“Worst place we've ever stayed” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Fincourt
Ranked #3 of 5 Oldcastle B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Worst place we've ever stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed here for just one night in the self catering apartment which my friend booked for me. It looked nice on the website although a little old fashioned but thought it should be grand for the night that we needed. When we arrived at the hotel, we found the courtyard outside the apartment stank of urine, presumably from the night before. The apartment itself was not very clean at all, quite dusty and even my 6 year old put a bowl back in the cupboard and asked if there was a clean one. I sat on the bed for a while and got bitten by bed bugs. The sheets and towels were clean but the bedspreads hadn't been washed. The bathroom shower was streaked with soap stains. The television wasn't working. My husband asked one of the staff if he could fix it, he tried new batteries in the remote which didn't work then said he was off to find another television. He never came back. He told us there would be a bit of noise later, after we had checked in and paid. We were not prepared for the level. The door to the apartment was a large glass double door/ window. People were constantly peeking in through the curtains, trying to open the door and falling against it. The smoking area was directly outside and the place was obviously not insulated/ soundproofed. The smell of smoke filled the apartment and we may as well have been trying to sleep in a disco as the door to the dj was left open until the early hours. There was no cups/ mugs to make a cup of tea, although teabags, decaff coffee only, an opened bag of sugar and some 11 day out of date milk in the fridge were provided. The list just goes on, freezer completely full with ice. Someone's half drank carton of juice was left in the fridge. I was afraid to use anything in the kitchen before washing it thoroughly first. I think if you are drinking and going to the disco in the hotel and are 20 something and just want a place to sleep after falling in drunk, it's grand. But it is definitely not suited to families. On a positive note, they did provide us with bottles of water and biscuits, which was a nice touch. Oh yes, one more thing, screws and bits of metal were to be found on the mantelpiece, drawers, on the floor. And there was a socket which you could pull right out of the wall and wires were crossing large areas. The stairs was also quite dangerous for kids, no bannister. Crunchy towels. I would give it a minus 1 but I don't think that's possible. No comment card in the room, so they obviously don't really care what we thought, we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay. Had paid for breakfast but after seeing the cleanliness levels we decided to go to the local supermarket and get something there instead. My kids stamped in the puddles of wee on the way out. We would definitely never go there again if someone paid us. I don't know how it's rated 3 stars.

Room Tip: I don't know what the other rooms were like so I can't comment as we only stayed in the self...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Myself and 5 others booked the apartment for a night during the Virginia pumpkin festival. We found the staff really helpful and friendly, there was a mix up about which door would open during the night for us to get in, but 2 of the lads came and sorted it out for us as soon as they heard. Admittedly it was a bit cold upstairs even though blankets and heaters had been provided. Breakfast was included in the price, all in all we felt our needs were met very well, and it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2010
Beaufort, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

Firstly, i want to premise this review by saying that the staff were very helpful and courteous. Their talents would be more suited to an establishment better than this.
1. This place is not a hotel, it is a pub with b&b at the back
2. We booked the 2 bed apartment for ourselves and 3 young kids. I specifically asked whether noise would be an issue to which i was told that the rooms were at the back of the building. Our apartment was directly of the courtyard Directly behind the pub. Sounds idyllic doesn't it. What wasn't mentioned was that the courtyard also acted as their smoking area. Consequently, we had shouting and roaring directly outside our glass door until 1.30am. My kids were terrified what with the very offensive language and people constantly falling against our door. Once the dance music finished after 1am and the crowd finally dispersed ( the pub has a DJ in it hence the very loud dance music ), we then had the noise of the staff cleaning until 2.45 am.
3. The beds were slightly damp ( I am presuming that no heating was on during the summer months )
4. No hot water. I went to the helpful barman who then put the heating on in the apartment and told us to wait a few minutes for it ( the water) to heat up. We gave it an hour and eventually had to have cold showers.

In 20 years of staying in hotels, I would definitely say that this was my worst experience by some distance in Ireland. If I got it free, I wouldn't spend another night here. My last bit of advice is if you can't find other accomadation within a 20 mile radius of Oldcastle, bring a tent. It will be warmer, dryer and quieter! Avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dokgolf
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

The staff here were amazing- we turned up worse for wear after a nearby event- the staff looked after us, got us up to our rooms and were generally lovely. When we finally surfaced about 1 O clock, we had a delicious breakfast served to us quickly. The barmaid even lent us an umbrella because it was raining. Hotel was clean and nicely decorated.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tigerdave79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldcastle
9.1 km away
4.5 km away
Loughcrew House
Loughcrew House
#2 of 5 in Oldcastle

Been to The Fincourt? Share your experiences!