience with the bed you had, this is not a comment we receive often, however we realise that each individual has a different preference with mattress firmness.

Had you brought this to the attention of reception myself or my colleagues would have been only to happy to offer you a change of room with a more suitable bed depending on room availability.

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast! We pride ourselves on offering a freshly cooked to order breakfast which is also locally sourced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to York in the future.
Kind regards

Reception, Supervisor

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

My second visit and its still an excellent place to stay, only 10 minute walk to the Minster. The hotel is pleasant throughout and has charming, friendly staff on hand to help. The bedrooms are comfortable with toiletries in the bathroom. Iron and board on wardrobe and a hairdryer. Added is a Tassimo drinks machine and a small fridge with fresh milk and water, small bottle of wine and a lager, all complementary. Breakfast was excellent. There is an in hotel bar and restaurant.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
reception H, Reception, Supervisor at Hotel Noir, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Pushti,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay with us, we always love to hear from our guests as this allows us to improve the service we provide. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team!
We source all of our meats at the hotel locally and are very glad this shows in the quality of our breakfasts, it is something we are very proud!
Please don’t forget about our scheme FRIENDS OF NOIR – this allows you to receive 10% off your next stay when booking directly plus 10% off your food and drink when dining with us.
We also do lots of little extras and competitions throughout the year so its worth keeping your eyes open for when these happen!

See you again in the future. Kind regards