1,311 results
All reviewsfree breakfastmade to order breakfastbest westernsadjoining restaurantorder off the menuon site restaurantblueberry pancakeswithin walking distanceprivate beachqueen roomtwo sinksfull servicefree accessquiet areaeach morningtwo blocksheavenly village
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

What a gem. Location, location, location! Walk to beach (free pass), Heavenly Ski resort (Gondola/zip line), shopping, hiking, and gambling. Restaurant provided free HOT breakfast. Outdoor pool looked beautiful, but I never used it. Knowledge staff. Room was a bit small, but not an issue. Comfortable bed. No microwave. Quiet a/c. You do have to carry luggage upstairs if you are on upper level. Clean grounds. Felt safe walking back from beach/grill at night. Less congested than other areas. Don't overlook this place. I'd stay again.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Eric E, General Manager at Best Western Station House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

We very much appreciate your kind comments.

Reviewed 13 August 2016

It was a very good experience we never imagined that everything for having fun would be so close to the hotel .The hotel is on a great spot .Everthing was clean all around the property of the hotel.The breakfast was excellent and delicious.Thank for the excellent service.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2016

We were welcomed in a friendly manner when we were arrived. We stayed here before and really enjoyed it, so we came back. We got to our room, which was very nice and unpacked. Everything was in working order. The inn is located about two city blocks from downtown, the casinos and the beach, all within walking distance. Breakfast is complimentary at the restaurant next door where you order off a menu and have table service. It is usually crowded because, let's face it, restaurant service for free? Who wouldn't. They wait staff are excellent and the food is delicious. Our only problems were because we had to book two separate times because BW won't allow you to use your points for part of your stay and regular payment for another part. You have to book separately. This caused some confusing from the front staff and our key cards were cancelled on the second and third day of our stay, so we had to get those redone each day. On our last day, our room hadn't been made up, probably for the same reason our key card was cancelled and we had to wait by the pool while that was taken care of. The pool is very nice and very popular and there is a hot tub available, too. The restaurant next door serves dinner, which is a bit pricey. The lounge isn't particularly large, but they have outdoor seating by the pool and also service the pool users. The only complaint for the bar is the lack of good beer. Except for a couple, most beer was of the Bud-Coors variety. Checkout was a breeze and took all of three minutes. We will be coming back, probably in April or May, which is their off season, as the town was really crowded.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

The location of this Best Western is ideal. Off the main road and within walking distance to a nice beach. Very nice quiet location. It is clean, which is one of my main concerns when booking a hotel. The bed, however, was so uncomfortable that I could not sleep for 2 nights, and couldn't wait to get home to sleep! Upon checking in, another guest was complaining about her King mattress, and the front desk clerk advised her to switch to the queen which wouldn't be as soft. I was on the King mattress and that thing was as hard as a brick. And, probably the most uncomfortable pillows I have ever encountered in a Best Western. When I checked out, front desk clerk seemed well aware of the problem with the mattresses, because he said the guests all moan about the hardness or softness of the mattresses. WELL, here's a solution, CHANGE THEM!

Reviewed 9 August 2016

My wife and I were in the South Lake Tahoe area for one night, and booked a room at the Best Western in large part due to the many positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Although we enjoyed the visit to Lake Tahoe, we will be looking for something a bit different in terms of accommodations when we visit the next time. The Best Western may provide some visitors exactly what they are looking for, and clearly many people like this hotel. If it fits your needs, that’s wonderful, but it was not a particularly great fit for our needs.

There are a number of potentially positive features, again depending on what you are looking for. You are about a 5-10 minute walk from a marina/beach area. If you want to spend your day there, then the hotel scores high on convenience. However, there is a beach parking lot, so you can drive to there from other hotels, or to any number of other beaches as well. If you want to visit the casinos, they are within walking distance. I don’t gamble, but if you do, or are going to a casino event and don’t want to stay at a casino hotel, well, then perhaps the Best Western would serve your purposes. The hotel has a swimming pool, and if you (or your kids) find a swimming pool planted in a parking lot an attractive venue, then I suppose this is another positive. Personally, I don’t need to come all the way to Lake Tahoe for a pool overlooking a parking lot. Finally, if having food on the grounds is important to you, then they have you covered. The reception desk staff was polite, friendly, and efficient. The bathroom was functional.

So, what didn’t I like? The rooms at the Best Western have an all-too-familiar layout that I find unappealing. The doors to the rooms are under a narrow covered walkway that faces the parking lot. You have one window that gives you a view of the parking lot, and all the people staying on your floor/level as they walk past your room to their rooms. If you want any level of privacy, you will be sitting in a room with the lights on regardless of the time of day. I personally don’t like that dark an environment. We had a room with two double beds, an armoire, two chairs, a “cocktail”/side table, a dresser, and a nightstand. Pretty basic stuff. I found it amusing that corporate room designers try to “Martha Stewart” the place by adding in lots of useless pillows on the bed that you have no place to put if you actually want to sleep in the beds. I prefer clean uncluttered functionality. The room had a tv, viewable from the bed, but not from the two chairs, a way to heat water and make coffee, an iron, free internet access, and a refrigerator placed next to a bed so that you could enjoy the sound of the compressor throughout the night. (Although I appreciate a refrigerator, putting it under the bathroom counter might have been better from a noise perspective.) For security reasons, you are unlikely to want to open a window at night, and so the heating/cooling unit is your only option for dealing with stagnant air and moderating the room’s temperature. Do bring earplugs (I always do) because in addition to the refrigerator, and the heating/cooling unit, you will hear the parking lot conversations, the conversations in the walkways and on the steps to the second floor, the conversations and tv in the room next to you, and if you are on the ground floor, most likely the people above you if the room is occupied. The walls transmit sound very well, which unfortunately is not a positive. I have back issues, and some hotel mattresses work well for me while others do not. I found the mattress rather uncomfortable, and if you happen to be a stomach sleeper, then it is advised that you bring a pillow from home along. I found all the pillows to be uncomfortable and/or too thick to sleep comfortably on. Thankfully I remembered to pack my pillow, or I would have gotten even less sleep than I did.

The room, which cost roughly $200/night, did include a complementary cooked-to-order breakfast. We did not pursue this option, and I wish they would decouple the breakfast from the room. Those who want breakfast can buy it. Our experience has been that the number of gluten-free options is generally limited, which creates issues for my wife, and I tend to not enjoy overcooked or poorly cooked eggs in any form. Over the years, I have had enough rubbery “green” boiled eggs that were actually boiled, incinerated fried eggs with chewy whites and an edge crust, dried-out scrambled eggs, omelets that were basically folded over dried-out scrambled eggs and not proper omelets, poached eggs that were poached in advance and not fully reheated, pancakes and waffles made from a commercial mix, and French toast that starts with some version of Wonder bread, and is finished with “maple” syrup that has no maple syrup in it. For domestic overnight stays, we just pack our own breakfast and forego the pleasure of such culinary delights, even if they are "included". I will add that if there was a microwave in the room, neither of us found it. So if you have hopes of watching a movie with microwave popcorn, or heating a cup of soup after skiing, or oatmeal in the morning, or leftovers from dinner or lunch out, you are out of luck.

Although the staff was friendly and efficient, and deserves four stars, we did not find the room particularly appealing and it certainly did not seem like a particularly good value. We will be staying elsewhere the next time we visit. I can see staying at places like this when you are on a roadtrip and in the middle of nowhere. If you are going to go all the way to a place as beautiful as Lake Tahoe, then it is worth finding a place to stay that enhances rather than detracts from your vacation/visit experience. That place is different for different people. The Best Western may be a better fit for you than it was for us, but if similar issues as the ones I discuss bother you, then hopefully this review is useful to you as you make your lodging decision.

Room Tip: Would suggest a second floor room away from stairs; our room was noisy.