“Okay I guess”

Captain Oliver's Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Staff phenomenal. Got locked out the first night. There is no attendant at the desk at night which they do not tell you that upon check-in. There was a sign that said call a number for emergencies. Mind you I am from the U.S. and my phone did not work. I had to walk in the dark to find a stranger to use their phone. They left a message and we waited half an hour. We had EVERYTHING in there but keys and wallet! We stayed at atrium for double the price and was amazing there! The next morning housekeeping let us in. Manager was VERY friendly and apologetic! He gave me free breakfast and free mini bar. I could not get my money back for that night I didn't occupy room because I did it through a 3rd party. I still think more could be done because a/c kept breaking down. The last night I slept in the heat and had a panic attack and went to hospital. Beautiful location, clean and nice staff BUT NO CENTRAL A/C THEY DO NOT MENTION THAT. It says A/C but not central its a wall unit they keep putting Freon in. I suffer from many illnesses and was very uncomfortable. Pool scenery is nice minus wifi not working at pool, the cats that prowl the pool at night and the iguanas running around (which is expected it is an island). As you can see no one at front desk at night and unit in room.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Stayed about eight days here, in a oceanfront, larger guest room. The views are great from the oceanfront rooms, and for the island, the room prices were very reasonable.
Upon arrival, the assorted front desk staff, Laura, Stephan, and especially "Trefont" were very nice and accommodating. This hotel is a older, and at times could use some upgrades and additional maintence, yet they are more than willing to help and assist to make things right during your stay ! The marina is nearby, and restaurants are within walking distance as well. We will stay here again, reasonable and drivable elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose oceanfront rooms 105-110 away from pool, nice views and quieter as well !!!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry M
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

The hotel was difficult to find, but owing to the remote location I was able to find peace and quiet. It's a 30-minute ride to both Grand Case and Philipsburg.

The room was clean but in need of maintenance and repair. It had, for instance, a fishy, metallic smell that lingered on my clothes and belongings. The drawer doors were so stiff and difficult to open that I began leaving them ajar. (The nightstand to the right of the bed was so difficult to open that the handle fell off. The same happened to the veranda door.) There wasn't any hot water in the bathroom; the tissue box became wet, turned blue (?), and smelled foul when I pulled some out.

The staff and crew were friendly and accommodating, and there were some good French restaurants and supermarkets nearby. All things considered, I wouldn't pay full price to stay here again, and would only consider doing so at a significant markdown.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2017

This Hotel was selected particularly for the value (reasonable pricing, condition of the property, amenities, and location). We travelled to SXM early August 2016 and found that Captain Oliver's Hotel was fit for our vacation. It was very affordable to stay there and Dessi Pantova was very helpful with some arrangements prior to arrival to ensure that our trip was memorable and also with scheduling and providing information for local activities. Although most of our time was spent out and about SXM, the condition of the property was of importance. We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View room, which was very spacious, very clean (daily housekeeping) and and had a great view of the ocean. The general property does need some upgrades.... The pool was fairly large, in-room safes were a plus, and there was also a television in room. There were absolutely no maintenance issues during our stay. The location was ideal since we were exploring the island. The hotel is centrally located (between the French & Dutch). We enjoyed many restaurants and nightlife on the Dutch side and enjoyed water-sports and other activities on the French side. It was an absolutely wonderful vacation!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean View Rooms - Great view, Large Sunny, Short Walk to Pool.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyMonzz
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Location is not bad, nice little bars near there and good outlook on ocean and marina.
Prices where very reasonable so easy to put up with as similar accommodation would cost you twice that much. stayed 4 days there and management was very helpful considering the issue the place has and will have in the future if nothing will be done.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
6.2 km away
L'Esperance Hotel
L'Esperance Hotel
#8 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Captain Oliver's Hotel? Share your experiences!