All reviews werner lau dive centre semi open air bathroom villa bahari dive school reef fish management team sea wall liberty wreck beach bungalow diving holiday great cocktails restaurant serves restaurant staff balinese style perfect stay our honeymoon
Reviewed 19 June 2018

We stayed at Alam Anda resort for a week in May and I’m adding to the review my husband has already posted. I couldn’t have wished for a better place to stay. We have been to several resorts in the Maldives and this tops them all. Ok so it’s not all inclusive, but this does not matter. Everything is reasonably priced and we checked our bill half way through and it was what we thought it would be.
The breakfast is lovely with slight variations each day and lots of beautifully carved fruit. I had lunch on my own one day when my husband went diving and I was looked after, same at the spa. Again I have used several spas in the Maldives and this was certainly the best and also not as expensive. Assini (I think that’s her name) looked after me really well. I have had a knee operation and other surgery and she was so gentle. I certainly recommend the synchronised massage. It was wonderful and the flower and milk bath. The ginger and honey tea after your session was so relaxing served in a beautiful tea set (which you can buy in the shop)
It was our wedding anniversary whilst we were there and there was a lovely card in our room and we have great cocktails at the bar. Just watch out for the Long Island iced tea as it’s a bit strong!!
Food in the restaurant is excellent with local and international dishes, even a pizza night. But the only comment is that it’s a bit dim, so you can’t quite appreciate the beautifully presented dishes.
Also recommend the shop. I bought some lovely stone carvings and a wooden plaque and some spoons and batik bag. Excellent presents at reasonable prices and you don’t have to haggle.
All the staff are really friendly and the grounds beautifully cared for with frangipani flowers on the ground and such a lovely atmosphere. Even at our time of departure we were waved off, which was lovely . I think we will go back!

Room tip: Seaview bungalow number 4
Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 25 May 2018

Visited here a week ago (May 2018). We simply loved everything about this resort, and as there seem to be not too many recent reviews I thought I'd put a comprehensive description.

Rooms. We chose to upgrade from the Losmen rooms to a seafront and had no 4... absolutely super choice - this room also had a sofa inside the room, and a lovely seating area and table and chairs on the balcony/patio, which in the May breezes was just perfect. The semi open air bathroom is spacious and very nice, there are plenty of storage shelves, a mosquito net for the bed (it is a tropical climate after all!) plus a mini bar and fridge. In the past some folk had commented on the surf noiose keeping them awake. Well yes you can hear it, but I wouldn't swap that sound for the world, it made us feel very much in the 'tropics'. We were even serenaded by the bizarre sounds of the gecko's on occasion (don't complain about those, they eat mosquitos apparently :-)

Restaurant: Plenty of space. Looks lovely and a super menu that is not at all expensive – this is great as there are no restaurants nearby so unless you want longer taxi rides then eat in the Hotel. Buty why wouldn’t you? It really is very good. After Alam Anda we had a couple of days in the Alila Ubud near Ubud itself, and that was 3 - 4 times the price, and whilst a more 'arty' menu we honestly thought Alam Anda was far nicer, with a better atmosphere, location and of course menu. The staff are lovely in the restaurant as they are everywhere in the resort. Only minor thing is at night it is quite dim so if you struggle to read or are unsure of your footing take a little torch of sorts - they do priovide menu lights but it is still a tad dark.

Bar: As you'd expect, super staff - it seems everyone we met really wanted to chat (without being intrusive), and were lovely. Great choice of cocktails too, take advantage of them in the happy hour 6-7pm, we certainly did :-)

Reception / lobby. The girls there really went out of their way to help with anything you wanted. Nothing was too much trouble. They of course do tours from the hotel, but as my wife is not so quick walking after a recent knee surgery we chose a private driver, which only cost about £55-£60 GBP for the whole day. Norman (well his name sounded like Norman) was very good

Dive Centre: Although I am a very experienced diver this wasn't a diving trip but a vacation for my wife. I did manage a couple of dives though, and was as you'd expect from Werner Lau very efficient. Nothing was too much trouble for the guys who worked in the dive centre, and thanks to Ian who heads it up. Diving wise it is black sand here like most of north Bali, so different sort of diving to the likes of the Maldives. Loads of macro stuff, and still very good. And if its not the ‘windy season’ snorkelling is great in front of the hotel too.

Gardens: What can you say, lovingly cared for and looked stunning.

Pool. Not the biggest but for me one of the best. Perhaps not so good for children as the shallowest part is 1.6

Spa. MY wife used it a coujple of times. She thoroughly enjoyed it,saying it was reasonably priced and the girls lovely. She though it much nicer than the spas she'd used in the Maldives

Overall, very highly recommended resort. No it isn’t 5 star, but in a relaxed location like this I wouldn't want that sort of place anyway, and this really is very good indeed. We will go again.

Room tip: If you want to hear the sea choose a sea front room. If the noise of the surf will keep you awake choose a garden room
Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

I stayed for unfortunately only two nights.
The thatched roof cottage no. 2 was cute, cute, cute. The furniture, including bed frame, was bamboo, the Balinese style roof was thatched with grass, open in parts to let the breezes through.

Everything you needed was inside, air conditioner, small fridge, toiletries, ample towels, everything super clean and well cared for, decorated with flowers.

There was a huge day bed on the porch, with table and chairs, overlooking the surf beach, from oceanside cottage no. 2. Well, actually there is no sand on beach, but pounding waves against a sea wall. It was lovely to listen to this all day.

Both evenings I stayed I was lucky enough to enjoy a fantastical and dramatic lightning and thunderstorm show from my porch, accompanied by lashings of rain !!

Everything about this "paradise" is wonderful ... staff very helpful and friendly, atmospheric location, divine and airy rooms, lush manicured garden, well -spaced villas (ample privacy), well priced ... the list could go on ...

Highly recommend by a frequent Bali visitor. .. a great experience st Alam Anda.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2017

This resort is about 3hrs away from the hectic city centre of Bali and Ubud. Right on the beach this resort is a dive centre as well. Stayed here for 10 days and enjoyed some of the best of Balinese food, culture and hospitality.
The German management and local staff here are very professional and more than happy to help guests with anything at resort or the diving.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who wants to enjoy a Balinese holiday and Diving at the same time.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2017

was nice till we paid, got quoted in ird( had been in bali 1 month so knew exacted what ird was worth, $160.00. nz .however come checkout got checkout got charged 400 Euro so then was just over $400.00 nz plus!! dollars. when enquiring before taking room asked 3 times to make sure. When checking out was disgusted and queried this and was told that was rate. security guards were called so obviously we had to pay... Will never stay there again and would advise people to be very careful!!! may now only pay in advance now I know in such a large resort only 20 people there!!!! digusted!!!

Room tip: go some where else
Date of stay: May 2016
5  Thank Ilona H
Bastian W, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Alam Anda Ocean Front Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2017

Dear Guests

We take complains very seriously. If the manager is out of the office or hotel at the time where a problem might arise, we are also keen to solve problems after departure. In your case we never received any complain email or call, furthermore, you are writing about something which you state has happened 8 month ago, which we find unusual.
However, rates of our hotel are listed on the website and price lists of the rooms are available at our reception desk.
The room rates are listed in Euro and per Person and the exchange rate we daily obtain from the money changer in Denpasar.
Guests are free to choose the currency in which they like to settle the payment in cash.
Also they can pay via credit card, then the Euro amount will be charged in Indonesian Rupiah and the bank in your home country will charge the equivalent amount in your home currency.

So there is full transparency about room rates and the daily rates can be asked at our reception desk.

Best regards