“Lived up to its reputation”

Agriturismo Cascina Madonna
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Refrancore
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2015

This famed village restaurant was highly recommended to us by the owners of Casa Regina, the rental house we stayed in Refrancore. They booked us in well in advance of our stay and promised we would have a great time. And, we did.

11 courses, wine and grappa for €35 per person! It is hard to fathom how they make a profit. The individual courses were varied, well-presented and delicious. And they kept asking if we wanted seconds!

The service was also professional and very friendly and we really did have a wonderful time.

The restaurant easily lived up to its reputation and the four of us would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone coming to the area. Make sure you book well in advance, though!

Molto benne!

Peter

2  Thank Peter B

Reviewed 12 May 2015

Last Sunday evening we had hoped to enjoy our evening meal at Cascina Madonna having read and heard good things about the place. We booked several months ago, checked they could cope with the fact I am allergic to cow’s milk and cow’s milk products (they could) and yes they would welcome our German Shepherd Dog as long as he was well behaved (he is). They confirmed they would seat us at a corner table. We re-confirmed the arrangements two days before we showed not least because we had forgotten whether we had booked for the 10th or the 17th of May!
When we arrived we were seated at a table which, while adequate, was not a corner table. 10 minutes later after bread was served another member of staff suggested we move to another room where, while there was no corner table, the table arrangement was more spacious. No problem. About 15 minutes later another couple arrived, were seated and the gentleman commented on our beautifully behaved GSD. 7 – 8 minutes later, his companion went to the kitchen/serving door, complained and, a few minutes later, they walked outside. Since the presentation of the bread I had asked three times whether the bread contained any milk (not unusual in Piedmont) and was delighted when the member of staff who suggested we move tables arrived to tell me there was no milk in the bread. However she then told us, because the other couple had complained about our dog, if we were to be served we had to leave the dog outside. Leaving the dog outside would mean leaving the dog in the car, in a car parking area that has no significant shade, the sun was still up and the evening warm.
We declined and left, though I am unsure they were aware we had left until sometime afterwards as they were all at sixes and sevens seating other guests.
There was absolutely no front of house organisation that evening, and (we suspect) none when our booking was taken, and re-confirmed. The lady who objected to the presence of our well behaved GSD (positioned 3 – 4 metres from their table) may have severe asthma but, if the case, it is strange this would not have been flagged when their booking was made, and noted. It is also strange that it took 7 – 8 minutes for her to respond to the presence of the dog and, as her companion obviously appreciates good looking and well-behaved dogs, that he was not courteous enough to approach us with an explanation – language would not be the issue (between us we speak five). Not since 2008 when we were thrown out of La Locanda delle Grazie in Curtatone (the chef was in a rage that his front of house personnel had accepted our booking – see separate review) have we ever had a problem with a restaurant failing to honour a booking.

10  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed 31 December 2014

Our landlord in Refrancore (Casa Regina) recommended this place and made a bet with me. If I could finish all courses and then go for an ice cream afterwards in the local gellateria, I could stay there for free.... I lost the bet :-). No kidding, this has been one of the best dining experiences in my life. Incredible nice food, fantastic service and just a total package that made our holiday an unforgettable experience. Just make sure to make early reservations....it's definitly worth it!

1  Thank Roel B
Reviewed 26 November 2014

Excellent food, excellent service, charming place near the town of Asti.
I recommend it to all travelers who want to try the cuisine of Piedmont. But be careful you book before arriving in Italy!

1  Thank Roger C
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I went to this Agriturismo for dinner last year, end of May. I hosted a large group of my Italian relatives (to thank them for all their hospitality). They live in and around Torino and in the Monferrato. Some of them knew the place and had been before (in fact one cousin led me to this place--unfortunately we tried to also stay there but it was already booked). This place is absolutely fantastic. We had a wonderful time, wonderful food and wine. The staff is very welcoming and helpful but not intrusive. I can't say enough about the experience. It's not cheap but the quality is "ottimo", as one says in Italian! For what you get (a lot of top quality food and wine!) it is a great value! The setting is lovely as well, rooms elegant and decorated beautifully. Since most of the reviews are in Italian, I wanted to add mine in English to encourage English-speaking travelers to consider this place. I would love to go again any time. The only problem is that the food is so very good and so very generous that you end up eating too much. However, due to the high quality of the food and wine, I did not have either heartburn nor indigestion that night! You would just never find a place like this in the United States! A little off the beaten path but so very worth it!

1  Thank Vince1900